Help stocking an african tank

• Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior
  • Thank you received: 345

Nina_W replied the topic: Re: Help stocking an african tank

sharp edges are a bad idea, but in already calciferous water, rocks won't release more salts into the water, the water is already saturated.

Red bricks are good since they're easy to stack, but bad since they don't make little gaps for fish to hide away in.

I have been thinking about what I said about the yellow labs - that a female might work? If you're doing a tank with male fish, a female in the mix will cause aggression, and most likely hybrids. So I must take that statement back.

I also want to ask exactly what advice of mine you are following? Are you making an all male tank? For which you need over 12 different species of males, or are you doing a single species breeding group of aulonocara? Are you doing mbuna?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• toni-a
  • toni-a's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22

toni-a replied the topic: Re: Help stocking an african tank

Here's my plan:
40 gallon tank: yellow lab + tankmates, I was considering pakistani loaches or corydoras as well as some rainbowfish / red eye tetra or black skirt tetra.

65 gallon tank: all africans, getting them small (impossible to sex) then rehoming as needed

• toni-a
  • toni-a's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22

toni-a replied the topic: Re: Help stocking an african tank

Yellow lab X7
Livingstonii X1
Venustus X2
fire red aulonocara X2
Red Zebra X1
blue zebra X1
Those are the fry I have, they are growing up in the 40 gallon tank awaiting the sump to be cycled.
I will be exchanging them at the LFS as soon as they grow up a little, but as suggested livingstoni and venustus will be exchanged immediately

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.067 seconds