RAM upgrade??

• marcus
  • marcus's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

marcus created the topic: RAM upgrade??

Was considering upping the ram in my laptop. at the mo its 2 x515 DDR. i was going to add 2x1gb DDR, is it worth the extra cost of £60. would it be a noticeable change?? and in what way.?

Be the change that you want to see in the world.
Mohandas Gandhi

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL replied the topic: Re: RAM upgrade??

It sounds like your laptop is fairly old if that is all the amount of RAM it has got, I haven't seen any with less than 2 GB of RAM these days. It depends on exactly what you are doing with your laptop. If you are running games or graphics programs then you will need quite a lots of RAM, things will run very slowly if you haven't got it. However, if you are only using it for browsing the Internet or using Word for instance, then you might not benefit that much from upgrading to a lots more.

I have got a Fujitsu Siemens PC I bought in 2002 and it has only got 1 GB of RAM, actually, two 512 sticks the same as you, I only use it for browsing the Internet and it works perfectly okay, actually it's quite fast. But if I put some modern programs on it it would probably run a lot slower.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• marcus
  • marcus's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

marcus replied the topic: Re: RAM upgrade??

Yes its fairly old (02 like yours)and I am long over due for a new comp. for the amount of time i spend surfing I should get a new tower and decent monitor really. I was thinking that even if I did get another new comp, I would still use the laptop as I have photoshop on it and I take it on holidays along with my camera. maybe I should trade it in for a better model.

Be the change that you want to see in the world.
Mohandas Gandhi

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL replied the topic: Re: RAM upgrade??

I don't think you will get much money for a computer that old, I've only ever been able to get around 50 quid fully older computers, and that includes the keyboard and monitor. I got my computers from Cyberpower and I have been relatively pleased with my purchases. I would say I get a slightly better deal than if I bought from the high street. I have had three computers from them, two of them have 4 gigabytes of RAM, my main computer has 6 GB. They are shipping new computers with Windows 7 64 bit which I know some people don't like, personally I've had no problems.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• PAUL
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

PAUL replied the topic: Re: RAM upgrade??

my old laptop bugged down and repair would cost too much... thus, i just
buy a new generic laptop with 2gig ram and dismantle the old unit and use
160 gig hard disk as my external hard disk.... i am very satisfied with the
2 gig ram and yet i can still use my old hard disk...(using enclosure gadgets)

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.161 seconds