Can you get Jellyfish?

• jnet
  • jnet's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 182

jnet created the topic: Can you get Jellyfish?

Just wanted to know because my dad went to sealife a few years back and since then he has had his heart set on jellyfish. Can you even get them for a home aquarium and what requirements do they need?

I think I found them once on sale from Japan but I'm guessing they would not ship to UK and they would not last the journey.

So anyone else had them as pets?

I'm living my life, but not necessarily in the right order :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• sharyn
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Fishy Midwife
  • Thank you received: 69

sharyn replied the topic: Re: Can you get Jellyfish?

Dunno jnet, apart from the whole marine hoo haa which is time consuming and expensive. Have u googled it? Just don't get poisonous ones!!!

• askhammatt
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hi, im Matt, and im an Oscar addict.
  • Thank you received: 143

askhammatt replied the topic: Re: Can you get Jellyfish?

never even considered it hun... id be more of a seahorse guy if i went marine!

• SantaMonicaHelp
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

SantaMonicaHelp replied the topic: Re: Can you get Jellyfish?

Don't know if it is okay in UK. But here in US, people do keep them as pets, I saw them in a LFS once.

My name is ??. I work for SantaMonica.

• Thank you received: 6

Remigo replied the topic: Re: Can you get Jellyfish?

SantaMonicaHelp wrote: Don't know if it is okay in UK. But here in US, people do keep them as pets, I saw them in a LFS once.

Im also unsure if they can be found in the UK. But like SantaMonica said, they are available for purchase in the US, but from what i'v seen, they are hard to take care of!

• Thank you received: 237

Noddy replied the topic: Re: Can you get Jellyfish?

but imo a jellyfish only tank will be boring very soon.
I had the idea though, that if you set up a good SW tank, you can loop the watersupply to a smaller tank, place besides the SW tank.
And place some jellyfish in there.
I believe a strong current pump in the J-fish tank wouldt be enough to keep them happy.
Our Zoo's have them, and it's nice to look at for a few minutes, but is boring real fast.
Just setting up a SW tank just for them , would be a waste...

The loop idea should work fine, but are you willing to start a SW tank esp for them?
I'll see if i can find an exporter from Holland.

edit:they only live very short , exporting is hard, but i found this.
An aquarium with low light, a curent pump and frE@king FAKE Yellyfish! :blink: :blink: :blink:

• Thank you received: 237

Noddy replied the topic: Re: Can you get Jellyfish?

And here some info i translated, and keeping them turns out to be VERY hard!

Quote:(don't mind mistakes in grammar, i used Babylon to translate)

Burgers' Ocean, the maritime part of Burgers' Zoo in Arnhem, can grow jellyfishes in captivity. It is a performance of world format. Jellyfishes are vulnerable animals life cycles wrapped with a large number of. Those must pass through all to become to reach eventually an adult animal. sea biologists worldwide have tried it, but generally finish the `kwallenkweek' after a couple months with a barge full stinking drab.

That citizen Ocean has the method now in the fingers, can with right an opening be called. Maximum Janse are maritime biologist and stand to the head of Burgers' Ocean. He lays from for which so much effort has been put in growing jellyfishes:
" What we in Burgers' do is public knowledge let make Ocean to try with this way natural possible sea environment; we grow ours own corals, we let sea cucumbers crawl concerning the floor of the aquariums as a type substance pistons, we want show the complete blade really. Thereby jellyfishes belong therefore.
Breedingtank for jellyfishes in Burgers' Ocean source: Burgers' Ocean Very vulnerable But with that dr. Janse have, however, obtained themselves a problem on the neck. Adult jellyfishes import is not do almost, and if the vulnerable animals survive travel already, then they go along but approximately a half year. Jellyfishes become not old.

And in the enormous aquariums of Burgers' Ocean there is much matter which is for a jellyfish perilous. A bubble can mean already end; if that caught he touches slowly but certainly by the gelatinous body gone will bore himself under the cap; the jellyfish dies.

