thinking about setting up an african tank

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Re: thinking about setting up an african tank

I thought so too until I read about a wide range of ph swings occuring in planted tanks that have fish and regulated CO2 injection.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 4

Zending replied the topic: Re: thinking about setting up an african tank

If you can get the 55 Gallon, go for it.

I've been keeping Africans (Mbuna's) for the better part of 2 years now. They're very active, colorful fish. Couple pieces of advice.

The over-stocking is a MUST. They get territorial. However, you have to add fish of similar size, together, all at once. Don't give them a chance to establish themselves, then add more. You're asking for trouble.

Get ready for a lot of water-changes. More fish means more water changes.

DO NOT USE REAL SAND. Mbuna's dig. A lot. They make Oscars look like amateur diggers. They will kick the sand up, and it will get into your filter, and ruin the motors. Use a finer substrate that that won't get caught in your filter.

Don't worry so much about your PH. Use whatever your tap water is. You don't wanna get into changing your PH too much. Mine is neutral-ish, a tad high, and they're extremely happy. They'll do fine in a standard PH.

Get ready to build some caves and rock structures. They love it. That being said, make sure the rocks are on top of eggcrate, THEN add the substrate. As I said before, Africans are expert diggers. Borderline miners. They will dig caves under the rocks and collapse your structure, possibly damaging your tank in the process. Don't ask how I know this. It's a sad story.

Don't mix Africans. If you go Mbuna's, they all have to be Mbuna's. Don't get stuck thinking all Malawi Africans can be together. Peacocks and Mbunas will slaughter each other. As for the other lakes, don't mix and match. It's bad for business.

Other than that -- enjoy them. They're awesome fish. I currenly have 20 Mbuna's in a 55 gallon running a Fluval FX5. Got 14 Acei's and 6 Yellow Labs. Tons of fun! Lemme know if you have any questions!

• MetalHead88
  • MetalHead88's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 60

MetalHead88 replied the topic: Re: thinking about setting up an african tank

thank you so much for all your advice zending. im looking forward to this!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.070 seconds