Nano tank build pics galore!

• Joshm13
  • Joshm13's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Go Big Red!!! Husker football!!
  • Thank you received: 4

Joshm13 replied the topic: Re: Input?

Yes the water was from a cycled saltwater. His tank has been running for almost 8 years now.

75 freshwater Malawi Cichlid tank
20 gallon long nano tank

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Matt
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Serrasalmus Rhombeus, any questions?
  • Thank you received: 151

Matt replied the topic: Re: Input?

Awesome!

cebosound wrote: Waterchange, Waterchange, waterchange... till your knuckles are bleeding. ;) :lol:

My youtube page www.youtube.com/user/rwhp550?feature=mhee

• Thank you received: 1

ScottsTanks replied the topic: Re: Input?

Joshm13 wrote: Yes the water was from a cycled saltwater. His tank has been running for almost 8 years now.

The nitrifying bacteria don't live in the water column they live in the substrate, and on rocks and equipment. Getting used water doesn't help a cycle. Also with a reef tank what you really need is lots of microfauna. If you have access to live copepods and other microinvertibrates you need to get those, it will help your future corals immensely.

Also may I ask why it appears that you're running 3 hob filters on one SW tank?

• Joshm13
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

You must not have read my first post. The live gravel is from the same tank and in a few days I'm getting live rock, also out of the tank. It is all established already. I need to wait for the rest of my water to cycle? I figure about three weeks. The large hob filter has rock in it and the other two have filters in them, also have been put in the tank before moving it. Never too much filtration. My levels are already almost dead on and it's been 48 hrs. The already cycled live gravel and rocks in the filter really work!

See! The two are just polishing filters and I can alternate changing filters when the time comes so I do not hae to worry about a shock tote system either. Many more reasons but you get the jyst of it!

20 gallon long nano tank

• Matt
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Looks good, don't think there's any right way to skin a cat when it comes to saltwater. If you have an idea, odds are there's someone else with the same idea.

I loved my little saltwater when I had it, but it became too much work just to change the dang water lol. So until I can get a larger one, I'll stick with my freshwater setups

cebosound wrote: Waterchange, Waterchange, waterchange... till your knuckles are bleeding. ;) :lol:

• Joshm13
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Yes! I believe that 2-4 gallons a week change in a 20 will be fine. I cannot wait to start getting my coral. I told mollie last night I wanted to go look today! Lol

20 gallon long nano tank

• Matt
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

I had a fowlr tank, never really got into corals since I was just seeing how interested i'd be in saltwater. I'm kind of glad for the experience, but also glad I didn't make a huge investment either.

• Joshm13
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Just taking it slow, for sure baby steps. I cannot afford to lose 100s or more on a tank. It will be beautiful in no time though. Still trying to pick out some fish with the gf. For sure some Ocellaris Clownfish, and some type of gobby. Not many fish mostly corals.

20 gallon long nano tank

• Thank you received: 1

ScottsTanks replied the topic: Re: Input?

Joshm13 wrote: Just taking it slow, for sure baby steps. I cannot afford to lose 100s or more on a tank. It will be beautiful in no time though. Still trying to pick out some fish with the gf. For sure some Ocellaris Clownfish, and some type of gobby. Not many fish mostly corals.

The two biggest things I can recommend to you from my own reef tanks is 1) Ro/Di water no matter what and get some really good lights MH or newest generation LED, do not go cheap here when you thousands invested the tank (and you will believe me) you don't want to some cheap $200 hoT5 killing your corals from inadequate lighting

• Joshm13
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Yes ro is all ill be using and I have coralife 30 inch deluxe lunar fixture. 65 watt 10k daylight two 3/4 watt lunar bluefin glow led and a 65 watt true actinic 03 compact fluorescent. Also has two high capacity cooling fans. Perfect for what I plan on doing. Simply beautiful lights.

20 gallon long nano tank

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.081 seconds