i need some advice!!!!

• Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior
  • Thank you received: 345

Nina_W replied the topic: i need some advice!!!!

I'll just try once more - consider a mbuna tank, with three species of peaceful mbuna, kept in harems.

yellow labs, rusties, socolofi, metriaclima callainos (may be a bit on the aggro side), acei, the list goes on and on.

Stay away from the mixed mbuna tank. Hybrids galore, poor colour, impossible to know their temperament.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 55

theniceguy9112 replied the topic: i need some advice!!!!

Nina_W wrote: Here's a good source for some suggestions for your tank:
www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/cookie_cutter_55g.php

not all of these are mbuna, not all are Africans, but some are.

Suprd71, german rams are not africans.

That's exactly what I was looking for Nina! I'm assumuing the numbers this site posts are good for bioload as well? Wouldn't want to overstock the tank.

• Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior

yes, but take into account that when they say four of a kind of mbuna, they mean one male, three females. To get this done, you'll need to get more little ones than you want adults in the end, and rehome extra males. It's very doable, just takes some time.

• BlueMoonJay
  • BlueMoonJay's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14

BlueMoonJay replied the topic: i need some advice!!!!

Yeah, I've heard horror stories about the mixed tanks, I'm not going there haha. Yellow labs were interesting, as well as the acei, I'm more thinking this route. Thanks Nina!

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: i need some advice!!!!

Nina.. really, fish store guy told me they were indeed Africans. What are they and should they be in with my others?

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior

Suprd71 wrote: Nina.. really, fish store guy told me they were indeed Africans. What are they and should they be in with my others?

They're from South America, the Orinoco river basin. They do exceptionally well in tannin stained water, but more importantly is lots of plant cover. They prefer soft water, and they are only truly aggressive when breeding. Makes great tankmates for neons or angelfish (if given enough space).

They pair up, and they guard their young fiercely. The males get to be 7cm big, the females stay a bit smaller.

They're very beautiful, to me.

Yes, they should probably go to their own tank. They can't compete aggression wise, and will eventually either die of stress-related problems, get ripped apart, or hide forevermore (and possibly starve).

That said - How long have you had this mix? If it's less than a year (or a year and a half, given size of juveniles), I'm worried a disaster is headed your way as soon as your mbuna males discover that they are in fact, male, and that they want ALL the females.

Beware the advice of that pet shop. Clearly they don't know salt from pepper.

• Thank you received: 55

theniceguy9112 replied the topic: i need some advice!!!!

Are you able to tell their sex when they are small or do you have to wait til they are adults to be able to sex them? Or is this something that when you order them the guy that sends them will already know?

• Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior

theniceguy9112 wrote: Are you able to tell their sex when they are small or do you have to wait til they are adults to be able to sex them? Or is this something that when you order them the guy that sends them will already know?

Sex them when they're older. You can either vent or tell by behaviour/colour, or both, of course.

Beware of anyone that claims they can sex these fish at under two inches, and even then it's REALLY hard. It's easiest to get a large group of juveniles. Extra males will be 'banished' by more dominant ones to the upper corners of your tank, where you can identify and rehome them. There are other behaviours too, shaking violently in front of other fish often identifies males, as does size/colour. Males grow faster.

This just again underscores the importance of knowing what species you have, and how they look as male/female adults. Even in monomorphic species there are slight differences.

I can help sex these fish as well, if you can give pictures.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds