Mozilla Firefox Minefield for Vista 64-Bit

• OFL
  • OFL's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL created the topic: Mozilla Firefox Minefield for Vista 64-Bit

At last, I am able to use Firefox on Vista 64-bit system. A few weeks ago I stumbled across Firefox minefield but didn't really pay much attention to it. However, I've been so frustrated lately trying to run my websites, plus carry out construction & maintenance using Internet Explorer and Google chrome, I decided I was going to have another look and see what the score was. You have to do a little searching because there doesn't seem to be any official source to download Firefox Minefield. I have now installed it and I can't believe the difference between Chrome and Minefield. It is so incredibly fast, I'm pretty bloody impressed to say the least. Anyway, just thought I would let you all know in case there's anyone out there wishing they could still use their beloved Firefox but can't because it doesn't work properly on 64-bit.

I have only been using it for a few days so I suppose I better reserve judgment for a couple of weeks, things do tend to go tits up when I hype them up too much. But, give it go for yourself and tell me what you think.

I believe there are a couple of issues that one may need to take into account before using it. I don't think that it supports Adobe Flash just at the moment,which means you may not be able to view YouTube videos & other things that are similar. I could be wrong but it might be fixed, but I believe it's still in its infancy so there are a few things that still need to be ironed out. I think this particular browser will be appeal to those of us who carry out website development, rather than just people you browse the Internet, Google Chrome does a good job there

www.start64.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=149&Itemid=1

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jenni
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Booze is the answer, but I forget the question...
  • Thank you received: 5

Jenni replied the topic: Re:Mozilla Firefox Minefield for Vista 64-Bit

We've had Vista Ultimate 64 for about a year now and have ALWAYS used Firefox. I wonder why it wouldn't work on your system? :huh:

If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy?

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

OFL replied the topic: Re:Mozilla Firefox Minefield for Vista 64-Bit

I have no idea Jenni. All I do know is that it would not work on either of my computers that were running Vista 64-bit system. When I say it wouldn't let, it did work, but I would get boxes popping up telling me that I needed to restart Firefox, silly little things like that.it didn't just come to a halt. After looking on the Internet, I realize that I wasn't the only person having the problem. Anyway, Firefox minefield seems to be working perfectly okay, apart from some plug-ins can't seem to be installed. For instance, I'm not able to watch any flash-based videos YouTube won't work either. However, if I need to watch any of them, I move over to chrome.

• Jenni
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

That's just weird! I have had zero problems with Firefox and Vista 64. I have noticed other issues with Vista 64 though. It doesn't like a LOT of games, has issues with various other programs, and is just a general all around pain in the arse. That's why I think we'll soon be upgrading to Windows 7. :)

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

I am not a gamer so I can't really comment on issues with that. However, I actually really like Vista, much better than XP in my opinion. The only problem I've found is that some companies are not creating drivers for the updated operating systems. I use a special trackball mouse that has programmable buttons. Kensington didn't update their drivers for Vista. Having said that, if you are using Vista 32-bit, there is actually a very simple way to get it working flawlessly. Unfortunately Vista 64-bit system was completely the opposite, you are not able to hack the software and get it working. But, there was a light at the end of the tunnel, Vista has built-in editing controls for a mouse. So I was able to program my mouse to do what I want and I actually prefer it like it is now rather than when I was using the software.

I haven't really spoken to many people have used Windows 7. I wouldn't mind testing it and seeing if I can load it onto my machine and have both Vista and Windows seven, maybe swap between the two.

• Jenni
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

I've got a friend who is a royal computer geek, and he just bought Windows 7 for his computer repair business, so he's got several volume license keys. He said he'd hook us up for free. BONUS! He says that it runs a lot smoother than Vista. The way he described it to me was they took all the good things from Vista, cut out the bad, and put it into a much more streamlined OS. We have it on all the new computers at work (I work in the electronics dept. of a grocery/dept store) and the little bits that I've been able to play on it I like it.

My parents had the same issue with their Kensington trackball. Before I could help them fix it, my mother just went out and bought a new mouse. LOL I think she's even more impatient than I am!

• Thank you received: 0

ViolentJ replied the topic: Re:Mozilla Firefox Minefield for Vista 64-Bit

I've used Firefox on 64bit windows for a long time without issue. I've put 7 ultimate 64bit on all 4 pc's in my house and it runs much nicer than Vista used to. Can't fault it.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

Which version of Firefox are you using? just did a quick search on Google and this was about the first site that came up when I type in Firefox 3.5 Vista 64-bit. it seems that quite a few people have had the same problem with me when using Firefox 3.5 with Vista 64-bit. Like I said, it wouldn't work properly on either of my 64-bit machines. When it did work, it was perfectly okay, it would then just crash for no reason.

forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1350255

• Thank you received: 0

ViolentJ replied the topic: Re:Mozilla Firefox Minefield for Vista 64-Bit

I've always used the latest version of the general release. Right now that's 3.5.5

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

anyway, Firefox minefield is working great, really fast, and hopefully they will sort out the plug-ins.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds