• nico123
  • nico123's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

nico123 created the topic: can 4 electric lab cichlid live in 30 gallon

or trio of electric lab or socofoli
i will provide lots of hiding places

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 12

EdgeX600 replied the topic: Re: can 4 electric lab cichlid live in 30 gallon

no

• Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior
  • Thank you received: 345

Nina_W replied the topic: Re: can 4 electric lab cichlid live in 30 gallon

EdgeX600 wrote: no

I agree.

It's not about hiding space, it's about running away space.

I'd very much like you to meet Stumpy. Her name is no accident, this is her about two weeks after I've taken her from a guy who thought mbuna can live in a small tank:

Her tail fin was bloody and she had almost no pectoral fins to speak of. You can see where her scales had been bitten off near her tail fin- that white bit where the black stripe should continue - this was an oozing wound. The beginnings of fungus had set in almost all over. I changed water twice a day, matching temperatures and parameters exactly. She wouldn't eat, I tried everything, zuccini, peas, algae wafers, new types of flakes... she was desperately thin. Eventually she ate live mysis shrimp. You see her here with my baby yellow labs after she had lived in isolation, looking much, much better - anything other than baby yellow labs would have finished her off.

Now, to be fair, she's one of the more agressive species, and you've listed more peaceful species... but they need to be in LARGE groups (five of a species of more peaceful ones, with ONE male, and FOUR females) and with many, many other fish... overstocked. This means running away space is at a premium, which is why a four foot tank - 55 gallons - is necessary. Go look around at a few pet shops who sell mbuna. Ask them how often a fish comes in almost beaten to death, or how often people return 'too agressive' fish.

Ok, now gloom and doom over:
What are the tank dimensions?

If you have three feet of tank space, what you could consider, and this is a BIG maybe, is a species only tank of pseudotropheus saulosi. A group of twelve, with one or two males only (any more and we have a beaten up fish). This might work. Of course, it might not work, which means you need enough hospital tank space to heal up all of the beaten up fish, rehome all of them, and then you've spent a lot of time and money for nothing.

You will also have pretty much constant nitrate problems, which means water changes every three days at least. ...but this small setup with saulosi has been done successfully ONCE.

To get those numbers as adults, you'd need to buy more young fish than you eventually want as adults, and remove males as they show up. These males then each live in their own hospital tank until no more males show up - a process that can take over a year. Once this is done, you check how many females you have - you want six or seven or so. Then, you add back two males, and you rehome the rest of your males. You keep a CLOSE eye on your fish, and if one of your two males looks like he's getting beaten up, he must go as well.

Don't think removing a fish from a mbuna setup is easy, either. In my large tank, I can divide it up, but in a small tank like this a divider will be infeasible. This means that you'll need to remove ALL the decor (and your tank will be 2/3rds filled with rocks here - so this is a big job) everytime you try and catch a fish.

I love Mbuna, and I'd strongly encourage anyone to keep them - keep them right, that is. They are unmatched for colour and vibrancy in my mind, and their social structures give me hours of amusement. But, they do require special attention to their needs. Or they'll kill each other - or worse, beat one until it gets sick, make your whole tank sick, and then you lose them all.

As a final word, because these guys live in a high pH environment, any ammonia is toxic almost immediately. You need a well cycled tank before you add these fish.

• nico123
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

nico123 replied the topic: Re: can 4 electric lab cichlid live in 30 gallon

then what should i keep in 30 gallon ""except for"" tetras,guppies,mollies,swordtails,platies,betta(male and female),gouramies,and shell dweller cichlid

• Thank you received: 12

EdgeX600 replied the topic: Re: can 4 electric lab cichlid live in 30 gallon

nico123 wrote: then what should i keep in 30 gallon ""except for"" tetras,guppies,mollies,swordtails,platies,betta(male and female),gouramies,and shell dweller cichlid

lol....your kinda limited on options when you say you don't want any of those personally Id make it a shelly tank but thats just me.

• bassetman
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Parachromis and Caquetaia thorichthys Addict
  • Thank you received: 182

bassetman replied the topic: Re: can 4 electric lab cichlid live in 30 gallon

Tanganyikan shellies or some sand dwellers can do fine in a 30...but your options really improve if you can bump to a 55 gallon.

Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement

• Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior
  • Thank you received: 345

Nina_W replied the topic: Re: can 4 electric lab cichlid live in 30 gallon

or some nice barbs and almost any of the corydoras catfishies. Also look into some coolie loaches. Danios could work as well.

30 gallons are a great size for smallish low-tech planted tanks with barbs, corys at the bottom, danios at the top and a single, resplendent (because he will own the tank, and gouramis bask in their own magnificence), dwarf gourami.

• nico123
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

how about if i bought 5 male dwarf gourami will it work or there will be aggression
and i can't find a breeder of shellies or sand dwellers and my lfs doesn't have them, i only saw in my lfs are african cichlid,oscars,angelfish, tetras,guppies,mollies,swordtails,platies,betta(male and female),dwarf gouramies,id sharks,hi fin paroons,koi,goldfish,red eared slider,pacu,tin foil,flowerhorns,arowana,blood parrots,barbs,and plecos

• bassetman
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Parachromis and Caquetaia thorichthys Addict
  • Thank you received: 182

bassetman replied the topic: Re: can 4 electric lab cichlid live in 30 gallon

there are hundreds of "African Cichlids" usually they mean mixed Mbuna or peacocks. most always hybridized or diseased. try to find a source of good fish it is worth the effort.

Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement

• nico123
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

mbuna are the ones that i saw

how many male dwarf gouramies can i put in

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.176 seconds