Little update, baby pic and fighting ladies

• Nina_W
  • Nina_W's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior
  • Thank you received: 345

Nina_W replied the topic: Re: Little update, baby pic and fighting ladies

that's actually a female in really intense submissive colours. She does that whenever she's holding. Normally, she looks like this:

These guys I can't sex, literally until they breed. You could very well have a female in your own tank, and you've definitely seen many females.

Thanks for watching, Brooksie :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Brooksie
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Have you loved your fish today?
  • Thank you received: 42

Brooksie replied the topic: Re: Little update, baby pic and fighting ladies

That's what I thought it was.. a female. Mine is definitely a male though. They say that one way to tell is the black strip along the top fin. If it goes all the way down, it's probably a male (not a definite). Female stripes don't go as far down the fin. I know it isn't a positive sexing but it's all I have to go by... that's what I was using when looking at your fish.

Either way.... BEAUTIFUL Yellow!

There is a fine line between sanity and insanity.... Come walk it with me!

• Thank you received: 297

cebosound replied the topic: Re: Little update, baby pic and fighting ladies

cool project nina.

those guys are lip locking pretty good there huh

My YouTube Channel:http://www.youtube.com/user/cebosound1?blend=1&ob=0

• Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior

yes, they fight quite dramatically, those two. Not every female is like that, but these two can't stand each other whenever they get close to breeding time.

These are my first love in fishkeeping. I love the cobalt blues, I've had generations of them. I can't imagine not having these guys :)

• Thank you received: 182

jnet replied the topic: Re: Little update, baby pic and fighting ladies

nice fish lol as ever Im slow to this I missed it. I do like africans for all the action they are quite complex little fish. :)

I'm living my life, but not necessarily in the right order :)

• Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior

Brooksie wrote: That's what I thought it was.. a female. Mine is definitely a male though. They say that one way to tell is the black strip along the top fin. If it goes all the way down, it's probably a male (not a definite). Female stripes don't go as far down the fin. I know it isn't a positive sexing but it's all I have to go by... that's what I was using when looking at your fish.

Thank you :)
I thought you meant the dark colours on her, guests sometimes ask why I keep the ugly one...

I've never heard of the stripe thing, but I will keep my eyes open, and see if that correlates to my fish at least. Small sample set, but at least it might give an idea.

• Brooksie
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Have you loved your fish today?
  • Thank you received: 42

Brooksie replied the topic: Re: Little update, baby pic and fighting ladies

Nina_W wrote:

Brooksie wrote: That's what I thought it was.. a female. Mine is definitely a male though. They say that one way to tell is the black strip along the top fin. If it goes all the way down, it's probably a male (not a definite). Female stripes don't go as far down the fin. I know it isn't a positive sexing but it's all I have to go by... that's what I was using when looking at your fish.

Thank you :)
I thought you meant the dark colours on her, guests sometimes ask why I keep the ugly one...

I've never heard of the stripe thing, but I will keep my eyes open, and see if that correlates to my fish at least. Small sample set, but at least it might give an idea.

No prob about the confusion... it is after all typing and not talking. ;)

I learned all my stuff online which is scary itself! Here is the site that I picked that info up at - two of them actually:
www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/l_caeruleus.php This is at the very end of the article:
Males tend to have much more black on their pelvic and anal fins, and are usually 1/3 larger than females at adulthood.

www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/Fishindx/caeruleu.htm
This one doesn't let me copy & paste the actual text but I'm sure you can find it in the "sexing" section.

I don't usually trust information I find on the web unless I find it repeatedly. As for venting a fish... no thanks!!! The idea makes me :sick:

There is a fine line between sanity and insanity.... Come walk it with me!

• Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior

cichlid-forum is a great source for Africans. I'm surprised that article has somehow escaped me... thank you!

Venting is also not something I choose to do. But if they're off to the shop and I'm catching them anyway, a quick peek hurts no one :)

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.082 seconds