Shellies!!

• Thank you received: 55

theniceguy9112 replied the topic: Shellies!!

I love this article. It has a ton of information about these little guys and my 10 gallon tank is going to be perfect to house them into.

My plan when I move out and get my big tank (looking for a 150 gallon tank. Wanting to buy everything brand new, so trying to come up with a price list currently to know how much to save up for) I want to convert my 55 into a tank for shellies. They are an awesome fish! I'm not too sure on how hard it is to keep a high PH for them though, as well as making sure the water is hard enough to keep them in. Any brands of chemicals that you guys recommend that I can use? Also probably going to need a a better water test kit since my API kits doesn't test for water hardness.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior
  • Thank you received: 345

Nina_W replied the topic: Shellies!!

easiest buffer recipe is to mix it yourself :)

take a look:
www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/buffer_recipe.php

take note that bicarb as a carbonate buffer is not ideal (there is much talk about it being used up far too quickly to make much of a long term difference - in my tap water, though, it works like magic), but from many farming supply stores you can get other carbonate mixes that work just better.

• bassetman
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Parachromis and Caquetaia thorichthys Addict
  • Thank you received: 182

bassetman replied the topic: Shellies!!

I have used that buffer with great success, But prefer the SeaChem Buffers for ease and consistency of the mix..

Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Shellies!!

I've been looking at the various systems people use and I am definitely going to opt for a canister filter since good filtration seems to be very important.

I reckon the following items will give me what would be a stunning tank but without the need for hours of maintenance. I was quite surprised that they article recommended one or two water changes a month

www.charterhouse-aquatics.co.uk/eheim-2071-professional-250-filter-p-3023.html

www.aquariums.ltd.uk/BracelessBuy.asp?ProdURN=yI8sTVkXdl62YxQjP64uecOrwCFVHagr21W33kCUv9Sab51931

www.charterhouse-aquatics.co.uk/gravel-sands-cichlid-c-398_403.html

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

I have been reading up on Shell dwellers and especially the type of shells people use. From what I have read it is extremely difficult, if not impossible to obtain genuine snail shells that have come from Lake Tanganyika. Obviously a lot of people who set up bespoke aquariums would prefer to use the genuine article. But if you can't get hold of them was not much you can do about it. I've seen that a lot of people use edible snail shells, aka escargot. These can be purchased quite easily over the Internet. Now I have been looking at alternative shells that could possibly be readily available and resemble Lake Tanganyika snails and whelks certainly come very close. Whelks are readily available here in the South West, in fact, quite a few of our local boats fish for whelks, as they are eaten by a lot of people, especially during the summer when a lot of the seafood stalls are open along the harbour side. I'm going to look into how easy it is to obtain empty whelk shells so I will report back when I got more news.

• ehall67
  • ehall67's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Ohio Cichlid Association Chairmen
  • Thank you received: 439

ehall67 replied the topic: Shellies!!

I would like to know that ... I was thinking about just going with escargot shells like you said.... but if the other ones look more real and are not to hard to get that would be a nice option (ik we are across the pond for each other but would give me an idea )

The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

No promises, but if I can get hold of them readily and I am able to send them to the USA without any restrictions , then I'm sure I can sort some out for you. Mind you I'm sure that you can get whelks in the United States. It just depends on where you live

• gorgoroth
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Evil IT Administrator
  • Thank you received: 80

gorgoroth replied the topic: Shellies!!

or you can just buy some fake shells that look like the real thing, i'm guessing there must be some company that specializes in making shells from around the world.

160 gallon south american
190 gallon malawi

• ehall67
  • ehall67's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Ohio Cichlid Association Chairmen
  • Thank you received: 439

ehall67 replied the topic: Shellies!!

Ok cool thanks for the offer Pen!!

The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

To be quite honest, if I can't get hold of some whelk shells living here in Brixham, then I won't get hold of them anywhere. Brixham is probably the most well-known fishing town in the whole of the United Kingdom.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.094 seconds