09-02 update Brooksie's African Cichlid babies

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Ohio Cichlid Association Chairmen
  • Thank you received: 439

ehall67 replied the topic: Re: Brooksie's African cichlid baby video diary

I think at least every 3 or 4 days you have to give us a little update on them to see how they are goring I cant wait to see their colors !! B)

The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior
  • Thank you received: 345

Nina_W replied the topic: Re: Brooksie's African cichlid baby video diary

ehall67 wrote: I think at least every 3 or 4 days you have to give us a little update on them to see how they are goring I cant wait to see their colors !! B)

I agree :)

• Brooksie
  • Brooksie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Have you loved your fish today?
  • Thank you received: 42

Brooksie replied the topic: Re: Brooksie's African cichlid baby video diary

Sorry for the delay. I'm back! I see I missed a lot on the site. :whistle:

Here's an update with a video!

As you can see, I have figured out who the father is and it ISN'T who it is suppose to be!!! Damn it! :( I'm not happy! They are cute as hell though. I swear by looking at the video I can see some blotches in there though. I will find out soon enough.

I let mom go today. She's swimming around like crazy. The guys are already digging a whole!!! I might have to pull out this particular male if I don't want more of these babies!!

Tell me what you think!

Brooksie :kiss:

There is a fine line between sanity and insanity.... Come walk it with me!

• Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior

Nina_W replied the topic: Re: Brooksie's African cichlid baby video diary

If you let it be, they will breed again, her and him. Once two fish have figured it out, it ends up repeating. If you want blotches, see if you can't replace him with a female blotchy - increase your odds.

Some will show the blotches - but chances are fairly good for rather dull adults :(

Still very cute :)

And the dad is a looker as well, does he have females of his own? They're less likely to court other species if they have enough of their own females.

• JasonR
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hey man...Got a light?
  • Thank you received: 452

JasonR replied the topic: Re: Brooksie's African cichlid baby video diary

What a great vid Brooksie!:cheer: They are cute and sorry it didnt work out like u wanted.:s

• Brooksie
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Brooksie replied the topic: Re: Brooksie's African cichlid baby video diary 8/18

~ Nina - what I didn't think of was separating off the male & female blotches into a tank by themselves. Duh :huh: My hubby and I sat here last night and thought of that after we took these pics/videos!! What idiots. We will probably try to "push" the breeding of the blotches that way next time.

Here's my questions..
.. How long do we wait?
.. Do you think it will work?
.. I have 2 females and 2 males - I'm going to put them in a tank alone - will that work?

The dad, I think, looks like a red zebra but I'm not sure really what he is. What do you think he is? I do have a red zebra in there - only one left. I got rid of the rest because they gave me 3 batches of babies before and I had to stop the madness of them breeding those orange things!!!

~ Jason - they are cute. Damn it! Cute as hell of course! How can they not be cute, they are babies!

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Ohio Cichlid Association Chairmen
  • Thank you received: 439

ehall67 replied the topic: Re: Brooksie's African cichlid baby video diary 8/18

I am sure she will chime in soon with great advice but I know she told me that it would be best to have 1 male to like 4 or 5 females in a tank... she also said that my 55 should work filled with rocks !!

ps hopefully some will true out cool tho I mean it is a mix none the less will be cool even if only one turns out awesome won't be a complete loss... what you planing on doing with the babies ?

The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals

• Thank you received: 237

Noddy replied the topic: Re: Brooksie's African cichlid baby video diary 8/18

Strange, but watching with you! ;)

• Brooksie
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Brooksie replied the topic: Re: Brooksie's African cichlid baby video diary 8/18

Eddie I'm not sure yet... I'll have to sell some for sure and keep a few. I'm going to have to thin out my tank but not sure what to get rid of. Thinking on it. Possibly my my bumblebee's? They are the biggest ones and the meanest.

Yep... eyes on the tank Noddy!

• Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior

Nina_W replied the topic: Re: Brooksie's African cichlid baby video diary 8/18

Brooksie wrote:
Here's my questions..
.. How long do we wait?

Three weeks for her to recover, your other female may be ready before then. Any changes to their environment makes the breeding routine pause a bit. My blue zebras have new fry every two months - one spent holding, one recovering, repeat - without my intervention.

.. Do you think it will work?
.. I have 2 females and 2 males - I'm going to put them in a tank alone - will that work?

Your chances are much bigger if you put in one male, two females. The two males will fight, and disrupt each other's attempt at breeding. They'll also harass the females beyond any willingness to spawn.

With two females to one male, your chances are much better - however, he may still be too much for the two to handle (chasing one, chasing the other, if they run, their tail fins will be eaten down over time). With three females, odds improve, with four or five (or more) it becomes a sure bet - given time.

What size tank are you putting them in? The smallest I'd try is a 30 gallon three foot tank. Even better if you give them a 55. In a 55, two males and eight or more females would be a constant fry supply.

The dad, I think, looks like a red zebra but I'm not sure really what he is. What do you think he is? I do have a red zebra in there - only one left. I got rid of the rest because they gave me 3 batches of babies before and I had to stop the madness of them breeding those orange things!!!

Is the striped, blue fish you showed us the dad? That's most likely a socolofi, or a rather harassed blue zebra (or a poorly bred one).
When I looked at them I first wanted to ask whether the dad is a blue zebra (the one striped fry in the video gives me that suspicion) - if you suspect red zebra it's likely as well. In any situation where a male does not have enough of his own females, he is likely to try his luck with any other females available, it could be any of these fish. Who's the most dominant male in your tank? That's a very likely culprit.

Would you consider feeding the fry to your oscar/flowerhorn (pardon if this sounds cruel)? Who will care for the adult hybrids - since you surely cannot sell them (to my mind this is irresponsible) and you surely do not have space to raise them all?

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.088 seconds