WEBSITE INFO - Some Doubts!

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL replied the topic: Re: WEBSITE INFO - Some Doubts!

Unless stated, all the information is then written by myself. I'm in the UK so obviously I will be talking in UK gallons. To be quite honest, I think there is only about 5 gallons between US and UK so it's probably not even worth worrying about

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Matt
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Serrasalmus Rhombeus, any questions?
  • Thank you received: 151

Matt replied the topic: Re: WEBSITE INFO - Some Doubts!

There ya go, can't get more definitive than that :D

I guess it depends who the author is and where they live. Most from the US will be talking in US gallons, I've noticed a great deal of our UK members talk in liters over UK gallons, but safe to assume if they are talking in gallons it's UK and not US.

Personally I talk in US gallons, since the metric system is just all a bunch of mumbo jumbo to me :P

cebosound wrote: Waterchange, Waterchange, waterchange... till your knuckles are bleeding. ;) :lol:

My youtube page www.youtube.com/user/rwhp550?feature=mhee

• Thank you received: 254

DRACO replied the topic: Re: WEBSITE INFO - Some Doubts!

S.S. wrote:

DRACO wrote: some discussion of same topic 2 years ago!

www.oscarfishlover.com/forum/24-setting-up-an-oscar-fish-aquarium/99341-oscars-per-gallon?limit=12&start=12#99611

www.oscarfishlover.com/forum/13-the-oscar-fish/59499-osars-pairing-up#59702

Draco on those discussion no one says if gallons are UK or US but some maths are done by US values!

What about the author of website text or administration what they have to say about this?

for the apparent expert in fish keeping, it is not possible:
www.oscarfishlover.com/forum/13-the-oscar-fish/59499-osars-pairing-up?limit=12&start=12#59784

but in reality, it is put in practice.... i am just not sure if keeping 4
fully grown oscar in a 220 gal tank would not not be possible... but we normaly do this concept in my place... i am not an expert but they are!

• S.S.
  • S.S.'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • "Failure is giving anything less than your best"
  • Thank you received: 15

S.S. replied the topic: Re: WEBSITE INFO - Some Doubts!

Thanks to you all!

It surely there's not a big difference between 55 US or UK gal, but check between 300gal for instance:

- 300 UK = 1.363lts

- 300 US = 1.135lts

There's more than 200lts difference! More or less 20% extra water...

So for me European thinking in litres it does make a difference to know what gallons are you talking about.

Agreed of course on water changes and good filtering making the difference.

• S.S.
  • S.S.'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • "Failure is giving anything less than your best"
  • Thank you received: 15

S.S. replied the topic: Re: WEBSITE INFO - Some Doubts!

MattsOscars wrote: Can you find specific links to these discrepancies and post them please

As for the actual information, tank turn over is 5x tank volume per hour for a canister, and 10x per hour for a hang on back

And the minimum size tank we recommend for a single oscar with no tank mates is 55g and that's in US gallons i'm fairly certain.

Matts have you seen my answer to this?

And about 5x tank volume, are you talking about real water circulation inside the filter or pump power?

Filter tend to do only about 60% of pump power of water moving around the filter and being filtered in fact and back to he tank.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Re: WEBSITE INFO - Some Doubts!

It is what the vendor says about their filtration. They will label the filter in either gph or lph. Some vendors rate their filters based on no media inside. So rate it based on the media that they provide with the filters. Not a lot of people measure the gph of their canister or HOB.

Just keep it simple.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL replied the topic: Re: WEBSITE INFO - Some Doubts!

I have always used quality filtration, in fact I've never had anything but Eheim filters and pumps. When I choose one of these items for my aquarium, I look at what tank size the filter/pump is rated for. If it tells me the filter is okay for 130 gallons and I am putting it on my 125 gallon tank, then I buy two filters. At the moment, I'm using an Eheim pump in my sump that does something like 3200 L every hour, my tank is 1200 L so it was easy to choose the correct size pump. I think it is easy to get confused by all the numbers, that's why manufacturers make it simple by telling you exactly what size aquarium the filter is intended for.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Thank you received: 254

DRACO replied the topic: Re: WEBSITE INFO - Some Doubts!

S.S. wrote:

MattsOscars wrote: And about 5x tank volume, are you talking about real water circulation inside the filter or pump power?

filter power is different from filter capacity.... there are some pumps that
could deliver 2200LPH with 25Watts power while some 2500LPH at 19Watts power...
however, TDH and water friction reduces the actual flow rate...

Filter tend to do only about 60% of pump power of water moving around the filter and being filtered in fact and back to he tank.

i believe this will depends on what affects the flow rate: height; filter media
and intricate piping... my filter can make 2200LPH turn over as indicated therein

• Thank you received: 297

cebosound replied the topic: Re: WEBSITE INFO - Some Doubts!

keep in mind in the US the 55 gallon is one of the more common (easily accessable) "larger" tank you can get. So many people refer to that as the minimum tank size for Oscars.

And i think they do fine for much of the early life of an oscar. but as an adult you will need extra waterchanges, and tons of filtration and watermovement; and very little decor.

A standard size i kept most of my early years was 60 gallon . this tank was also 4 feet, but much deeper and less tall. i think this is more of an ideal size for 1 oscar. (even though its only 5 gallons more, the dimensions allow it to do much better.

My YouTube Channel:http://www.youtube.com/user/cebosound1?blend=1&ob=0

Moderators: Big-Ken
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds