Pseudo Kenyi terror

• Masterseck
  • Masterseck's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

Masterseck replied the topic: Re: Pseudo Kenyi terror

Thanks for all the insight and the offer to sex the fish Miss Nicki but I believe my search-fu has revealed the info I needed:

Excerpt from another forum:
"When the fish are ready to breed, you'll notice the male chase the female and do a mating dance, which consists of shimmying in front of the female. The female will drop eggs, and then proceed to pick them up in her mouth. The male will fertilize them. It is theorized that this is where the 'egg spots' come into play. The egg spots are the small round yellowish spots on the male's anal fin. Many feel that when the male shimmies, these look like eggs that the female hasn't yet collected. She attempts to, and the eggs that are in her mouth are able to be fertilized by the male.

The process will be repeated a number of times, until the female loses interest (just like people!). If the eggs weren't properly fertilized, they will be disposed of. If they're fertilized, they will be kept until the eggs are hatched and the yolk sacks have disappeared. This can take from three to five weeks.

If you want to keep the baby cichlids, I strongly suggest that you remove the female to a comfortable tank of her own. This can be a smaller tank, with some rockwork for her to hide in. You don't need to feed her, although when the eggs hatch (you'll see the wigglers in her mouth) you may want to toss in a very small amount of flake food. She may pick at it for the sake of the fry. "

This is exactly what was happening. This is a relief as I was afraid the yellow guy was just being a crazy jerk and bullying everybody for no reason. This morning before work I didn't notice any bullying so I assume he's gotten it out of his system and the blue guy (girl) is not eating because she's got a clutch of eggs in her mouth.

Sigh. Well it's onto my 4th tank in 3 months of fishkeeping I guess since my gf wants to keep the baby fish and not just offer it up as cichlid food or feeders for the oscar.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bassetman
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Parachromis and Caquetaia thorichthys Addict
  • Thank you received: 182

bassetman replied the topic: Re: Pseudo Kenyi terror

You need to make some plans for dealing with the fry. You can leave them in the tank for the " survival of the fittest " deal. this will take care of most of the fry but some will survive and grow slowly overcrowding the tank. Most of my fry are hybrid so I use them as feeders for My Tanganyikans, pure bred fry can be sold, but you will saturate the market fairly quickly....unless your local market has a deeper bottom than mine. You can also strip the eggs and avoid fry all together. Do not wait till you are hip deep in Mbunas to form a plan. Good luck.

Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement

• Masterseck
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

So yesterday when I got home from work the blue kenyi wasn't hiding anymore but also wasn't accepting food. I looked for spots on the yellow guy's anal fin but could not see any. The blue's throat also doesn't look distended or anything. Not sure what's happening anymore. Here's a picture of the blue. Couldn't get a decent pic of the yellow as he's swimming around too fast.

The yellow has more or less stopped harassing the blue and he's more chasing the other fish. Possibly defending his mate?

• Miss Nicki
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Miss Nicki replied the topic: Re: Pseudo Kenyi terror

It is possible she already spit them out!

But the blue is in fact a female..

• Masterseck
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Well today I noticed 2 of these little guys hiding around my tank! Unfortunately, I noticed them AFTER a good vacuuming. My blue kenyi has been eating again for about 3 or 4 days so I guess these fry are about that old. I only saw two of them though. Do you guys suspect there are more hiding or did they all get eaten/Vacuumed up? :(

It's a 55 gallon with 10 Africans in there. All of them are about 3 or 4 inches.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.072 seconds