× This forum is for photographs of Oscars ONLY

oscar community

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: oscar community

noodle wrote: Draco your fish are amazing! I wish that I lived near you so I could come over and drool on your tanks (not that there is anything wrong with that).

I think many people claim anything that is light in colour to be an albino without having any understanding of what "albino" means. Albinism is a recessive genetic disorder which is not always as obvious as we wish it was. Sometimes an animal that has no pigmentation and red eyes is albino but unfortunately it is not that cut and dry, sometimes a red eyed no pigmentation animal is not an albino. I know with mice there are white genes and red eye genes that are completely different to albinism. It is possible to have a red eyed white mouse that is not albino, the only way to know apart from genetic tests would be to breed it with another mouse of known genetics or to know the history of its parentage.

I don't know much about oscar colour genetics but from what I have seen in oscar colouring I think it is safe to assume that there is a lot going on and it is not necessarily safe to call any white oscar with red eyes an albino. We have all seen whit oscars with red eyes and a black dot on them somewhere which tells us they are not true albino. I dare say that only a genetic test could confirm if an oscar fish is a true albino or not.

thanks for the nice word noodle... i wish we are just neighbor who could dropbye anytime LOL!

yeah, i know what you are trying to point out... but for this hobby... who care to do the testing...

as i have said, in my place, anything that is light in color that normally differ from the common kind is called ALBINO. the argument and discussion always comes and go... but i didn't see anyone who did the laboratory test to support the claim LOL!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

the picture shown ealier is one of my test sample... having same color dragon fin in there, one with redeyes and one with black eyes... people call the red eyes as Albino while the black eyes as platinum... i don't knw how did they arrived on that calling but for me... they are just beautiful dragon fin fish in a community.

after some sharing of insight about albinism, lucistic, and melanistic, let us comeback to the oscar community... LOL!

just some update of my oscar community tank...

• Thank you received: 4

adnanyastronot replied the topic: oscar community

Beautiful, healthy looking Oscars! I noticed that some of your Oscar fish tails are kind of triangle type of shape and that's pretty cool, isn't it? Most of Oscars usually have oval type of tail.

actually, i am surprised about it too... diamond shape tail... they were my latest acquisition, i've got them about 2" long (body) and now they are about 5" long...

when they were still small:

The following user(s) said Thank You: adnanyastronot

• Thank you received: 18

turtle lover replied the topic: oscar community

DRACO wrote: actually, i am surprised about it too... diamond shape tail... they were my latest acquisition, i've got them about 2" long (body) and now they are about 5" long...

Adorable. Is it an adult now or still growing?

turtle lover wrote:

DRACO wrote: actually, i am surprised about it too... diamond shape tail... they were my latest acquisition, i've got them about 2" long (body) and now they are about 5" long...

Adorable. Is it an adult now or still growing?

barely an adult... remains to be a juvy but a big juvy... LOL!

• Thank you received: 18

turtle lover replied the topic: oscar community

I did notice the alligator gar in the tank.

turtle lover wrote: I did notice the alligator gar in the tank.

basically yes... there is 1 small gator in there... trying to grow it a bit before mixing him with the monster tank

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds