09-02 update Brooksie's African Cichlid babies

• Brooksie
  • Brooksie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Have you loved your fish today?
  • Thank you received: 42

Brooksie replied the topic: Re: Brooksie's African cichlid baby video diary 8/18

Nina_W wrote:

Brooksie wrote:
Here's my questions..
.. How long do we wait?

Three weeks for her to recover, your other female may be ready before then. Any changes to their environment makes the breeding routine pause a bit. My blue zebras have new fry every two months - one spent holding, one recovering, repeat - without my intervention.

.. Do you think it will work?
.. I have 2 females and 2 males - I'm going to put them in a tank alone - will that work?

Your chances are much bigger if you put in one male, two females. The two males will fight, and disrupt each other's attempt at breeding. They'll also harass the females beyond any willingness to spawn.

With two females to one male, your chances are much better - however, he may still be too much for the two to handle (chasing one, chasing the other, if they run, their tail fins will be eaten down over time). With three females, odds improve, with four or five (or more) it becomes a sure bet - given time.

What size tank are you putting them in? The smallest I'd try is a 30 gallon three foot tank. Even better if you give them a 55. In a 55, two males and eight or more females would be a constant fry supply.

The dad, I think, looks like a red zebra but I'm not sure really what he is. What do you think he is? I do have a red zebra in there - only one left. I got rid of the rest because they gave me 3 batches of babies before and I had to stop the madness of them breeding those orange things!!!

Is the striped, blue fish you showed us the dad? That's most likely a socolofi, or a rather harassed blue zebra (or a poorly bred one).
When I looked at them I first wanted to ask whether the dad is a blue zebra (the one striped fry in the video gives me that suspicion) - if you suspect red zebra it's likely as well. In any situation where a male does not have enough of his own females, he is likely to try his luck with any other females available, it could be any of these fish. Who's the most dominant male in your tank? That's a very likely culprit.

Would you consider feeding the fry to your oscar/flowerhorn (pardon if this sounds cruel)? Who will care for the adult hybrids - since you surely cannot sell them (to my mind this is irresponsible) and you surely do not have space to raise them all?

As for Dad. That is who I think it is. What the hell is he?????? He is one of the aggressive males besides my 3 bumblebees & single male cobalt blue. I'm considering getting rid of the bumblebees they are getting really huge and they may be the cause of my water problems. They are twice the size of my other fish at the same age.

Tank size is a small one - 30 gallon. It's all I have. I was going to put the babies in there. :(

This conversation will bother some people on the site. I can tell already but here we go. I have thought about it because I was thinking what you were thinking. I have a feeling that I have created some hybrid fish that I didn't plan on creating. :unsure: No fish store is going to want to buy them - which I had already discussed with my LFS if I was successful with the blotches. So that may be an option. Not sure yet. :( :( :( :( :( DECISIONS!! When to do it if I do???

There is a fine line between sanity and insanity.... Come walk it with me!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior
  • Thank you received: 345

Nina_W replied the topic: Re: Brooksie's African cichlid baby video diary 8/18

Brooksie, sooner is better than later, in the case of hybrids. The older they get, the harder it will be to let go (at least, this is true for me). Once I've raised them for a month, I want to keep them pretty badly.

And yes, I also know it will bother some. To my mind, it's less senseless than culling, which is the other thing to say :(

In the 30 gallon, put one male and the two females, and keep a CLOSE eye on things. If the females start showing any wear, remove the male until you have more females to add. I'd try it - but do keep your eyes open. Add hiding places, two, one on either end of the tank. Either two rock piles with many entrances and exits, or two pots with holes in them (cut up black plastic flower pots work well, but aren't pretty). Position these hiding spaces so that the females can get completely out of sight (both from you and the rest of the tank).

Bumblebees are trouble. They grow large and mean, I'm afraid :( But they sure are pretty :)

The funny striped blue guy you showed in the movie looks to be a pseudotropheus socolofi ( www.aquaticcommunity.com/fish/powderbluecichlid.php ). The barring it shows is typical of a fish under stress.

Like I said, though, it can also be a poorly bred metriaclima callainos - cobalt blue zebra, again under some duress. They look a lot alike, these two species. There are others too, much rarer to see at pet shops, that it could be, but chances that those would be unlabelled are slim (chances are too that your wallet would have known - they are pricey). There is also a fairly good chance that he is a hybrid himself - they are everywhere. It is very difficult to know now.

To me, those babies look a lot like they have blue zebra parentage. A lot. I don't think we can ever know with 100% certainty, sadly.

If you wait until the babies are an inch big, they'll have enough of their adult colours to help us know with a lot more certainty. This will take a month or so (maybe more, depending on who the parents are). Part of the problem is that many blotches we see in pet shops are actually a small part of the actual batch that the parents had - they cull a great many dull babies from the batch if they are not well bred blotches.

• Brooksie
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Brooksie replied the topic: Re: Brooksie's African cichlid baby video diary 8/18

So its time for my weekly update on the babies... they are 19 days old now and growing like crazy! They are cute as hell! I love watching them grow!

Enjoy my little guys!

Brooksie

• Thank you received: 297

cebosound replied the topic: Re: Brooksie's African cichlid baby video diary 8/18

they're definitely growing brooksie.

thanks for sharing. :)

My YouTube Channel:http://www.youtube.com/user/cebosound1?blend=1&ob=0

• Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior
  • Thank you received: 345

Nina_W replied the topic: Re: Brooksie's African cichlid baby video diary 8/18

they're so cute :) Some blotchy, some less so, I see. I like how the big male blotch comes and pecks at the net.

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Ohio Cichlid Association Chairmen
  • Thank you received: 439

ehall67 replied the topic: Re: Brooksie's African cichlid baby video diary 8/18

looks good how many do you still have ?! some might look ok for real!

The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals

• askhammatt
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hi, im Matt, and im an Oscar addict.
  • Thank you received: 143

askhammatt replied the topic: Re: They are here !!!! Babies !!!!

great update B.. glad everything is looking well!

• Brooksie
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Brooksie replied the topic: Re: 08/26 Brooksie's African cichlid baby video diary

cebosound wrote: they're definitely growing brooksie.

thanks for sharing. :)

Yes they are! Glad I'm not the only one seeing it! Thanks for watching!

Nina_W wrote: they're so cute :) Some blotchy, some less so, I see. I like how the big male blotch comes and pecks at the net.

They were all up at the top until I popped the camera over the top! :woohoo: Chickens! I hope they get more blotchy !!!!

ehall67 wrote: looks good how many do you still have ?! some might look ok for real!

I have 35 still hanging in there!!! I just lost one in the tank... it's actually still alive in the tank. Amazingly he's hiding in the caves from the big fish. He jumped out of the net when they were being moved from the breeder box to their holder box for cleaning. We shall see if I can catch him next time I empty all the caves out...otherwise I hope he keeps hiding! The other 3 were accidently squished with the net when trying to scoop them out. :S :blush:

askhammatt wrote: great update B.. glad everything is looking well!

MATT !!!!! Where ya been?? I've missed ya !!! All is well here... how all is well with you!

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Ohio Cichlid Association Chairmen
  • Thank you received: 439

ehall67 replied the topic: Re: 08/26 Brooksie's African cichlid baby video diary

lol its all good casualties do happen but squished by the net o wee lol...

and I figured you might lose some more than that I think all things considered you are doing a danm good job

The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals

• Brooksie
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Brooksie replied the topic: Re: 08/26 Brooksie's African cichlid baby video diary

ehall67 wrote: lol its all good casualties do happen but squished by the net o wee lol...

and I figured you might lose some more than that I think all things considered you are doing a danm good job

34... one died last night for unknown reasons. Not at the hand of my net either ! It's hard to get those little guys in the net without squishing them!!! LOL

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.084 seconds