How do you know what "African" cichlids your looking at?

• vogey
  • vogey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

vogey created the topic: How do you know what "African" cichlids your looking at?

With the addition of the new 125gal I now have a 75 gal (4'*1.5'*2') available to start a African cichlid tank I've read as many as 30-50 in a 75 gal!? Can't be right? At Walmart they have "African" cichlids and that's all they are called. They are Solid colors but bright yellow, vivid blue, orange, and white. Any idea what Africans these are and how many to put in a 75 gal?

Sent from my N9130 using Tapatalk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: How do you know what "African" cichlids your looking at?

The Africans you see at Walmart are hybrids, mutts. Most popular are probably the Mbuna of Lake Malawi heritage. True that an African tank is heavier stocked an American tank. An overstocked tank however is just that regardless of the species. Try to picture 30-50 cichlids of 3-6 inches crammed into a 75g tank. That notion is ridiculous. I had about 20 in a 5ft 120g. Difficult to manage, plenty of aggression, rapidly decaying water quality. It was hard to keep nitrate under 40ppm, which is very high. If you had Mbuna I would not do more than 6.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• vogey
  • vogey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

vogey replied the topic: Re:How do you know what "African" cichlids your looking at?

Thanks for the fast reply, I was in no way gonna put 30-50 $5 fish in a tank that small, 6 is much more reasonable. If I ever stop draining the bank on fish I'll get a phone with working camera and show you guys my "office" (we each get a room in the house the other has no say in how to decorate... Mines full of aquariums n hotwheels lol)

Sent from my N9130 using Tapatalk

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds