× This forum is for photographs of Oscars ONLY

New 75 Gallon lego setup

• fdriller9
  • fdriller9's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3

fdriller9 created the topic: New 75 Gallon lego setup

Hey guys this is my first post here and I wanted to share my new tank setup. I've had my tiger oscar for about a year now in a 29 gallon tank but he quickly outgrew it. I upgraded to a 75 gallon tank and it is just about done cycling....still slightly cloudy. It's been up for about a month and today I acclimated my oscar! Hope he does ok!

There are also 3 zebra dainos in there that I cycled the tank with. And a pleco from my old tank; he's really small. Not sure if it would be a good idea to keep him in there for any longer. I know the dainos will probably get eaten. Especially the smallest one.

Now I have a question. I have a canister filter, magnum 350. I know sand is not really recommended as it can get trapped in the magnet area of the propeller and damage it. But I already set it up so....

What do you guys do about the sand getting into the filter? I have a polishing pad zip tied around the intake grate. But that's kinda expensive. I've heard of using pantyhose/nylons as well. Any thing else?

Thanks!

And yes, that's a bong.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JasonR
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hey man...Got a light?
  • Thank you received: 452

JasonR replied the topic: Re: New 75 Gallon lego setup

Very cool idea and yes that is a bong! :laugh: I think soon enough your Oscar will start rearranging things in there! :lol:

Regarding the filter, can you shorten the intake tube somehow? In all my sand tanks I have the intakes well above the sand and this takes care if any issues

• fdriller9
  • fdriller9's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3

fdriller9 replied the topic: Re: New 75 Gallon lego setup

JasonR wrote: Very cool idea and yes that is a bong! :laugh: I think soon enough your Oscar will start rearranging things in there! :lol:

Regarding the filter, can you shorten the intake tube somehow? In all my sand tanks I have the intakes well above the sand and this takes care if any issues

Thanks! The intake is sitting about the middle of the tank. If you look at the second picture, you can see the polishing pad wrapped intake right above that old filter, on the right.

The problem with my setup though is that the air wand/stone agitates the sand a bit and any loose particles fly up with the air and get tossed around the tank.

• Thank you received: 297

cebosound replied the topic: Re: New 75 Gallon lego setup

nice tank and healthy looking O.

keep up the good work. :)

My YouTube Channel:http://www.youtube.com/user/cebosound1?blend=1&ob=0

• JasonR
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hey man...Got a light?
  • Thank you received: 452

JasonR replied the topic: Re: New 75 Gallon lego setup

fdriller9 wrote:

JasonR wrote: Very cool idea and yes that is a bong! :laugh: I think soon enough your Oscar will start rearranging things in there! :lol:

Thanks! The intake is sitting about the middle of the tank. If you look at the second picture, you can see the polishing pad wrapped intake right above that old filter, on the right.

The problem with my setup though is that the air wand/stone agitates the sand a bit and any loose particles fly up with the air and get tossed around the tank.

Yeah I had that prob with my airstones, you just have to move them well away from the intake or figure something else out...

• Thank you received: 26

dotti90 replied the topic: Re: New 75 Gallon lego setup

Welcome hopefully your O doesn't see any of the lego as food and try and swallow it =( and also i hope that bong has never been used as it may leech chemicals into the water. also i hope your oscars growth hasnt been stunted =( because he still looks very small for a year old

• RoxyTheDog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Love your Pets.
  • Thank you received: 166

RoxyTheDog replied the topic: Re: New 75 Gallon lego setup

Very colorful tank your oscars gonna have fun trying to move all that leggo!
Regarding the sand, when i first put it in my tank i had sand on and in everything but after a few weeks of vacuuming most of the finer particles had gone leaving the heavier sand which stays on the bottom where it belongs. If it really bothers you now you could always swap it for a more coarse type.
Having your intake nice and high like you do helps as well :)

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

• bassetman
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Parachromis and Caquetaia thorichthys Addict
  • Thank you received: 182

bassetman replied the topic: Re: New 75 Gallon lego setup

If your oscar gets listless and just lays about eating chips you may have to take the bong from him, and keep a close eye out for papers. ;)

Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement

• Hexclover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Stimulate the economy by buying me a BEER!
  • Thank you received: 74

Hexclover replied the topic: Re: New 75 Gallon lego setup

love the bong in the tank :woohoo: ... but why would you put it in your fish tank? :laugh:

• Hexclover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Stimulate the economy by buying me a BEER!
  • Thank you received: 74

Hexclover replied the topic: Re: New 75 Gallon lego setup

dotti90 wrote: Welcome hopefully your O doesn't see any of the lego as food and try and swallow it =( and also i hope that bong has never been used as it may leech chemicals into the water. also i hope your oscars growth hasnt been stunted =( because he still looks very small for a year old

that bong has either been cleaned very well or it hasn't been used you can tell....

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.146 seconds