help building a tank for locally caught sea fish

• toni-a
  • toni-a's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22

toni-a created the topic: help building a tank for locally caught sea fish

Hi folks,
I intend to build a seawater aquarium.I will be putting it shrimps and small locally caught small fish.
Here's the plan:
I live less than a mile from the beach.
I have a 20 gallon tank I am not using, will go to the beach, get some rocks algae and sea water, put everything in the tank, then catch some shrimps and small fish and live shells, put everything inside and that's it.
I won't need a heater since thtey are local fish, they are in their original water will compensate for evaporation with RO water and do 50% water change with sea water every weak.
This tank will be mostly a feeder tank for my green terrors who seem to love sea shrimps.
However I know nothing about saltwater tanks, can I use ahanging filter ? what kind of filtration do I need, as for cycling I will just put the fish with time it should cycle, those who don't do well just become green terror foood.
what to feed those shrimps and fish would the guppy micropellets and flakes work ?
what kind of filtration do you recommend?
any other things are needed ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• sharyn
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Fishy Midwife
  • Thank you received: 69

sharyn replied the topic: Re: help building a tank for locally caught sea fish

Hey, I would do some more research if I were you. I dont have a marine set up, but was looking into it awhile back. A few things jump out at me. You need living rock in a marine set up - not just shore line rocks but things like coral that contain micro organisms essential to maintaining the set up. You will not be able to maintain the temperature of a 20 gallon at the same point as the ocean is.
I dont have GTs but I dont feed my Os live food - it promotes aggression and increases the possibility of introducing things into your tank, also salt water shrimp would not be the usual food for a fresh water fish. I would suggest doing some more research..If you do decide on a marine set up you can just get water from the ocean instead of using RO water - I live in a coastal town and know people with salt water set ups who do this.

Good Luck

Shazzzzzz

• benmcfadden
  • Loose Lips Sink Ships
  • Thank you received: 877

benmcfadden replied the topic: Re: help building a tank for locally caught sea fish

You really need to know what fish they are that you catch and how big they will get.

Also some sort of filtration will be needed and most marine tanks need dosing with various addetives for the water,

Haku, I knew your were good.

• toni-a
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

toni-a replied the topic: Re: help building a tank for locally caught sea fish

Those are feeder fish, so they will not have the time to grow really big.
I will go to the beach with a small net and catch whatever I can find on the rocks, the last two times I got nothing buta lot of small shrimp and a small fish looking like catfish.
My green terrors loved the shrimps but not the fish so it will be basically sea shrimp, I expect them to live 2-3 weeks before they become food for my green terrors.

• benmcfadden
  • Loose Lips Sink Ships

benmcfadden replied the topic: Re: help building a tank for locally caught sea fish

I wouldnt feed wild caught feeders to your fish, they are full of disese and parasites. They can kill your fish

• toni-a
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

toni-a replied the topic: Re: help building a tank for locally caught sea fish

But would sea fish parasites and diseases be transmitted to freshwater fish ?

• benmcfadden
  • Loose Lips Sink Ships

yes they wouldnt be good for them

• Thank you received: 182

jnet replied the topic: Re: help building a tank for locally caught sea fish

also a big note here is

Is it allowed? A lot of places have restrictions on what you can take from wild and you could find yourself in real trouble.

Like Ben says I would not risk it; all you will end up with is a poor tank not even really a marine and a high risk of killing all your other fish.

I know we all go out and catch wild fish and put in a tank at some point in our lives I mean I use to always go down to local river when I was like 10 or 11 and not know what I was doing and most the time the fish got ate or lived a few months before dying. Its not good really.

Also a marine tank takes months to setup correctly.

I'm living my life, but not necessarily in the right order :)

• benmcfadden
  • Loose Lips Sink Ships

Yes, you cant just cycle a marine tank, you need months for it to be done correctly.

• Thank you received: 297

cebosound replied the topic: Re: help building a tank for locally caught sea fish

sounds like a fun project.

good luck. :)

My YouTube Channel:http://www.youtube.com/user/cebosound1?blend=1&ob=0

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds