Medium-big cichlid for a 54 gallon ?help me

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Re:Medium-big cichlid for a 54 gallon ?help me

what is the ph of your water? do you have hard water?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Medium-big cichlid for a 54 gallon ?help me

"You just can't stock them like tetras."

Amen.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• cichlidthinker
  • cichlidthinker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

cichlidthinker replied the topic: Re:Medium-big cichlid for a 54 gallon ?help me

Havent even bought any of them , just like yo do research first , couldnt you guys give me any stocking advice on medium sized cichlids ?

• gorgoroth
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Evil IT Administrator
  • Thank you received: 80

gorgoroth replied the topic: Re:Medium-big cichlid for a 54 gallon ?help me

well, people ask question like Rocksor did on the top of this page, that size tank you could go for a malawi or tanganyika tank and have several cichlids in the same tank.

one GT with 2-3 small staying L numbers like the bristlenose would be an option, tho if you get a male GT you would have to upgrade anyway.

160 gallon south american
190 gallon malawi

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:Re: Re:Medium-big cichlid for a 54 gallon ?help me

cichlidthinker wrote: Havent even bought any of them , just like yo do research first , couldnt you guys give me any stocking advice on medium sized cichlids ?

see reply #10
why not answer rocksors question I think he may be leading to giving you stocking advice.

do you test your water with a liquid test kit ? if your going to keep any of the fish you mentioned your going to have to

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

From the Americas,

Ph above 7.5 start to look at cichlids from the following genus:

Archocentrus
Amatitlania
Cryptoheros

Ph below 7.5
Aequidens
Crenicichla (dwarf)
Gymnogeophagus
Laetacara
Mesonauta
Tahuantinsuyoa

Ph below7.0
Apistogramma
Mikrogeophagus

I wouldn't do more than 4 cichlids (2 breeding pairs) that reach 6" total length, there's just not enough territory space in a 4 foot long tank. If you go with something smaller like convicts, 3 pairs is doable if the hiding spots are done correctly.

• cichlidthinker
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

cichlidthinker replied the topic: Re:Medium-big cichlid for a 54 gallon ?help me

Im sorry didnt know what i wad thinking not answering , i have not yet set up the tank as i like to do research first, but i have well water(comes from the mountains) and it has a steady ph and no bad stuff in it, but do you think i could only get 3 firemouth sized cichlids in this tank ... Seems so little to me :s but im no expert, i have to google these stock ideas rocksor as im on the phone cant do it know

Im also a fan of a single green terror and a bn plec in this tank , but id likr to see my options , i hope i have given you all enough info to start with :(

• cichlidthinker
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

:)*,,, oh and this would be an all male tank , no breeding going on

Tangledupincichlids.com has all those fish in stock.

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:Re: Re:Medium-big cichlid for a 54 gallon ?help me

cichlidthinker wrote: Im sorry didnt know what i wad thinking not answering , i have not yet set up the tank as i like to do research first, but i have well water(comes from the mountains) and it has a steady ph and no bad stuff in it, but do you think i could only get 3 firemouth sized cichlids in this tank ... Seems so little to me :s but im no expert, i have to google these stock ideas rocksor as im on the phone cant do it know

Im also a fan of a single green terror and a bn plec in this tank , but id likr to see my options , i hope i have given you all enough info to start with :(

check out the fish rock mentioned and see what you like. even though you feel the tank will look empty once they are full grown they may be a little cramped in there. you also have to figure I aggression I have an aequidens metae (one of his the fish rock suggested also got it from tangledupincichlids) and its a great fish but once food enters the tank its becomes really aggressive. I think your tank is around 40 inches thats 4 more inches than the tank I have the metae in and I wouldn't put it in there with other cichlids. have you thought about what filtration your going to use and how your going to cycle them ?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
You could do one cichlid and dithers like Denisen barbs or giant danios and maybe two cichlids one top to mid level dweller and a bottom dweller example the metae stays on the bottom.safest would he one cichlid let then more experienced members like rock help you with the stocking if your going to do multiple

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.072 seconds