new 55 gallon african cichlid tank. HELP!!

• pinkyNthebrain2
  • pinkyNthebrain2 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

pinkyNthebrain2 created the topic: new 55 gallon african cichlid tank. HELP!!

So the bf just got a job at the local fish store... So employee discount for his crazy fish loving gf!! So I have been thinking of rehoming one of my 2 baby Oscars since they can't get along and I have always wanted to dabble in Africans... So if I do rehome the O I have a 55 gallon to play with. Is there anything I should know about keeping them? Any special decor needs? Will the hikari cichlid pellets do for them as well? I know I want some of the yellow and electric blue ones. Not really wanting to breed right away... Is it inevitable? Any pointers for a noob would be great before I jump in and get started :) o and tank mates for them? Plecos? Anything? Thanks!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 203

Big-Ken replied the topic: Re: new 55 gallon african cichlid tank. HELP!!

you need to have alot of caves (atleast one per fish if possible) this is where they sleep and cuts down on fighting since they each have there own territory. The are naturally herbivores so they need to be feed a lower protein pellet with plant matter in them, IMHO new life spectrum sinking cichlid pellet is the best out there, if you feed them to much protein they can develops bloat and die. you should be able to put 10-15 per species in your 55g and breeding is inevetable. Plecos are fine, if you want to keep a bottom feeder that's also from Africa you can get a sydontis catfish
The following user(s) said Thank You: pinkyNthebrain2

• pinkyNthebrain2
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

pinkyNthebrain2 replied the topic: Re: new 55 gallon african cichlid tank. HELP!!

What would be the best cichlids to get? I know there are several kinds but not much more. Stores around here just label a tank with several colors assorted African cichlids.. when you say 10-15 per species do u mean of each of I get several or just 10-15 chiclids?

• Thank you received: 203

Big-Ken replied the topic: Re: new 55 gallon african cichlid tank. HELP!!

you can put 20-30 in there total, the assorted stuff is alright but you dont really know what your getting and they sometimes contain hybrids and some very aggressive species. Yellow labs are a great species to start with also red zebras or yellow tail acei, they can get kinda big so I would only get 4-5 of them, rustys are nice as well. If you want a blue you can get demisoni, they stay smaller so you can throw like 15 in they also can be aggressive to there own kind, the rule with them is go with 12+ or only one otherwise the dominate male will kill the others

• Brooksie
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Have you loved your fish today?
  • Thank you received: 42

Brooksie replied the topic: Re: new 55 gallon african cichlid tank. HELP!!

Ken is right... over stock your tank, lots of caves and veggie flakes/pellets. Currently in my tank I have .... Yellow Labs .... Bumblebees .... Yellow Tailed Acei .... Blue Johannis .... Rusty Cichlids .... Red Zebras .... Cobalt Blues .... Orange Blotchs .... Giraffe Cichlid .... Pleco. I have a total of 25 + the pleco. I feed my guys Ocean Nutrition Spirulina Flakes & Pellets.. they love them! Here is a video of my tank. My YouTube site has more videos if your bored!!

Good luck... ask questions if you have them!

Brooksie

There is a fine line between sanity and insanity.... Come walk it with me!

• pinkyNthebrain2
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

pinkyNthebrain2 replied the topic: Re: new 55 gallon african cichlid tank. HELP!!

Thanks guys Yall are awesome!! I got my first 3 today with my new discount ;) I am totally in love!! I have them in my 20 gallon blue crayfish tank until the Oscar goes to his new home Saturday :) they are doin pretty good. I just got some off the assorted ones. One yellow (guess that is the yellow lab?) A blue one with black stripes and one that looks albino? He has red eyes... I think he is beautiful... I will try to get a few pics up to photobucket shortly and post the link. I was originally planning to put them on the white rocks that are already in the 55 gal but I am really liking how they look on black... But I'm also a huge sand fan... Tryin to come up with a good decoration idea...

• pinkyNthebrain2
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Re: new 55 gallon african cichlid tank. HELP!!

Overstocking will cut back on aggression, but let's remember the key word here: overstocking. You will have to have excellent filtration, in addition to stepping up your water changes to avoid excess dissolved metabolites in your water. Also, remember to keep your waters PH up there (7.8 & up, 8 is even better for these guys). If you want a good food for these guys, try freeze dried seaweed(get a lettuce clip for it) They go bonkers for this stuff.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds