mmm..

• Joshm13
  • Joshm13's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Go Big Red!!! Husker football!!
  • Thank you received: 4

Joshm13 replied the topic: Re: mmm..

So my male demasoni will kill all the other ones eventually? I want one male and the rest female?

75 freshwater Malawi Cichlid tank
20 gallon long nano tank

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior
  • Thank you received: 345

Nina_W replied the topic: Re: mmm..

Joshm13 wrote: So my male demasoni will kill all the other ones eventually? I want one male and the rest female?

no. That's why you have to have a large, large horde of them. That way, a few males get kicked out of the colony, and you have to rescue them or they will be killed. After these few males are kicked out, the colony settles down, sometimes with a near 50/50 ratio of males to females. The aggression is spread out enough, amongst closely enough matched fish, that no one gets hurt, and everyone lives together.

But, if you try keeping a small group of demasoni (like the 8 juveniles, eventually 1 male 4 females, of the other more peaceful species) then the most dominant male in that small group will kill EVERY other fish that looks similar (females too). This happens quickly, while you sleep. You wake up to one dead fish every few days. Some he doesn't allow to eat, and they starve.

Having a successful colony is worth the patience and initial disruptions, though.

• Joshm13
  • Joshm13's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Go Big Red!!! Husker football!!
  • Thank you received: 4

Joshm13 replied the topic: Re: mmm..

So i work weekdays 8-530 you suggest buyin on a friday and watching all weekend and picking out the loaners in a few days? And every time i pick one out take it back and replace it?will the re colonize a different way if i rearrange the tank or will that not even matter

75 freshwater Malawi Cichlid tank
20 gallon long nano tank

• Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior
  • Thank you received: 345

Nina_W replied the topic: Re: mmm..

This is a slow process, it will take 8 months or more to run its course. First, the fish will all be juveniles, and there will be little to no aggression in your tank. Then, you'll notice one of your fish hides behind the filter, or is up in the corners of your tank - this is a kicked out male. They aren't instanly killed if you have enough of these fish, but it will be pretty miserable in the corner like that. Eventually, it will be killed or it will starve, but you have a few days to make arrangements - all this only works with enough demasoni. With too few things go very wrong.

Re-arranging the tank probably won't bother them. For some people, moving them to a new tank disrupts the colony, and chaos ensues, but I've never heard of changes in the same tank leading to that.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.076 seconds