OFL cichlid gallery

• UNC-CH
  • UNC-CH's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH created the topic: OFL cichlid gallery

I'm still trying to learn and identify as many different cichlids as I can. By now, I feel I should be able to identify most fish I see in pictures. But I find myself forgetting things I feel I should remember like which fish are owned by different members. And even if I remember the look of a certain fish, I might forget the name. If we had a contest, Frank's son would beat me every time hands down.

Has there ever been a thread here where members could post pictures of their fish with the name/type? It would be a great learning tool and reference aid. What about having a thread/gallery like that?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 187

DMD123 replied the topic: OFL cichlid gallery

Would be cool if members had juvenile and adult pictures of the fish since they can be so different looking. As an example Franks little Pearsei compared to my large adult. You really cant see that little fish being the same thing.

• Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: OFL cichlid gallery

We have a dozen or so board categories for different species, as well as an other fish category. As well as a photos/video spot. I think we are well covered in that area without opening another spot. Just my view, administration would have final say of course.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:OFL cichlid gallery

I kind of like that idea though kind of chronicaling our fish. No constant posting or updates just this is what my blah blah looks like and any other thoughts. Also like davids idea with having a juvie and adult

Maybe instead of opening a new area we can ask jack to make it a sticky.

would be cool to see a chronicle of everyones fish especially rocksor and suprd (stingy with their pics).
Maybe it could be a sticky jack could keep it locked so it doesnt get crazy and only add pics on a need be basis or something. Maybe through pm request so its only steadfast members and not fly by's

• UNC-CH
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

UNC-CH replied the topic: OFL cichlid gallery

@daddadoo7 - that's what I was thinking ... a list of the different fish with pictures and names, common and maybe scientific. I also like the idea of a juvie pic and adult pic, but that should be enough. Where different members have the same type of fish, more than one picture would be good to show how they can differ. But we don't need dozens of oscar pics. :lol:

It would be great to reference such a list when a member makes a post about say ... an hrc. This way, I can look at the picture and know what fish you're talking about.

I say the more pics the better may give insight on how the same fish may look with different decor and substrates.

This could be cool
The following user(s) said Thank You: UNC-CH

• UNC-CH
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

UNC-CH replied the topic: OFL cichlid gallery

No wonder I've been confused about HRPs. I keep looking for them in the videos but can never find them because all I ever see are convicts. :pinch:

• Thank you received: 97

ernie replied the topic: OFL cichlid gallery

Great idea UNC I get a little confused sometimes with abbreviations as well. Would probably need to keep it to "invite only" and get some really good specimens. some members have such fantastic fish and it would be good to see them all together.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: OFL cichlid gallery

Yes, that is a very good idea and quite easily implemented. However, we would have two make some rules about what the category is used for. It shouldn't really become a category for discussion, we got plenty of other categories where you can chat to your hearts content. If I create a category then it's is only for people to post photos of different species of fish with their name and other information such as feeding habits, breeding, etc. We would allow questions relating to the fish, but it wouldn't be permitted to turn it into a free for all talking about unrelated issues.

Tell you what you think and we could certainly put something in place

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: UNC-CH

Moderators: Big-Ken
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds