• toni-a
  • toni-a's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22

toni-a created the topic: Stocking malawi cichlid tank

Hi all,
The sump and filtration and working perfectly in my malawi tank :D
It's a 113cm 65 gallon tank being cycled.
I got all cichlids as fry (3 cm or 1 inch) raising them in a growout tank before moving them to their new home
Here's my current fry stocking, rehoming is quite easy.
All fish are fry so impossible to sex
Yellow lab X7
Livingstonii X1
Venustus X2
fire red aulonocara X2
Red Zebra X1
blue zebra X1
electric (or cobalt ?) blue zebra X1
I can freely exchange fry at the LFS, which ones to keep ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JasonR
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hey man...Got a light?
  • Thank you received: 452

JasonR replied the topic: Re: Stocking malawi cichlid tank

No experience with these but hopefully someone can chime in soon. Glad you got things up and running

• bassetman
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Parachromis and Caquetaia thorichthys Addict
  • Thank you received: 182

bassetman replied the topic: Re: Stocking malawi cichlid tank

Keep the ones you like and that get along. If you keep a mixed bag the fry will be worthless so just leave them in the tank and they will disappear.

Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement

• toni-a
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

toni-a replied the topic: Re: Stocking malawi cichlid tank

read my tank is too small for livingstoni and venustus :(
I am ready to rehome them, however if I wait them to grow up a little I would have much more choices for exchanging them.
What other fish would you suggest to what I have any other fish need rehoming ?

• mclaren880@gmail.com
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

mclaren880@gmail.com replied the topic: Re: Stocking malawi cichlid tank

We have a Venustus in our 75 gallon. We've been dealing with a fish breeder and she says they won't grow to full size in the tank. We've also spoken with 2 other fish breeders, and they agree with this.

Be careful with taking advice from people on forums, while it is a very useful thing to look around and read about other people's experiences, I have noticed that people will sometimes treat their own experience as hard rules that happen all the time. Example: This fish doesn't get along with this fish. While some breeds do have certain tendencies, all 3 fish breeders we have spoken all say "it's the individual fish, not the breed." Now our fish breeder will also say "those 2 fish can't go together." But, she has far less rules than a lot of people on these forums. I don't mean to come off as cutting down other fish people, i've always appreciated the help i've gotten on forums, but people's advice is just a "part of the puzzle" not rules you have to live by.

Fish we have had luck with (and a lot of these were told were no-nos):

Demasoni: Known for aggressiveness, but if you get only one or 2, they're pretty small and ours don't really bully anyone. Also, absolutely beautiful fish, i'd compared them to a Clown Fish a little.

Borleyi - Really pretty blue and yellow.

Flavecent

Otter Point

Blue Dolphin Hap - Supposedly more aggressive, but we haven't seen this.

Deepwater Hap - Another really pretty fish, my fiance and i love this one.

Calvus Fish - This is a Tang Cichlid, and people on forums said not to mix these with malawi, but ours don't bother anyone, and don't get picked on at all.

Frontosa - Awesome fish. The one i'm most nervous about. Many people say he'll get too big, but all the "experts" i talk to say he won't get his full size, and that it's fine.

It's also worth noting that i hear all these rules mainly apply when they go through puberty together. So you're doing it right with getting them young.

• bassetman
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Parachromis and Caquetaia thorichthys Addict
  • Thank you received: 182

bassetman replied the topic: Re: Stocking malawi cichlid tank

Keep ing fish in a too small aquarium is unhealthy and cruel to the fish....spend a month in a closet to simulate the feeling.. The key to the whole thing is to learn about the fish before you buy it and put it in an unsuitable home.if you do not want to take the advice of people on forums do not request the advice in the first place.

Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement

• toni-a
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

toni-a replied the topic: Re: Stocking malawi cichlid tank

bassetman wrote: Keep ing fish in a too small aquarium is unhealthy and cruel to the fish....spend a month in a closet to simulate the feeling.. The key to the whole thing is to learn about the fish before you buy it and put it in an unsuitable home.if you do not want to take the advice of people on forums do not request the advice in the first place.

That's why I built a bigger tank and I am trying to get the adequate fish for my tank size.
I am ready to rehome any fish that doesn't fit well in the combo.
I gave you my current fry stocking and I have contradictory advise here, should I rehome the venustus and livingstoni or not ?
For adequate stocking what would you suggest ?

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Ohio Cichlid Association Chairmen
  • Thank you received: 439

ehall67 replied the topic: Re: Stocking malawi cichlid tank

mclaren880@gmail.com wrote: We have a Venustus in our 75 gallon. We've been dealing with a fish breeder and she says they won't grow to full size in the tank. We've also spoken with 2 other fish breeders, and they agree with this.

Be careful with taking advice from people on forums, while it is a very useful thing to look around and read about other people's experiences, I have noticed that people will sometimes treat their own experience as hard rules that happen all the time. Example: This fish doesn't get along with this fish. While some breeds do have certain tendencies, all 3 fish breeders we have spoken all say "it's the individual fish, not the breed." Now our fish breeder will also say "those 2 fish can't go together." But, she has far less rules than a lot of people on these forums. I don't mean to come off as cutting down other fish people, i've always appreciated the help i've gotten on forums, but people's advice is just a "part of the puzzle" not rules you have to live by.

Fish we have had luck with (and a lot of these were told were no-nos):

Demasoni: Known for aggressiveness, but if you get only one or 2, they're pretty small and ours don't really bully anyone. Also, absolutely beautiful fish, i'd compared them to a Clown Fish a little.

Borleyi - Really pretty blue and yellow.

Flavecent

Otter Point

Blue Dolphin Hap - Supposedly more aggressive, but we haven't seen this.

Deepwater Hap - Another really pretty fish, my fiance and i love this one.

Calvus Fish - This is a Tang Cichlid, and people on forums said not to mix these with malawi, but ours don't bother anyone, and don't get picked on at all.

Frontosa - Awesome fish. The one i'm most nervous about. Many people say he'll get too big, but all the "experts" i talk to say he won't get his full size, and that it's fine.

It's also worth noting that i hear all these rules mainly apply when they go through puberty together. So you're doing it right with getting them young.

welcome to the site .. and lol im not even going to start

The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals

• mclaren880@gmail.com
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

mclaren880@gmail.com replied the topic: Re: Stocking malawi cichlid tank

My apologies, i tried to not make my post sound ungrateful for all the help I've received, but I realize now i did a very poor job of that. I scolded people who never even replied, and i'm sorry for that.

One question i have, and i'm curious to hear what people have to say, is about the overstocking issue. And i'm really not trying to be combative, just throwing an idea out there.

I would absolutely hate to sleep on the floor. I would also hate to be walked on a leash on and to eat the same food out of a metal bowl every day. Does that mean it's cruel to do these things do my dogs? I certainly don't think so. They're dogs, they don't think like us, and they don't have the same needs. Dogs are fine sleeping on the ground. I feel a similar logic holds here, they're fish. Fish don't think like us. Are they miserable if there are a few too many fish in the tank? They very well could be. But the logic of "think how you would feel" seems iffy to me.

• JasonR
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hey man...Got a light?
  • Thank you received: 452

JasonR replied the topic: Re: Stocking malawi cichlid tank

mclaren880@gmail.com wrote: My apologies, i tried to not make my post sound ungrateful for all the help I've received, but I realize now i did a very poor job of that. I scolded people who never even replied, and i'm sorry for that.

One question i have, and i'm curious to hear what people have to say, is about the overstocking issue. And i'm really not trying to be combative, just throwing an idea out there.

I would absolutely hate to sleep on the floor. I would also hate to be walked on a leash on and to eat the same food out of a metal bowl every day. Does that mean it's cruel to do these things do my dogs? I certainly don't think so. They're dogs, they don't think like us, and they don't have the same needs. Dogs are fine sleeping on the ground. I feel a similar logic holds here, they're fish. Fish don't think like us. Are they miserable if there are a few too many fish in the tank? They very well could be. But the logic of "think how you would feel" seems iffy to me.

Our recommendations here regarding stocking are based solely on the fishes overall health and specifically water quality and territorial issues.

If you would like to have your own discussion on this please start your own thread, but do not derail other's threads with it. Thanks

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.123 seconds