Raphael catfish with cichlids

• Huntert311
  • Huntert311's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Huntert311 created the topic: Raphael catfish with cichlids

So I'm getting ready to move a Raphael catfish into a 55 gallon tank with some bumblebee cichlids, but the tank has a low level of cichlid salt in it. Is this ok, and what salt levels are tolerable for a Raphael (if any, at all)? Ive heard there isn't really a need for cichlids to have any salt to begin with, but it's already in there. I just don't want the cat to be hurt.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior
  • Thank you received: 345

Nina_W replied the topic: Re: Raphael catfish with cichlids

Huntert311 wrote: So I'm getting ready to move a Raphael catfish into a 55 gallon tank with some bumblebee cichlids, but the tank has a low level of cichlid salt in it. Is this ok, and what salt levels are tolerable for a Raphael (if any, at all)? Ive heard there isn't really a need for cichlids to have any salt to begin with, but it's already in there. I just don't want the cat to be hurt.

Well, the raphael catfish will prefer softer water, but I think it can adapt to a higher salt content in water than the amazon would normally have...

but more to the point, I think your bumblebees (pseudotropheus crabro?) will murder it. The catfish looks all tough and armoured, but they're fairly gentle from what I've seen. Crabro are not. Beware its soft underbelly.

If you want to try it, be ready to keep a very close eye on things for a few days. If the catfish's tailfin starts dissapearing, move it out.

If you want a catfish to live with African cichlids that can take the punishment, why not a school of synodontis multipunctatis or synodontis petricola? They can take the heat, so to speak, and they come from similar waters.

• Huntert311
  • Huntert311's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Huntert311 replied the topic: Re: Raphael catfish with cichlids

I already have the catfish and my friend is taking it for me. So it's not so much that I'm LOOKING for one to keep with cichlids. her cichlids are all the same size as the catfish or smaller though, so I'm not overly concerned with them picking on him. However, she is going to keep an eye on him for the first few weeks for me. She's keeping him until he becomes large enough to go in a tank I have with an Oscar (about six inches) and another Raphael (about four) that get along really well. In fact, my Oscar is terrified of my catfish for whatever reason

• brad0h
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • A Hungry Fish Is A Healthy Fish
  • Thank you received: 25

brad0h replied the topic: Re: Raphael catfish with cichlids

Actually to raise your hopes, Raphaels are gentle but when picked on, they can be quite tough. I've seen it, and their pretty much unwanted meals for a fish, once they get a taste of their spikes. As to the salt content, that's a good question, I think it's a possibility for them to livei n it, just that really isn't preferred and as natural but I'm pretty that tough catfish can handle it. They grow to a decent size too. Also just in case, your Raphael would be MOST LIKELY fine with a six inch oscar, he'll pick at him but honestly he's not going to want/be able to eat it. (Assuming he's around 2 inches)

We aren't joking when we say water changes and Prime are the best solution to a problem.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds