× This forum is for photographs of Oscars ONLY

Setup advice for a 125g for Oscar.

• 6629's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

6629 created the topic: Setup advice for a 125g for Oscar.

I am about to purchase a 125 g tank. During the cycle period can I setup a new filter, then once cycled add another filter from old tank without problems for either setup? Also what substrate is best suited for oscars. They come from the muddy amazon but dunno if gravel is the best choice????

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Ohhz
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Ohhz replied the topic: Re: Setup advice for a 125g for Oscar.

I advise not to use gravel, unless you really want it. Your oscars can actually choke on it, or if swallowed, if the rock is too large it will not pass. I am going to get a 100 Gallon on sunday, and im ganna be getting sand in my tank, plus, its easier to clean :) And as long as your fish arent sick in the tank with the filter being used it should be fine I think. Wait for someone to confirm this though please.

• Thank you received: 8

Sully replied the topic: Re: Setup advice for a 125g for Oscar.

It is totally up to you BUT don't be scarred away from gravel... I have 4 tanks with gravel and it is perfectly fine for oscars. I tried sand and I personally didn't care for it because as soon as they start poohing, your gonna see it and after 3 or 4 days your sand is covered with pooh. When they scoop it up and spit it out, it makes a mess of the tank. Again, this is just my personal preference. Yes they do pick up gravel, move it around and "rearrange" their tank BUT they are not going to swallow it.

Congrats on the 125!!! Your fishies will be very happy!!!

• Ohhz
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

No, not all the time, but some oscars will do it, maybe not on purpose, accidents do happen, even to animals right?? Im just a major worry wort :dry:

• Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

6629 replied the topic: Re: Setup advice for a 125g for Oscar.

So how about large gravel? like the size of a quarter... do they even make large grade gravel for aquariums? what would be an alternative to sand and or gravel?

• Thank you received: 297

cebosound replied the topic: Re: Setup advice for a 125g for Oscar.

i have never had an Oscar choke on gravel... :unsure:

The key for your 125 is have the most amount of filtration as possible. substrate or no substrate doesnt really matter , thats mostly for looks. i like driftwood in an oscar tank, but then again thats personal preference. truthfully the less decor means more water volume and thats good in an O tank.

don't forget about waterchanges. :cheer:

My YouTube Channel:http://www.youtube.com/user/cebosound1?blend=1&ob=0

• benmcfadden
  • Loose Lips Sink Ships
  • Thank you received: 877

benmcfadden replied the topic: Re: Setup advice for a 125g for Oscar.

I think personally gravel is easier than sand. But it's what ever "theme" you are going for. Look at tanks on YouTube and see what you like and copy or change there designs

Haku, I knew your were good.

• Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

6629 replied the topic: Re: Setup advice for a 125g for Oscar.

So would a fluval fx5 and a fluval 406 be enough filtration or should I look at alternatives. Also how many oxygen stone should I use? And what heater should I use for the 125?

• Ohhz
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Keep in mind though your oscar will grow, so as he grows the gravel is ganna be smaller compaired to him, like people said it hasnt happened to them personally but it can happen, im just a worry wort im sorry.

I thought that oscars live where there is sand? So thats another reason I am picking sand.

But if you want gravel go with gravel. My oscars do pick up the pieces but I dont think I have had an oscar swallow any, but like I said, im just scared of what COULD happen, not meaning that absolutely if you put gravel in that your oscar will eat it, either on accident, or purposely. I think they pick up the gravel to look for food underneath or just to move it around.

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Ohio Cichlid Association Chairmen
  • Thank you received: 439

ehall67 replied the topic: Re: Setup advice for a 125g for Oscar.

Bubblers(oxygen stones) you don't HAVE to have .. what you need to oxygenate the water is surface agitation . and that come from a return on the pipe making the top of the water choppy or ripple !

you can have them however if you like them :) I sometimes keep them in a smaller tank that has baby fish because I like the look of it but nothing more than that really

Congrats on 125 tho thats awesome !!

heater you want around 250 watts how every you get it (best to use 2 heaters that add up to that unless you live some where very cold you might need more watts) but I get away with about 2 watts to the gallon in Ohio

The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds