Are these Electric Blue Johanni's ?

• bargri
  • bargri's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4

bargri created the topic: Are these Electric Blue Johanni's ?

[img]hhttp://s1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh597/bargri1/Electric%20Blue%20Johanni/ttp://These were sold to me as a "pair" of Electric Blue Johanni's. I know nothing about African Cichlids, and when I looked them up, they just don't look the same as the photos. Are they Electric Blues or something else?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior
  • Thank you received: 345

Nina_W replied the topic: Re: Are these Electric Blue Johanni's ?

You know how, when you hole your mouse over a picture in photobucket, a bunch of options in a white box appear? Click on the IMG code, it will say "copied" and paste that in here:

yep, that's an 'electric blue johanni'. They're maingano (melanochromis cyaneorhabdos) and true johanni crosbreeds. They grow up looking that way (mostly). Pretty fish, although temperamental. One male to seven or more females should work out just fine, though. Any other horisontally striped fish in the aquarium is going to suffer... they don't take well to conspecifics.

Opinions differ on hybrids, some hate them, some don't mind them. Just don't for a minute think this is a pure-bred fish.

• bargri
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

bargri replied the topic: Re: Are these Electric Blue Johanni's ?

Thanks for letting me know. Second question: The other one is a much paler blue color. I was reading that the females are yellow. Do I have 2 males?

• Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior

I really can't tell you there. With purebred Johanni, females are yellow, males turn blue and black later. With purebred maingano, all of them are black and blue, females have a lighter belly. With hybrids... erm?

Lighter colours more often than not just means a threatened feeling fish. Probably that the lighter one is already being bullied - take into account that with mbuna, you rarely see the bullying. It happens at night, when you're not watching.

Venting or seeing them breed will be the only way to tell. But with only two, your chances of both of them reaching adulthood is pretty slim, depending on your aquarium and your luck. If they're both female, you might have some luck, but they will hide a lot, and will still fight (or at least make threatening motions) if they see each other.

The other problem with hybrids is that they are typically a lot less discriminatory regarding what they are willing to breed with. Considering a lot of Malawi fish are basically extinct in the wild (not as bad as lake Victoria), it's something to at least try and prevent (in my mind).

May I ask what setup you have them in currently?

• Thank you received: 91

Capt Dave replied the topic: Re: Are these Electric Blue Johanni's ?

Not a johanni IMHO.

I have no idea why the water bill is so high

• Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior

Capt Dave, you're right. 'Electric blue johanni' is a pretty common trade name for the hybrid that makes fish that look like these. They're everywhere at the moment. Sigh.

• Thank you received: 60

MetalHead88 replied the topic: Re: Are these Electric Blue Johanni's ?

Avoiding hybrids can be hard sometimes when it comes to Africans especially in that "assorted african" tank. I wouldn't worry too much if it was an electric blue its still a nice looking fish.

• bargri
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

bargri replied the topic: Re: Are these Electric Blue Johanni's ?

Right now they are in one end of Oscar's tank. I do have an 80 gallon tank for them but I had to redo the sealant (it had been in storage for a couple of years) and it won't be cycled for another couple of weeks at least. My daughter begged for them, and I did the "bad" thing of giving in. How many do you think I should have in the 80gl tank? I'll need to get the others in time to be ready to put all of them in the new tank at the same time. In other words, should get them this weekend.

• Thank you received: 60

MetalHead88 replied the topic: Re: Are these Electric Blue Johanni's ?

africans shouldnt be kept with oscars - sounds like you know this though. they are require different water conditions and also can be much more aggressive then american cichlids.

if you got them this weekend what tank do you plan on putting them in? i wouldnt get any more fish until the 80 is fully cycled - then get about 20 mbuna total and get them in at the same time (old ones like ur fish here and whatever else you decide to get) so when your tank is finished cycling, make a run to the store, get the rest of the stock, and add your current to the new tank then.

there wont be any territorial issues since they are being added into a new tank - i think they are too young for that kinda stuff anyways. goodluck with the new tank!

also build as many caves as possible. 1 cave per fish minimum.

• Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior

Metal Head's advice is and isn't very good. Please don't get 20 random 'african' fish and chuck them into your tank. Within a year, there will have been carnage.

How many fish really depends on the footprint. You're looking at one breeding group for a foot of aquarium length, minus one. If you have a 48 by 12 footprint aquarium, three species. If you have a 48 by 48 aquarium, still only three species.

What you should do is research which species you want to keep, and decide how many based on the footprint of your tank.

So, if you want to keep the 'electric blues' (and why not, they sure are lovely), you want to get a group of about 16 juvenile fish, and take back all the extra males that appear and get kicked out of the group until you have one male, and seven or so females.

Might I suggest yellow labs (labidochromis caeruleus), snowies (albino pseudotropheus socolofi), cobalt blue zebras (metriaclima callainos) or red zerbas (maylandia estherae) as good beginner mbuna species to choose from? All of these do really well in a group of one male to four or five females, have wonderful monomorphic colours and aren't too badly agressive. So you would get double the number you need as juveniles, and take extra males back to the pet shop (or sell them to people in need of a male).

This way, in the end, you'll probably end up with 20 or so fish.

Stay away from pseudotropheus crabro (bumblebee), melanochromis auratus, lombardoyi (kenyi) and any other horisontally barred fish for your mix.

To do this right, I really encourage you to have a hospital tank ready as you set up this aquarium. Beaten up males that need to go back to the pet shop really should be healed up again first, and if you ever ahve a holding female that you want to keep the fry from, well, you're all set there as well.

Please note that there are different kinds of fish from lake malawi - the mbuna, which I have listed above - and the haplochromines, of which the peacocks form a part. They don't mix well, the poor peacocks get beaten up, never colour up fully, and generally suffer.

The tank will be overstocked. Large (60% and more) water changes as often as five days apart are necessary when the fish are bigger.

Decorate your tank with rocks. Lots of rocks. Large piles of lovely, lovely rocks. I cut holes in black plant pots and cover them with rocks to help make my rockpiles high and stable, and to make sure there's plenty of holes for fish. If you can get it, texas holey rock is brilliant. If not, glued together pvc pipes also work. The females will need to get completely out of sight, and if there isn't enough hiding space, you'll almost never see your fish.

Also, consider getting a nice group (four or five) synodontis multipunctatis or synodontis petricola. They help deal with unwanted fry, they're beautiful, and they school all over your tank at night.

You really can't beat these guys for colour and action. I can't recomend keeping these fish strongly enough! It just takes a bit to get the tank right, but it is so incredibly worth it!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds