New Yellow lab & Tropheus Moorii - thanks Nina!

• Brooksie
  • Brooksie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Have you loved your fish today?
  • Thank you received: 42

Brooksie created the topic: New Yellow lab & Tropheus Moorii - thanks Nina!

So in one of my other threads, I have conquered the problem with my cloudy tank :woohoo: and thinned out some of the trouble makers. I got rid of the smallest Bumblebee - he was being bullied by the other two. Blue Cobalt because he was the brut of the tank. One Blue Acei - he was beating up on the other (thanks Nina for the advice). And the Red Zebra - I just didn't want her to get pregnant, I've had enough of those babies.

I did this in preparation for getting what I wanted in the tank. I guess that's what you have to do some times huh? Anyway, here's my 2 new occupants... of course it's a video !!

Now I know what the first one is. I accidently killed the other two that I had in the tank and now my sole surviving Yellow is lonely. :(

The second one in the video was not one that I purchased though.... at least not on purpose! He was in the bag with the Yellow and we didn't realize it until we were home! :ohmy: We called the store and the guy told us that the only other thing in the tank with the Yellows was something called a Moorii Cichlid???

I tried looking up the pics but it doesn't look anything like what I have in the tank. So, Nina? what do you think I have?? He's pretty small - not even an inch!

I'll take whatever help you can provide as usual!

Brooksie :kiss:

There is a fine line between sanity and insanity.... Come walk it with me!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior
  • Thank you received: 345

Nina_W replied the topic: Re: New fish... need help with one! Nina?

Lovely yellow lab :)

The other one...

It might be a very young cyrtocara moorii - dolphin cichlid. They do look a bit like that when they're really small - does it show any blue at all? At 4cms they definitely start showing blue, this is near two inches, so at this point the answer would be definitive. Perhaps this question needs to wait a few days for it to settle in. These guys grow large, 9 inches, and it is very likely to be bullied by everything in your tank. (Incidentally, if there ever was an African fish to mix with oscars, a school of these guys (yes, they school - to an extent. You need a HUGE aquarium to see this) would look spectacular in a large enough tank for it - and they won't kill the oscar)

It also looks like some kind of juvenile tropheus moorii (through the screen is hard to tell features). Does it have any spots ever?

They're from lake Tanganyika, and they change dramatically as they grow, from very dull to a brown base with any of a myriad colours. If I could see it's head better, I could be more certain, but a place to start would be if you would google 'tropheus moorii juvenile' and see if they look similar. Pay special attention to the head shape, tropheus have a very rounded forehead.
If it's one of these, it may or may not work out. They are know to be extremely aggressive, especially the males.

You need a better fish shop...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brooksie

• Brooksie
  • Brooksie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Have you loved your fish today?
  • Thank you received: 42

Brooksie replied the topic: Re: New fish... need help with one! Nina?

Nina_W wrote: Lovely yellow lab :)

The other one...

It might be a very young cyrtocara moorii - dolphin cichlid. They do look a bit like that when they're really small - does it show any blue at all? At 4cms they definitely start showing blue, this is near two inches, so at this point the answer would be definitive. Perhaps this question needs to wait a few days for it to settle in. These guys grow large, 9 inches, and it is very likely to be bullied by everything in your tank. (Incidentally, if there ever was an African fish to mix with oscars, a school of these guys (yes, they school - to an extent. You need a HUGE aquarium to see this) would look spectacular in a large enough tank for it - and they won't kill the oscar)

It also looks like some kind of juvenile tropheus moorii (through the screen is hard to tell features). Does it have any spots ever?

They're from lake Tanganyika, and they change dramatically as they grow, from very dull to a brown base with any of a myriad colours. If I could see it's head better, I could be more certain, but a place to start would be if you would google 'tropheus moorii juvenile' and see if they look similar. Pay special attention to the head shape, tropheus have a very rounded forehead.
If it's one of these, it may or may not work out. They are know to be extremely aggressive, especially the males.

You need a better fish shop...

Yep my LFS is just a PetSmart. The other one around me isn't a place I would ever buy fish from. They always come home diseased or dead within 48 hours. At least the PetSmart ones live! Like I said, I didn't buy this little guy, he was in the bag with my Yellow.. he was a freebee! I'm keeping him in the breeder box.

It's the Tropheus Moorii for sure. I did some research on him and it says they can be in with the Lake Malawi's. You don't think he'll make it? He's so damn cute!

There is a fine line between sanity and insanity.... Come walk it with me!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds