Paratilapia Polleni

• Chris-gashead
  • Chris-gashead's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Chris-gashead created the topic: Paratilapia Polleni

Has anyone here kept this fish? I just got one but man it looks mean. It chases your finger if you put it on the glass :laugh:

Would putting it in with an Oscar be a good idea? I am thinking of getting just one larger tank and having both the Oscar and Polleni in the same tank, which would be a 5x2x2.

Thoughts on this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Paratilapia Polleni

50% chance it would work.

• Chris-gashead
  • Chris-gashead's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Chris-gashead replied the topic: Paratilapia Polleni

Awesome. Are they as aggressive as this one seems to be?

• Thank you received: 1

Clear-water replied the topic: Paratilapia Polleni

I am super jealous, madagascan cichlids are amazing, well the few we ever see in the hobby. A few sources on the net claim your specimen is highly endangered in the wild, which makes a rather precious thing to own.

A dear friend of mine growing up used to breed these guys. So despite the internet saying they are somewhat aggressive, I would liken them more to a convict in temperament. So if you get your guy to full size you could well end up with a 12 inch, gorgeous looking piscivore with a convicts mindset and a lot more power to back it up.

Each fish is unique and one can never be sure but my limited experience would say make sure your Oscar has a healthy size advantage but of course not enough to decimate your new fish either.

They are such good looking fish, tough as nails too. Your in for a treat! One fact that keeps cropping up on the internet is that they do not appreciate large water changes, so balancing that with the O's love of plentiful water changes will be a balancing act. A little very frequently I guess :)

Clear-water wrote: One fact that keeps cropping up on the internet is that they do not appreciate large water changes, so balancing that with the O's love of plentiful water changes will be a balancing act. A little very frequently I guess :)

I would be very skeptical about this fish not liking water changes. We would need a scientific explanation as to why this is so.

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Ohio Cichlid Association Chairmen
  • Thank you received: 439

ehall67 replied the topic: Paratilapia Polleni

as long as the levels (temp, pH, hardness, etc) are the same in the water there is no fish that if going to turn down large WC...

I will not believe a fish would rather stay in its nitrates /own poo

The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals

• Thank you received: 1

Clear-water replied the topic: Paratilapia Polleni

Excellent point, my poor wording in fact. Very sensitive to large water changes....

This species is very sensitive to changes in water parameters and large water changes should be avoided.

This is why I should cut and paste and not think ;)

Now maybe in some areas, this fish would not do well based on what is in the tap water. But that has to do with the chemistry of the tap water and not the large water changes.

• JasonR
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hey man...Got a light?
  • Thank you received: 452

JasonR replied the topic: Paratilapia Polleni

There are some fish that can be stressed by even subtle water parameter changes. In any case they can be conditioned to large water changes. Haitiensis are well know for their sensitivity and it is quite obvious when a water change is performed they become stressed hanging at the water's surface as if short on oxygen. Larger w.c.s lead to more stress and more time to snap out of this behavior. However, having raised Haits they gradually become accustomed to the large w.c.s. I suspect the same would be true for Polleni

• JasonR
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hey man...Got a light?
  • Thank you received: 452

JasonR replied the topic: Paratilapia Polleni

This is a great article by Loiselle on these guys for those interested

www.cichlidae.com/article.php?id=76

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.156 seconds