Going marine!

• mathew-byrne
  • mathew-byrne's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8

mathew-byrne created the topic: Going marine!

Ok so I'm thinking of going marine with my four foot Molly tank it's a standard four foot tank. Was thinking maybe some coral / live rock and one or two fish. Filtration can I use canisters or has to be a sump? Any suggestions will b good and is it as hard as it seems to keep marine? I'm thinking it probably not going to be until after Christmas when I get my fx5 for my other tank so I can use my two canisters from that tank if canisters are sufficient.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Re: Going marine!

Sorry, not really any experience of having a marine tank. I do know that sump filters are very common with marine enthusiasts, in fact you can buy sump filters for the marine market, although they are incredibly expensive. If you are not going to keep many fish then I wouldn't bother going to the trouble, just stick with a canister filter.

I think some live rock and coral and just a few fish is definitely a good way to go, especially if it's not a particularly big tank. Keep us posted on what you are doing

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Thank you received: 297

cebosound replied the topic: Re: Going marine!

good luck with your saltwater tank. :)

... ive never tried it. :dry:

My YouTube Channel:http://www.youtube.com/user/cebosound1?blend=1&ob=0

• Thank you received: 4

Zending replied the topic: Re: Going marine!

I've always wanted a saltwater tank, tried it a couple times and failed with H.O.B. filters. I've read that canisters work just fine, but you have to use some live rock as some of the filter media, I guess. This is just my guess. My advice to you would be to read a bunch of the Marine tank forums and gather advice from the experts. Good luck! Please post pictures!

• mathew-byrne
  • mathew-byrne's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8

mathew-byrne replied the topic: Re: Going marine!

Well reading into it turns out that u can use canisters but you need to clean them every week and with 3 other tanks who wants to do that so looking into going for a sump and thinking I might do most of the work my self with abit of help from a mate at the local fish shop. It's going to be a long process but eventually I will gett there hopefully. It's hard when the misses is against you haha

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.110 seconds