Public also on the longer expensive jellyfishes to show there is in fact but an option: home growns, and that in large numbers. And that has therefore succeeded.

Maximum Janse: Behind the baffles we have in a special tank a real jellyfish canker which we can keep also in score. A wide supply therefore, sufficiently to have always animals to show in the public aquariums. It is a bewerkelijk method, a complete range of breedingtanks follow on for the different life cycles of the jellyfish each other to pass through, but we know the trick now

" ear jellyfish: simple small beast, but with difficulty to grow. source: Burgers' Ocean Stages The concubining of butterflies let fade to the life stages of the jellyfish to simple trick. It starts with minuscule jellieffishpolips; this is the being stuck stage where the animals look forward to there as a type mini-vulcanos.
Those forms itself to red larvae and after that to transparent minijellies.

Then they can move to a next aquarium where they can develop into adulthood. But then the care of sea biologist maximum Janse and its team is not yet beyond: " Jellyfishes its terribly stupid! As such a small beast in the angle of the aquarium ends up he does not have to twist the notion to and there to swim, he enters therefore simply dead which angle. That can solve you only by keeping water to pace a constant flow in the aquarium. On the other hand that flow water can be also not too hard; minijellies are very delicate and their hat can swing back as if were it an umbrella; again a jellyfish which dies.

Shaky success Last stage also this is therefore now in Burgers' Ocean under control. Publicly can enjoy lobes' the ear jellyfish, the well-known jellyfish with the four `in the cap which we have drill pudding on the range all sometimes as a type see lying. But even as adult animals the jellyfishes remain vulnerable; constant watch the motto is. Thus a jellyfish can constrict suddenly its cap. Nobody knows why, but the animal dies.
Also is possible he becomes lazy if there too much food comes in water; to be mouth flinging down pen becomes shorter than in nature the case is. And even a soupçon too strong stroming in water can wound the animal; a tentacle has this way withdrawn. Maximum Janse and its team are itself thus very aware how shakily their success will remain: At loving jellyfishes you must remain "reading" the animals . further must you much patience have and be prepared continuously to adapt the strategy .

Long read, but it seems like a very hard job, after reading this.
Better looks for something else...
Doesn't your father like Cuttlefish? :unsure:
Those are the most amazing SW creatures i've ever seen, and a tank with some of those will have you glued to the tank permanently.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Feforfar

• jnet
  • jnet's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 182

jnet replied the topic: Re: Can you get Jellyfish?

no worries I guess that out of the question he wont bother with that if too much hassle he gets panicky if things aint going right and if they dont last wrong he will think he did something wrong and thats why they died. Better they stick to mollies :)

Just he always goes on about when he was at sealife and the tank just had jellyfish and led lights and how calm and gentle it was. Like some one also stated he might be better getting seahorses if he wanted that kind of thing. :)

Guess that is why they are not forsale often :)

I'm living my life, but not necessarily in the right order :)

• Thank you received: 13

banjominnow replied the topic: Re: Can you get Jellyfish?

Just imagine trying to clean the tank with a jelly fish in it let alone a poisnous one. If I had a poisnous one I would forsure have Noddy putting his hand in the tank to remove rocks :silly: :side: :laugh:

• Thank you received: 1

Feforfar replied the topic: Re: Can you get Jellyfish?

I have a cousin that lives in Sydney (australia) and he bought a huge 800L tank, and went to the Harbour and got I think 3 Jelly Fish and he put them in his tank.
He also put a huge air rator on the side of the tank so it was a huge current (If you get what I mean.

Though I am not sure what he did though to get it like this, no idea at all.
And I know it wasnt fake cuz I went to see him last year and saw the tank.

So I think it is poossible but VERY hard and wastful in the makings.
In my opinon I think its good for the LOLS and WOWS.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.135 seconds