Very Noisy PC on Startup

• Thank you received: 297

cebosound replied the topic: Re:Very Noisy PC on Startup

OFL wrote:

I was informed the other day that I might run into problems with my Windows 7 64 bit system because I installed a program called Ham Radio Deluxe that can by all accounts run into a few problems on 64-bit systems. Why the hell are Microsoft churning out software that isn't always compatible with software that is already out there? I run a program called Dragon NaturallySpeaking and I have to turn off my UAC for it to run, this was also on the Vista 64-bit. This is absolutely ridiculous, it is actually putting my PC at risk. I suppose it's six of one half a dozen of the other.

Hi Penn, unfortunately some software is still playing catch up to the 64bit world. I think it won't be long until all software will have a 64bit version that will run great on our 64bit systems.

As far as the "Very Noisy PC on Startup". I have ran into this before and it seemed like I added more Ram and it solved it. It turned out my RAM was too full and my harddrive was working extra hard to get going. Just a suggestion.

My YouTube Channel:http://www.youtube.com/user/cebosound1?blend=1&ob=0

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • OFL's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Re:Very Noisy PC on Startup

Is got four gigs of RAM so I would imagine that is adequate, I didn't tend to run any heavy programs from that particular computer, apart from photo shop which will cope more than okay with four gigs I would have thought.

It seems to be the rear fan. It looks as though it is going slower than it should when it is making the noise, when the noise stops, it is whizzing around really quickly.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

OFL wrote:

Is got four gigs of RAM so I would imagine that is adequate, I didn't tend to run any heavy programs from that particular computer, apart from photo shop which will cope more than okay with four gigs I would have thought.

It seems to be the rear fan. It looks as though it is going slower than it should when it is making the noise, when the noise stops, it is whizzing around really quickly.

Yeah, your good with 4 gigs. My old laptops fan was making a lot of noise. I ended up finding a fan on ebay that was inexpensive, but just before I ordered I read an article about cleaning your computer and your fan. What I did is took the computer apart and sprayed the fan with the one of those spray cleaners. ( you know the cold ones; not sure what they are called actually :huh: :laugh: ). It worked though, it got rid of some of the dust and grime and allowed the fan to flow more smoothly. might want to try that first.

I found videos on youtube of how to clean your PC fan and/or replacing the fan.

This video is an example, but there are many videos out there...

• OFL
  • OFL's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Re:Very Noisy PC on Startup

Good idea, I might give it a good clean, I will have to get hold of some of that spray

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Thank you received: 0

trev replied the topic: Re:Very Noisy PC on Startup

Fans can be fine for years, and then you get that not-so-great noise. I believe they are all important... from fan cases to CPU... they all help as a collective. Depends on your hardware though (my SCSI drive runs hot enough for eggs to fry - cooling is a must). Annoying electronics and heat don't go hand in hand.

My gateway box is 13 years old and I've replaced the power supply but the fans are chugging along fine. They are turning over no slower than one of my workstations which 2 fans nuked themselves within 3 months, about 2 years ago. No problems since though.

Any fan that makes a noise I end up replacing - I don't bother attempting to clean them. The data on my boxes are precious (and backed up with backups of those backups). So if there is any risk of hardware failure for myself, then the dying fan gets fed to my garbage bin.

Be aware too blue screens can be caused by hardware failing... hard drives running too hot and starting to snuff it as an example. Or bad RAM, or... <insert reason here>...

Keep them fans chugging!

Good times

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds