Blotches.. let's try for some REAL OB babies !

• Brooksie
  • Brooksie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Have you loved your fish today?
  • Thank you received: 42

Brooksie created the topic: Blotches.. let's try for some REAL OB babies !

So I've taken some of my blotches and moved them to the smaller tank that has the Blue Lobster (aka Crayfish) in it. My goal is to get one of the females pregnant by the beautiful male Blotch. With luck, this time my babies will be blotch babies !! :woohoo: :woohoo:

Let's start with some pics....

Beautiful male...

All 3 of them...

The 2 calm ones...

This little one, still growing, is in the 120 gallon tank. I am not convinced that it's a female totally. It's getting some beautiful colors. I could be wrong. I have been numerous times and this is probably another one of those times. So here are some pics of him, maybe you guys can help with a final "sexing" of this little one.... Plus he is at the end of the video for some action shots!

Here's the video of everyone!

As always, your comments are welcome. Thanks so much for checking out my thread and for watching my videos!

Brooksie :kiss:

There is a fine line between sanity and insanity.... Come walk it with me!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior
  • Thank you received: 345

Nina_W replied the topic: Re: Blotches.. let's try for some REAL OB babies !

Brooksie, I was wrong. It's a young male. Leave him in the big tank, let the two ladies and your really pretty male get it on.

Is the crayfish still in there? Keep an eye on it, it will catch fry, and if it molts, it will be lunch.

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Ohio Cichlid Association Chairmen
  • Thank you received: 439

ehall67 replied the topic: Re: Blotches.. let's try for some REAL OB babies !

not thats how you take pictures of OB's !!! love the breeding program cant wait to get mine running wish I could be part of that one !!! ;)

The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals

• Brooksie
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Brooksie replied the topic: Re: Blotches.. let's try for some REAL OB babies !

Nina_W wrote: Brooksie, I was wrong. It's a young male. Leave him in the big tank, let the two ladies and your really pretty male get it on.

Is the crayfish still in there? Keep an eye on it, it will catch fry, and if it molts, it will be lunch.

I was so hoping you were going to say that. :) :) :) This time I'm glad you are wrong!!! I figured the odds should be in favor of one of the sexes and since I have an even number of males & females I choose to have extra females in hopes that one would get preggers. They are chasing the male around right now though. :( I'm hoping that will stop soon. It's actually just one that is doing the chasing. Not the one that had the babies last... the older female.

Yes the crayfish is still in there. He hasn't molted since March?? :unsure: Not sure what the issue is... if there is one or not actually. My first experience with them. But if I see one get preggers, she gets pulled out and into a breeder box, and the OB's go back into the big tank! This tank will get turned into the baby tank when the babies are big enough to hold their own with the filter - not get sucked into it.

ehall67 wrote: not thats how you take pictures of OB's !!! love the breeding program cant wait to get mine running wish I could be part of that one !!! ;)

Thank you very much! Do you know how many pics it took for me to get those 7 decent pictures !!! I won't embarrass myself and tell you but I'm horrible at still pictures. I do better at videos and I've been slacking off at those.. not taking my time and doing it right, just taking quickies.

The breeding program was my hubbies idea... I can't wait to see if it works! I'll try it out for you and work out the kinks for you ok? ;) Wish me luck... I want babies from that gorgeous male!

• Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior

chasing the male is good, they're sizing him up. But it may take some time for them to want to get frisky, after moving mine it always takes a good while for them to warm up again.

The first sign would be your females getting plump, despite a normal feeding routine.

• Brooksie
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Nina_W wrote: chasing the male is good, they're sizing him up. But it may take some time for them to want to get frisky, after moving mine it always takes a good while for them to warm up again.

The first sign would be your females getting plump, despite a normal feeding routine.

The chasing has died down just a little but there is still some chasing going on. Now someone is doing the digging of the gravel. ;) Now to wait for a plump female or for a fat throat! The other female never got plump anywhere but her throat when she got preggers before. We shall see.

• Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior

ooh, this is so exciting!

• Brooksie
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Nina_W wrote: ooh, this is so exciting!

I know isn't it ?!?!?!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.161 seconds