Computer Kept Turning off Automatically

• OFL
  • OFL's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL created the topic: Computer Kept Turning off Automatically

Does anybody know if you you could have problems such as the computer turning off automatically if you have let's say a printer USB cable plugged into your computer but not into a printer, in other words dangling in midair?

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0

ViolentJ replied the topic: Re: Computer Kept Turning off Automatically

Shouldn't cause it. Most common cause for a computer just turning off is a failing power supply. Simple to replace if that's the case.

• xe_king
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performan

xe_king replied the topic: Re:Computer Kept Turning off Automatically

Could be overheating.. Mine did that very bad for a long time... Try taking a vacuum to the air intakes and outputs. maybe even take the shell off and clean it out.. Make sure your fans are working too...

• biggamehunter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

biggamehunter replied the topic: Re: Computer Kept Turning off Automatically

i have had it with an old battery inside the hard drive ........

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

OFL replied the topic: Re: Computer Kept Turning off Automatically

it's only a few weeks old so better not be the power supply. I don't think it is because it only started happening after I had moved it into its new position. I didn't realise that it was half an inch wider than my old computer. My workstation was custom made to fit a standard computer which seemed to be slightly narrower than my new one. Anyway, a carpenter friend made the space wider for me and it fitted okay. That is when they started turning off automatically. I think it did it around three times the first day. Then I realised that there was an event on the side of the computer that was being obstructed so he chopped the piece out of the side of the Cabinet. But it still did it once or twice. Then I unplugged the USB cable and it hasn't done in two or three days and it's been on for 12 hours a day.

I did wonder whether some dust may have got inside , that may cause a problem. However, I really don't know, but I'm pleased it hasn't done it again.

• Win
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Win replied the topic: Re: Computer Kept Turning off Automatically

sounds like you either have your power save settins configured wrong, or you have bad wiring/power surges, or a failing power supply. and yea, even brand new computers come out with bad parts sometimes, my mother just bought a new laptop and 3 days after owning it a ram module failed. do your lights ever flicker??? you may need to buy a UPS to get some steady voltage to the power supply.

you might check to see if there are any loose connections in your box, but if is a new computer like you said you may void the warranty opening it up to check it out, in which case you need to return it to where you got it and let them check it out under the waranty care/protection plan.

i buy my pc's at bestbuy with 3 year warranty, if ANYTHING messes up i take it back and they should fix it at no charge.

oscarRic replied the topic: Re: Computer Kept Turning off Automatically

well if i understood correctly,,,it started After your friend made a hole in the cabinet for you.(hopefuuly meaning you had it up and running before that already)now if so...

you can probably narrow it down to 2 things Hopefuuly.

1) while moving it around,,something has come loose in the back,,,hopefully,,easiest and simplest make sure all wires are snug where they belong,,mainly your power cord that goes into the power supply,,,mine was loose before and would shut off if i hit it with my leg.
(to check wires shut system off,before proceeding with them)

2)i would really check on your temperatures after checking your wires.
temperaturs should be no higher then 50 for your cpu,,above 50 and you will start to run into problems.

i have a simple 1.8 megabyte program that i install and uninstall from time to time.it is free trial for 14 days.it does not require anything.a download a setup..and it will appear on your desktop.click it your stuff(heat,fan rpm, and power supply) will be there being monitered.

here is the site incase you need to look into this further.

www.hmonitor.net/ [/url]

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

OFL replied the topic: Re: Computer Kept Turning off Automatically

I'm hoping it was probably a loose wire or something because touch wood, the computer seems to have been okay. Yes, the computer was running for a couple of weeks before I moved it, no problems.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds