:) African Cichlid babies.. 44 days old

• Brooksie
  • Brooksie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Have you loved your fish today?
  • Thank you received: 42

Brooksie created the topic: :) African Cichlid babies.. 44 days old

It's time for the weekly update on the babies. And oh my have they changed a lot in the last week! :ohmy:

I had to move them from their breeder boxes into the 20 gallon tank because they were dying in the boxes. :unsure: :( Not sure if it was because of bad water conditions (doubtful) or if they were crowded and picking on each other (more likely since they were getting so big). So we moved the 3 big blotches back into the 120 gallon tank and gave up on the attempt at breeding them for now because I wanted to save these babies.

After moving the babies into the tank, they have settled right in with the bristle nose pleco - Pinky and Blue, the Florida Blue Lobster/Crayfish. There have been NO issues what so ever and every one is happy. I honestly have no idea right now how many babies are left. At some point I will get a count but I did loose quite a few. :unsure: :( :( :( Luckily I had a BUNCH to start.

Before showing you the videos. Interesting thing. I swear that these babies are from 2 pregnancies. You will see what I'm talking about when you see them. The babies were born on 2 completely different days. I don't suppose it's possible for her to get pregnant by 2 different men at the same time is it??? :S :huh: :(

There are clearly a babies that are striped fish that match the Powder Blue fish and there are clearly blotch babies. I guess that's possible anyway with the Powder Blue being the dad huh?

Here's a video of the babies:

And here's a short video of them eating:

I would really appreciate feed back on this one! Thanks everyone for checking out my video!

Brooksie :kiss:

There is a fine line between sanity and insanity.... Come walk it with me!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior
  • Thank you received: 345

Nina_W replied the topic: Re: :) African Cichlid babies.. 44 days old

Brooksie, I did some reading, and it seems that the gene that has these fish come out in blotches is a dominant one, so it is to be expected that half of your spawn will be blue, and half blotchy.

But it does look weird in the video.

I also think the powder blue is the dad. Considering that blotches are hybrids already, you could potentially call these OBs, but the babies won't breed blotchies all the way. Some of the blues will have blotchy babies, and some of the blotchies will have blue babies.

I still think you should feed them to Red and Daggermouth, and not sell them. But I am glad if you can make something for them.

• Thank you received: 297

cebosound replied the topic: Re: :) African Cichlid babies.. 44 days old

wow , lots of happy healthy babies there brooksie! :cheer:

how many do you have total (aprox) ? ... are you going to sell some to the lfs?

My YouTube Channel:http://www.youtube.com/user/cebosound1?blend=1&ob=0

• Brooksie
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Brooksie replied the topic: Re: :) African Cichlid babies.. 44 days old

Nina_W wrote: Brooksie, I did some reading, and it seems that the gene that has these fish come out in blotches is a dominant one, so it is to be expected that half of your spawn will be blue, and half blotchy.

But it does look weird in the video.

I also think the powder blue is the dad. Considering that blotches are hybrids already, you could potentially call these OBs, but the babies won't breed blotchies all the way. Some of the blues will have blotchy babies, and some of the blotchies will have blue babies.

I still think you should feed them to Red and Daggermouth, and not sell them. But I am glad if you can make something for them.

Thanks for the research Nina. Interesting how they look huh? I don't know what I'm going to do with them yet. :S It's up in the air until they are grown. I know I'm not going to feed them to my other fish because I know of a couple of friends that want them - knowing who their parents are. :laugh: If there are any really beautiful ones, I might keep one myself. But I'm going to go back to my breeding project with my OB's. Thanks again....

cebosound wrote: wow , lots of happy healthy babies there brooksie! :cheer:

how many do you have total (aprox) ? ... are you going to sell some to the lfs?

I might only have like 20 left? I'm not sure at all. :S The next time I empty the caves out I'll try to count them.

As always, thanks for checking them out!

• Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior

My worry was that the shop would sell them as OBs, which would be unfair to the buyers. But if people want them knowing their parents, that's the very best outcome :)

I hope there's a really nice one that you keep. I love raising my fry, and seeing them as adults :)

• Brooksie
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Nina_W wrote: My worry was that the shop would sell them as OBs, which would be unfair to the buyers. But if people want them knowing their parents, that's the very best outcome :)

I hope there's a really nice one that you keep. I love raising my fry, and seeing them as adults :)

I would have a problem with that too. I'm sure that as a customer I would hate that and have probably been the victim of that myself. Not going to do that to someone. This will be my first fry raising !! I'm excited to see one of them grow too. Just to decide which to keep. :pinch:

• Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior

you'll know in a month or so which are your favourites, I'm sure :)

• Thank you received: 297

cebosound replied the topic: Re: :) African Cichlid babies.. 44 days old

how are the babies doing brooksie?

My YouTube Channel:http://www.youtube.com/user/cebosound1?blend=1&ob=0

• Thank you received: 29

GeorgeP replied the topic: Re: :) African Cichlid babies.. 44 days old

Well I missed this thread.... :( , on the upside though, I know who I'm messaging when my mom is ready to start a african tank!

• Brooksie
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Nina_W wrote: you'll know in a month or so which are your favourites, I'm sure :)

I know... they are growing sooo fast! I'm waiting for another week before I send out another update.

cebosound wrote: how are the babies doing brooksie?

I'm still around Cebo. ;) I promise not to go anywhere. I just haven't had much to comment on. :(

The babies are doing awesome! Growing like crazy!! Like I told Nina, I'm waiting another week to send out an update to show a bigger growth. They are still hungry little beasts. Their colors are starting to show too. :woohoo: I'm so excited!! Thanks for keeping an eye out for me.

GeorgeP wrote: Well I missed this thread.... :( , on the upside though, I know who I'm messaging when my mom is ready to start a african tank!

No worries George. Not many people comment on it unless they are African fans. I'd be happy to help your Mom... Nina is the EXPERT on these guys though... I'm just a local help since I live near by. Hope things are going ok with you and the move. I've been out of touch with your threads. :blush:

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds