UPDATED ..We're pregnant !!!! 2nd Video added !

• Brooksie
  • Brooksie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Have you loved your fish today?
  • Thank you received: 42

Brooksie replied the topic: Re: We're pregnant !!!! Video added !

Yes they are Nina... I was hoping they would breed too. Right now I have to figure out what to do with my blotch babies. I guess I have to wait and see how many she haves. Today she can barely close her mouth!! It's only been since about 07/18... a week and a half - maybe 2 weeks. :( I have a way to go before she drops them I guess. I can't imagine her holding them too much longer though! I guess she could have been holding them a week before I could have noticed? Well, when she spits them out... I'll know they are here! :)

There is a fine line between sanity and insanity.... Come walk it with me!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Ohio Cichlid Association Chairmen
  • Thank you received: 439

ehall67 replied the topic: Re: We're pregnant !!!! Video added !

yeah if she spits them out then you will have babies hahaha :laugh:

The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals

• Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior
  • Thank you received: 345

Nina_W replied the topic: Re: We're pregnant !!!! Video added !

Brooksie wrote: Yes they are Nina... I was hoping they would breed too. Right now I have to figure out what to do with my blotch babies. I guess I have to wait and see how many she haves. Today she can barely close her mouth!! It's only been since about 07/18... a week and a half - maybe 2 weeks. :( I have a way to go before she drops them I guess. I can't imagine her holding them too much longer though! I guess she could have been holding them a week before I could have noticed? Well, when she spits them out... I'll know they are here! :)

28 to 32 days, sometimes a bit more. She really won't starve (she'll spit her babies before then), and the most experienced moms can sometimes eat some flake food while holding.
Just watch for it, for a time she might let them come back into her mouth (I've only seen this personally once), but when she spits those babies will be considered food pretty quickly (this I've seen many times).

Can you see little eyes in her mouth yet? Little eyes tell you it's 5 days or less to go :)

• Thank you received: 203

Big-Ken replied the topic: Re: We're pregnant !!!! Video added !

congrats Brooksie!! i love your venustus also, some day i want to do a single species 6' tank with just venustus they are my favorite african

• Brooksie
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Nina_W wrote:
28 to 32 days, sometimes a bit more. She really won't starve (she'll spit her babies before then), and the most experienced moms can sometimes eat some flake food while holding.
Just watch for it, for a time she might let them come back into her mouth (I've only seen this personally once), but when she spits those babies will be considered food pretty quickly (this I've seen many times).

Can you see little eyes in her mouth yet? Little eyes tell you it's 5 days or less to go

I know she won't starve. She acts like she wants to eat at feeding time but she does still. I try to give her a flake or two but still no interest. As of now, no little eyes yet. But her throat is getting HUGE !!

I'm ready with 2 other breeder boxes for the babies - I can split them up if there are too many. Not sure how many there will be. I guess we will fund out huh? My other fish who have had babies have spit them out and the first 1 or 2 days have taken them back into her mouth but after that she didn't. After 1 week, they went into their own breeder box. Mom stays for about 2-3 weeks in her own breeder box to regain her strength before she goes back into her the big tank.

How does that sound?

~~ Thanks Ken... I had never heard of them. Found them totally by accident. Did my research after I brought them home. I love them though. They are my 2nd favorite after my blotches. I would love to get a male and breed them too! I can't wait to see them full grown too. They are so beautiful now!

• Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior

Brooksie wrote:
I know she won't starve. She acts like she wants to eat at feeding time but she does still. I try to give her a flake or two but still no interest. As of now, no little eyes yet. But her throat is getting HUGE !!

I'm ready with 2 other breeder boxes for the babies - I can split them up if there are too many. Not sure how many there will be. I guess we will fund out huh? My other fish who have had babies have spit them out and the first 1 or 2 days have taken them back into her mouth but after that she didn't. After 1 week, they went into their own breeder box. Mom stays for about 2-3 weeks in her own breeder box to regain her strength before she goes back into her the big tank.

How does that sound?

Sounds good :)

How big are the holes in the sides of your breeder boxes? I've had fry sucked through the holes and eaten that way.

I think, considering that this is a first (or near first) spawn that if you get ten or more babies you can feel extremely pleased with your fishy. Later on it can go up to 30, but I've only read about this, not seen it myself. I've had 15 or 16 but never more.

Yay for babies :) They're so cute when they're tiny. I'm amazed you could leave them with mom for a week, I guess my mothers are a bit more voracious. Are you going to grow them up in the breeder box?

• Brooksie
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Nina_W wrote: Sounds good :)

How big are the holes in the sides of your breeder boxes? I've had fry sucked through the holes and eaten that way.

I think, considering that this is a first (or near first) spawn that if you get ten or more babies you can feel extremely pleased with your fishy. Later on it can go up to 30, but I've only read about this, not seen it myself. I've had 15 or 16 but never more.

Yay for babies :) They're so cute when they're tiny. I'm amazed you could leave them with mom for a week, I guess my mothers are a bit more voracious. Are you going to grow them up in the breeder box?

The breeder box is like a screen really .. very, very tiny close holes. I've used it before with Red Zebra babies with no problems and none escaped. I'm not expecting too many babies either my first time. I will take what I get. Of all the last babies that I've bred here, I've been able to keep mom & babies together for about a week. Mom doesn't pay much attention - too worn out or tired. But I try to get her out as soon as she stops taking the babies back into her mouth. The 3 batches I've had, all off the moms have done the same thing, for a couple days they sucked the babies back in for the first day or two whenever someone approached the tank. Then all of a sudden they were old enough according to her (mom) and then I wait a few more days and take mom out.

I keep them in the breeder box for awhile - month maybe - then I'll put them in my 20 gal tank. I'll have to section off the lobster.

Still can't see the eyes. :(

• Brooksie
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

This is a video of my tank with almost clear water, if only temporary ;) Please keep watching... at the end is mommy and her mouth full of babies.

To me she has gotten a lot bigger... you tell me what you think.

Brooksie

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Ohio Cichlid Association Chairmen
  • Thank you received: 439

ehall67 replied the topic: Re: We're pregnant !!!! Video added !

I think that I really hope I can get some breeding like you did !!!

I really do think those VENS are cool also but the OB are sweet I am so going to get a breeding little tank also when I get my african tank

The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals

• Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior

Brooksie wrote: This is a video of my tank with almost clear water, if only temporary ;) Please keep watching... at the end is mommy and her mouth full of babies.

To me she has gotten a lot bigger... you tell me what you think.

Brooksie

she looks so uncomfortable... but it's all good. I'm looking forward to these little ones :)

I like your black and white blotch.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.097 seconds