Jewel Cichlid

• GeorgeP
  • GeorgeP's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 29

GeorgeP created the topic: Jewel Cichlid

Hi everyone,

So here's the situation. I have a 30 gallon tank with 2 zebra peacock's and a Jewel. I bought the fish when I still didn't know all that much about Cichlids, I thought they were pretty, and I wanted to contrast my Oscar tank a bit. but now I'm not sure if there's enough room. I got lucky on getting all African's on accident, but now I read online that I should overcrowd them to disperse aggression in a small tank. Any advice on what to do, even if its do nothing, is appreciated, I've never done African's before.

Thanks,
George

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Ohio Cichlid Association Chairmen
  • Thank you received: 439

ehall67 replied the topic: Re: Jewel Cichlid

What is the footprint for the 30 gal tank

The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals

• Matt
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Serrasalmus Rhombeus, any questions?
  • Thank you received: 151

Matt replied the topic: Re: Jewel Cichlid

As long as you only have the 1 jewel, you should be ok. I ended up with a breeding pair, that was hell in that tank, ended up getting them their own tank.

cebosound wrote: Waterchange, Waterchange, waterchange... till your knuckles are bleeding. ;) :lol:

My youtube page www.youtube.com/user/rwhp550?feature=mhee

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

when over crowding a African tank from what i understand you are still looking about about a 4 foot width in the tank

• GeorgeP
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

GeorgeP replied the topic: Re: Jewel Cichlid

lolz matt, thats why I'm staying away from pairs. I'm pretty sure both my peacocks are males, dodged another bullet there

tank foot print is 30"x 12"

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

If you are not seeing to much aggression now you should be fine but like I said with 4 ft tanks you pack them full so that it is spread out aggression but with a small tank you cant pack it to full because of WQ... I am more or less reiterating what Nina_W has said she knows a lot about them if you see it becoming bad give her a PM she knows her stuff about Africans..

Jewels can be a monster tho ...

• GeorgeP
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

well, i kinda am seeing aggression, a ton, outta my one of my peacocks, he bullys the others, and as retarded as this may sound, he is second only to the dalmation molly i used to cycle the tank when i set it up.

and my jewel is a puss

• Matt
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Serrasalmus Rhombeus, any questions?
  • Thank you received: 151

Matt replied the topic: Re: Jewel Cichlid

LOL, that's a serious business mollie

cebosound wrote: Waterchange, Waterchange, waterchange... till your knuckles are bleeding. ;) :lol:

My youtube page www.youtube.com/user/rwhp550?feature=mhee

• Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior
  • Thank you received: 345

Nina_W replied the topic: Re: Jewel Cichlid

in terms of Africans, all cichlids from outside the rift lakes, like jewels, are whimps compared to their rift lake cousins. Your jewel is going to have a hard time.
I'm a bit surprised that people speak of 'African cichlids' as a singular. The rivers of west Africa are soft water, the rift lakes are liquid rock. Their diets and habits and aggression levels all differ. Rift lake cichlids rarely pair, while riverine ones typically do. Anyway, we push on.

I've got some unfortunate news for you: your two male peacocks are going to beat on each other until one either hides all the time, both hide all the time, or one or both get killed. There isn't enough space nor enough distraction to prevent this. Their colours won't be ideal either. So yes, they can live like this (erm, barring them killing each other), but I don't know if I'd be happy with them this way.

To my mind, you have a two options (for a happier, more long term viable tank):
One, return the peacocks, and set yourself up with a jewel breeding pair. They are stunning in a planted setting, and they do really well with some tetra companions. To do this, you get a whole group (six or so) little jewels, and as soon as you have a pair, rehome the rest (at penalty of fishy death, so be ready).

Two, depending on the species of peacock (some will never work in a 30 gallon tank, and if you have hybrids, please disregard this entirely) and your footprint (this will only work if you have length), you could get rid of one of the males and the jewel, and set the remaining one up with three females for breeding companions. This will have a full (FULL!) tank bioload wise, so they'll have to be just the guy with his little harem, but you'll have fry all the time, and he'll be at his most coloured up for you as a bonus :)
This could still be a little harsh on the ladies (tank is a bit small - these are six inch or so fishes we're talking about), so only do this if you're prepared to deal with some agression. This setup is what the breeders of peacocks do.

Either way, I'd really, really love some pictures :blush:

• GeorgeP
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Thank you for the great advice! I have heard it can be possible to swing a jewel with SA cichlids. Is this true? I really dont want to get rid of him, but I think i will get rid of one of the peacocks at least

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.145 seconds