How much crushed corals to keep a stable PH ?

• poelinca
  • poelinca's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4

poelinca created the topic: How much crushed corals to keep a stable PH ?

This question about keeping a high PH always puzzled me.

So i've read about crushed coral sand, and by what i read it seams to do the trick, however how much would i need, considering my tap water is around 6-6.5 and the tank is 210 US gallons and aiming at somewhere around 8.8 ?

Also what do you guys do when you change the water not to get spikes in PH ?

p.s. i'm aiming at that PH because i am in the process of research right now, not yet committed to anything

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: How much crushed corals to keep a stable PH ?

That's very low for tap water. Are you using a liquid test kit like the api master test kit to measure the pH? I used to use strips, and they always read near 6 when pH was really 7.0.

It would be far easier for you to keep soft water cichlids like oscars, dempseys, discus, anglefish, etc., rather than hard water african cichlids. I know you're only testing for now, but if you do keep fish that are used to hard water with a high pH, then every time you change the water you'll be putting in water with vastly differerent parameters, and a 2 point change in pH and a large change in GH will likely harm your fish.

poelinca wrote: Also what do you guys do when you change the water not to get spikes in PH ?

I pre-treat my water before filling the tank. My pH out of the tap is around 8.5 but with low GH and KH. I use a buffer to bring the pH down to 7.0 and then pump it into the tank. You could do something like that but use a buffer for african cichlids like api proper ph 8.2. However, this would get very expensive with a 210 gallon tank. Another possibility that I've considered but never tried is adding the right amount of buffer as you change the water. This would limit the duration of a jump in pH.

It's my understanding that putting 1/4 to 1/2 cup per 20 gallons (2.75 - 5.5 cups for 220g) will raise the KH, subsequently raising the pH. It's best placed in the back of your filter in a nylon bag where water flow is highest. You'll need to clean it once in a while as deris will collect on making it less effective. You can also put it in the substrate but it will take longer to release the calcium carbonate.

• Thank you received: 203

Big-Ken replied the topic: Re:How much crushed corals to keep a stable PH ?

If you want to maintain Africa cichlid water i would put 1-2" of crushed coral substrate then i would use seachem Africa cichlid buffer that that should put you at the 8-8.6 ph range you want. I would highly recommend getting two food grade plastic 55 gallon drums to age and pre-treat your water for water changes so your ph isnt all over the place during water changes

• poelinca
  • poelinca's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4

poelinca replied the topic: How much crushed corals to keep a stable PH ?

The PH of water in the area i live in is actually 7,3 but i can't always rely on it being stable.

The thing is, if i commit to keeping africans i would like to go for a gray/dark substrate, so this would leave out using crushed coral sand in the tank and instead fill a filter or two from the current setup with it.

However as you guys mentioned it might get tricky with the water changes and maintenance would be a pain.

Thanks for the input guys

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds