Calling All My Computer Friends

• OFL
  • OFL's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL created the topic: Calling All My Computer Friends

Okay, been having some problems connecting to websites in the last couple of days and it is really getting me down. It is affecting all three computers that are connected to my netgear router so I can probably rule out problems with just one computer.

I'm connected to MSN messenger so okay so it's definitely not a problem such as the Internet is totally down. However, when I try and open up websites such as this one, it's telling the Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage. And then it will work perfectly okay.

I have just unplugged the LAN cable to another computer that's on my network and plugged in the little areal into the wireless card and this seems to work perfectly okay, this is how I am managing to add this post to the website. So it seems that a wireless part of my Internet connection is okay. Could it be a problem with my router?

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0

jbeano replied the topic: Re:Calling All My Computer Friends

have you tried re-booting your router (unplugging counting to ten, then turning on again)
sometimes my netgear router just switches itself off, for no reason, a quick reboot and its ok again :)

• PAUL
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

PAUL replied the topic: Re:Calling All My Computer Friends

probably yes.... two night ago... i have a hard time connecting to the
internet using wireless router.... i feel bad and ask assistance from my kids.
when he reset the router, my transceiver works perfectly.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

OFL replied the topic: Re:Calling All My Computer Friends

I did try turning it off for a while but it made no different. At the moment, it's working perfectly okay on wireless on my older computer. Damned annoying to say the least.

jbeano replied the topic: Re:Calling All My Computer Friends

dont know how yours is setup. But i have one pc that is the master, and has the software for router installed on it. This runs the network that my other pc runs off plus xbox360. This netgeaar software also disconnects sometimes and needs to be told to re-connect through its interface. this also affects the network if its playing up.

sorry cant be more helpful, other than re-installing netgear software incase its got corrupted somewhere

Sinstinna replied the topic: Re: Calling All My Computer Friends

Check your router settings Boss and settings in IE. How clean are your puters? What do you use to keep them clean? I have a great tool called CCleaner that keeps me running smooth. I hope you already have it fixed :)

If you can't beat them...arrange to have them beaten!

• Win
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Win replied the topic: Re: Calling All My Computer Friends

ah i have the netgear wpn824v3 wireless rangemax router and a matching wpn311 rangemax wireless pci adapter. and yea sometimes i have the same errror. i just hit f5 (refresh) and the page will usually come up. it doesnt always happen but when it does it does get annoying pretty quickly. i have it for gaming. its 108mb/sec wireless connection. for this purpose it is excellent. ive updated all the firmware and drivers i have and it seems the problem has gone away. you might try that Penn.

oh, and you dont need to have the router software installed onto your computer. you can access it via typing routerlogin.com into your browser.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

OFL replied the topic: Re: Calling All My Computer Friends

Okay, problem is almost sorted. I have actually replace the netgear with my BT Hub and it seems to be running really nicely, and actually rather quicker than the old router. Two of the computers are running ethernet cables, the third computer is wireless and I cannot get it to work wirelessly. It's picking up all my neighbours wireless routers, but not mine. The problem is, when I go into the settings of the router, I have to enter in a password and user name, they should be admin and admin, however, these don't work so I can't change any settings. the wireless computer isn't at fault, because it is picking up a wireless connection okay, I think it's just a setting that I've got to change on the hub, until I can get these bloody passwords to work, I'm stuck. Anyway, the two computers that I use most of the time have both got a good Internet connection.

TonyT replied the topic: Re:Calling All My Computer Friends

if you look on the back of the router there'll be a small hole, about the size of a pin head.. if you shove a pin down this, hold it in for about 10 seconds it should reset the router to factory defauls, including the admin admin user/pass..

you can then add the machine that wont see it as well as all the others...

i suspect there might be some sort of security on the router preventing wireless access on the offending machine

hope this helps

Tony

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

OFL replied the topic: Re:Calling All My Computer Friends

I'm not sure which BT hub I've got, it's a white one, I received it about a year ago, a little gift if I stayed on for another 12 months with BT broadband. anyway, I was reading that some versions of the BT hub now use the serial number as the password. I did try this but it did not work, however, I didn't actually enter s/n, or three digits at the end of the serial number.

Also, I've been reading that you shouldn't use the disc that comes with the router for installation the hub should work straight away when you plug it in. Unfortunately, I did insert the CD, it's ridiculous, it doesn't tell you in the actual documentation that you shouldn't use the CD. So I'm thinking that I had done something wrong. Having said that, I'm amazed how much quicker my Internet connection is now I'm using the BT hub, maybe I should have started using it ages ago.

BT have got their own forum which I have just tried to join. After I finished the first part of the registration, I got a message saying "Sorry, that username already exists. Please choose another one" I wasn't even prompted to use a username so I'm not sure where that was coming from. Anyway, I wasn't able to register because of this. I had the same thing happened the other day, not sure what's happening. Anyway, I'm really pleased with the speed so far, it would just be nice to get the other computer working wirelessly

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds