Help me identify 4 of my fish please

  • Brooksie
  • Brooksie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Have you loved your fish today?
  • Posts: 3509
  • Karma: 13
  • Thank you received: 42

Brooksie created the topic: Help me identify 4 of my fish please

So there are 4 of my African Cichlids that I have not been able to positively identify. Now I'm seeking the assistance of the biggest resource I know... YOU GUYS !! And what does Brooksie do? She does what she does best.. she makes a video of the 4 fish for your viewing. There isn't much video of the last fish but I think I know what he is, just looking for clarification.



Fish # 1 - Albino something.

Fish # 2 - It's blue - maybe a Cobalt?

Fish # 3 - I know it's a blotch - trying to determine sex.

Fish # 4 - This one is the father of the babies (I think). I'm pretty sure it is a male Red Zebra. Looking for clarification or identification of the correct fish.

Please let me know what you think!

Also, I've decided that I'm going to thin out the tank. I'm going to get rid of my smallest Bumblebee, my orange Red Zebra and possibly fish # 2 and 3 listed above. The reason is that I'm looking for a male Giraffe and I want to breed my beautiful blotches. I will probably thin out a little more but this is a start.

OK.. back to the reason for the post. Thanks for helping me identify my fish!!

Brooksie :kiss:

There is a fine line between sanity and insanity.... Come walk it with me!
#264164

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • RoxyTheDog
  • RoxyTheDog's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Love your Pets.
  • Posts: 3210
  • Thank you received: 166

RoxyTheDog replied the topic: Re: Help me identify 4 of my fish please

No idea, but i just wanted to say hi anyway :)

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
#264165

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Brooksie
  • Brooksie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Have you loved your fish today?
  • Posts: 3509
  • Karma: 13
  • Thank you received: 42

Brooksie replied the topic: Re: Help me identify 4 of my fish please

RoxyTheDog wrote: No idea, but i just wanted to say hi anyway :)


Hi... how are you ?? Nice to see a familiar face.

There is a fine line between sanity and insanity.... Come walk it with me!
#264172

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • RoxyTheDog
  • RoxyTheDog's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Love your Pets.
  • Posts: 3210
  • Thank you received: 166

RoxyTheDog replied the topic: Re: Help me identify 4 of my fish please

Going great thanks Brooksie, hope you are too!

Love the africans, the black and yellow stripes is my fav, i think its because it reminds me of a clown loaches markings, and they all look happy and healthy.

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
#264175

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Brooksie
  • Brooksie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Have you loved your fish today?
  • Posts: 3509
  • Karma: 13
  • Thank you received: 42

Brooksie replied the topic: Re: Help me identify 4 of my fish please

RoxyTheDog wrote: Going great thanks Brooksie, hope you are too!

Love the africans, the black and yellow stripes is my fav, i think its because it reminds me of a clown loach, and they all look happy and healthy.


Thanks Roxy! Those are my Bumblebees! Sadly I'm getting rid of 1 or 2 of them. :( They get very big and they may be part of my tank water problem plus they are mean!! Otherwise everyone is happy !!

There is a fine line between sanity and insanity.... Come walk it with me!
#264176

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 11735
  • Thank you received: 297

cebosound replied the topic: Re: Help me identify 4 of my fish please

RoxyTheDog wrote: No idea, but i just wanted to say hi anyway :)

ha ha. :lol:

i'm not sure either, but hello brooksie! :woohoo:

My YouTube Channel:http://www.youtube.com/user/cebosound1?blend=1&ob=0
#264200

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Nina_W
  • Nina_W's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior
  • Posts: 7765
  • Thank you received: 345

Nina_W replied the topic: Re: Help me identify 4 of my fish please

me again, I hope that's ok?

1) albino something is 100% correct. Unless you got it from a specific, trusted breeder as an albino of a specific species, it's a hybrid. It's also most likely female

2) metriaclima callainos - would identify these guys anywhere :) a rather nice looking male. I'd be surprised if this guy wasn't the prime peanut in the tank :)

I love these fish. Oh, the blue! What a colour! But back on track...

3) looks to be a girl blotch - venting would be the only way to know for sure. I take my cues from two places - firstly, it has no blue on the face, that's a sign of a female, secondly, it seems to be an adult fish, yet it has no fin extensions like a male would have. Venting would be the only way to know for sure, but if there is really no blue, it's likely a girl.

4) definitely pseudotropheus socolofi. Got a very good look at it this time, I'm 100% certain (thanks for the many different short videos - helped a lot!). See the black on the lower fins, plus the black bar that shows up in the top fin at times? Definitely socolofi. Also, the face shape, zebras have a very slight humped forehead, this one has the perfectly rounded face of a pseudotropheus.
Definitely not a red zebra of any kind - sometimes (rarely) you get blue male red zebras. This is nowadays quite rare in the hobby trade, unless you import that variety. They are also very, very difficult to distinguish from cobalt blues (except for some things about number of rays, etc, but this gives you some idea of what it would look like).
#264271

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 11889
  • Karma: 9
  • Thank you received: 237

Noddy replied the topic: Re: Help me identify 4 of my fish please

Go Nina!!! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
Hey, B! You know I'm thinking of you, right! :kiss:
#264276

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Brooksie
  • Brooksie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Have you loved your fish today?
  • Posts: 3509
  • Karma: 13
  • Thank you received: 42

Brooksie replied the topic: Re: Help me identify 4 of my fish please

Nina_W wrote: me again, I hope that's ok?

1) albino something is 100% correct. Unless you got it from a specific, trusted breeder as an albino of a specific species, it's a hybrid. It's also most likely female

2) metriaclima callainos - would identify these guys anywhere :) a rather nice looking male. I'd be surprised if this guy wasn't the prime peanut in the tank :)

I love these fish. Oh, the blue! What a colour! But back on track...

3) looks to be a girl blotch - venting would be the only way to know for sure. I take my cues from two places - firstly, it has no blue on the face, that's a sign of a female, secondly, it seems to be an adult fish, yet it has no fin extensions like a male would have. Venting would be the only way to know for sure, but if there is really no blue, it's likely a girl.

4) definitely pseudotropheus socolofi. Got a very good look at it this time, I'm 100% certain (thanks for the many different short videos - helped a lot!). See the black on the lower fins, plus the black bar that shows up in the top fin at times? Definitely socolofi. Also, the face shape, zebras have a very slight humped forehead, this one has the perfectly rounded face of a pseudotropheus.
Definitely not a red zebra of any kind - sometimes (rarely) you get blue male red zebras. This is nowadays quite rare in the hobby trade, unless you import that variety. They are also very, very difficult to distinguish from cobalt blues (except for some things about number of rays, etc, but this gives you some idea of what it would look like).


:ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

Nina.. you can reply as many times as you want to my posts! You have answered questions that I have been asking myself and researching with no luck! Thank you so much!!!

# 1… I figured he/she was a “mutt”. Now it’s nice to know it’s a she at least.

#2… Cobalt Blue huh? He pretty much tries to run the tank other than the large Bumblebee in the tank. I’m actually considering getting rid of him because of his aggressiveness. :unsure:

#3… I so thought this was a male! Are you sure? :ohmy: I'm happy if it's a female but she's awful colorful & pretty for a female.

#4… This one makes me the happiest of all!! My hubby and I thought for sure that this was a Red Zebra! He’s very cool. I feel bad because I was actually going to get rid of him. Like I said we want to thin out the tank. Now I have to rethink my choices.

Noddy wrote: Go Nina!!! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
Hey, B! You know I'm thinking of you, right! :kiss:


I know you are !! :kiss: :kiss: Love to Dimmy and the kids !! :kiss: :kiss:

There is a fine line between sanity and insanity.... Come walk it with me!
#264584
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noddy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Nina_W
  • Nina_W's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior
  • Posts: 7765
  • Thank you received: 345

Nina_W replied the topic: Re: Help me identify 4 of my fish please

I'm happy to help. I love malawi fish :)

I'm not 100% sure it's a female, but 80% is a fair estimation. Venting would be the only way to be 100%. Female blotches can be very colourful - but no blue on the face, and the lack of fin extensions despite her fins being quite angular does suggest a female.

As with all sexing, if you didn't vent, or see her hold, 80% is the very best you can guess at. Females also shimmy, but as aggression, not as breeding. Too bad it looks the same to us, so behaviour is rarely much help.

If you're looking to reshuffle, why not pick three of the species you like the most (the socolofi, since you like him, the blotches, and one other more peaceful species like yellow labs), and set them up with harems? More peaceful, much less hybridisation?
#264739

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.175 seconds