46 bowfront reef build

• Big-Ken
  • Big-Ken's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 203

Big-Ken created the topic: 46 bowfront reef build

I keep talking about this supposed salt tank I'm building so I figured it was due time to post pics. It's just about complete and hopefully I can start adding water this weekend but I took pics through the whole process so I'm just going to do one big build post then I'll update the thread as I progress from here

-Specs

46 gallon bowfront
20 gallon sump
Inky box internal overflow
Coralife CS125 skimmer
Rio 1400 return pump
Aqueon Pro 200w heater
Mean green killing machine UV filter
2-Aqueon 500 circulation pumps
Current Orbit marine LED
Coralife 75gpd 4 stage RO/DI

Here's the tank after I bought it, just a plan 46 bowfront with stand

First thing was to have it drilled and the inky box installed. The inky box is made here locally by a guy in the club and its awesome, a single one can flow 1000gph and it takes up next to no room

Now the scary part :dry: That damn center brace HAS to go because it will cast a huge shadow down the center of the tank and block needed light like this.

First I marked and cut it out with a razor blade (empty of course)

Then I cut the new one out of acrylic

Then I taped the new one on and drilled 3 holes in a triangle pattern through both pieces, once cleaned up I applied epoxy between both braces and bolted the new one down with stainless steel nuts and bolts

Then plumbed up the drain and return, the drain has an external durso to quite it down and make the drain tunable

Then I built the sump, it's a simple two compartment with a bubble trap and large return section so I don't have to top off twice a day

That's it for now I'm doing the aqua scape now and I hope to start moving RO/DI water up from the storage container in the basement this weekend, I'll post up more pics when it's done

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 15

LeafsFan replied the topic: 46 bowfront reef build

Wow. That's awesome I would love to get into something like that once I learn more about the hobby. I'm still a little new to it. plus I'm sure I could do some cool piping and stuff for the filtration considering i finished a year long plumbing course and started my plumbing apprenticeship. Good job though your going to have a nice looking tank when your all finished.

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:46 bowfront reef build

Nice Ken. Finished project is gonna look and work great. What are you going to keep in it? Reef only or do you have any plans for other inhabitants? I'd like to do a FOWLR sometime to try my hand at salt. Scared id kill a reef. Lol

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: 46 bowfront reef build

BK,
Very cool. B) Only piece of advice I can give regarding a reef set-up is what we spoke briefly about the other day......IF you add live rock, no matter how trusted the source, make sure to put a mantis shrimp trap & a fireworm trap in there BEFORE adding fish......trust me on this one. Those little bastards can wreak havoc on some very expensive fish/corals, & you won't know they are in there until it's too late. :pinch:

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Big-Ken

Big-Ken replied the topic: Re:46 bowfront reef build

i took these pics last night

• Thank you received: 218

DBLN8 replied the topic: 46 bowfront reef build

well done Ken, looks great!

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:46 bowfront reef build

Wow ken that looks sick ! When I got back into the hobby my wife wanted saltwater.

• Big-Ken

Big-Ken replied the topic: Re:46 bowfront reef build

Had a disaster this morning the cheap 12" light i had in the sump area feel into the sump over night and leaked a brown rust dust all over the tank doing a full tear down and restart now, i was able to save all the inhabitants and about 20lbs of live rock so they will go in a temp tank while i fix this one

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: 46 bowfront reef build

That sucks, man....hope it all works out. :unsure:

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:46 bowfront reef build

Damn good luck cleaning it up

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.125 seconds