My oscar is sitting on the bottom of my tank?

• mishka
  • mishka's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18

mishka created the topic: My oscar is sitting on the bottom of my tank?

Hello, I'm new to this site.

I've had my oscar for 5 months now, he is a very healthy fish! Fast grower might I add.

I got him mid May, and now today almost 7 inches big, has a very big diet. I feed him blood worms, brine shrimp, ghost shrimp, high quality pellets, raw meat, never feeder fish.

His tank mates were a bumble bee cichlid and an assorted peacock cichlid along with a pleco, and a long time ago a kissing gourami.

He's been very active always swimming around, and with his rapid growth rate, I knew he would eventually kill my other two cichlids, so doing the right thing I donated them to a local tropical exotic fish store yesterday, they take great care of their fish.

So yesterday and today he's been sitting at the bottom of the tank and my nitrates, ammonia, temp and etc are normal.

Do you think he may be depressed I got rid of his friends? lol

Or is this just something he's doing for no reason?

Help greatly appreciated.

BTW: tank is 65g

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 3

shiratori replied the topic: Re: My oscar is sitting on the bottom of my tank?

He is probably sulking because his tank mates are gone. That's just my opinion though.

• Thank you received: 47

yaserloz replied the topic: Re: My oscar is sitting on the bottom of my tank?

raw meat
dont feed him raw meat its very wrong

• Miss Nicki
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Miss Nicki replied the topic: Re: My oscar is sitting on the bottom of my tank?

I agree, he is sulking over the disruption in his world!

And no raw meat!

• mishka
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

mishka replied the topic: Re: My oscar is sitting on the bottom of my tank?

I don't feed him raw meat every day, just as a treat every now and then. Maybe 5 times or so max. But I won't do that anymore, the last time fed him raw meat was about 3 weeks ago so I doubt that was the problem. But thanks for the tip.

• Thank you received: 3

shiratori replied the topic: Re: My oscar is sitting on the bottom of my tank?

Its just the fat content in the meat oscars and alot of fish in general can't metabolize the fat effiently there was a good article about this a couple of years ago from a public aquarium who where feeding their tuna fish a diet that was to high in fat so the tuna were dying early deaths due to clogged arteries.

• Thank you received: 91

Capt Dave replied the topic: Re: My oscar is sitting on the bottom of my tank?

As long as water chemistry is in check I would not worry much. X3 on the raw meat

I have no idea why the water bill is so high

• mishka
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Well, it's a good thing I didn't feed him raw meat every day or all the time. I definitely won't be doing it anymore though. Also, I only feed him ghost shrimp every now and then, only because I don't want to have to make pet store visits all the time, I got plenty of brine shrimp and blood worms in my freezer, and pellets of course, if there is any other type of food I could feed him that is great for him I would love to know.

Also, he is now back to swimming around the tank and is his normal self. It must have been because I got rid of his tank mates, But I only did this for a good cause.

• RoxyTheDog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Love your Pets.
  • Thank you received: 166

RoxyTheDog replied the topic: Re: My oscar is sitting on the bottom of my tank?

I`m glad your oscar is happy again and you did the right thing letting his friends go.
Bloodworms, brine shrimp and pellets are a great diet but you can also try real worms from the garden, crickets, grasshoppers, dragonflies and other insects. Some people on here feed their oscars vegies and fruit too, just try small samples to see which they will eat and don`t forget to remove any uneaten things before it turns your water bad!
Try to think of things that they would find in the wild or would drop into the water :)

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

• mishka
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Oh yes how could i forget, I feed him crickets of course. I have about 500 always in stock because of my bearded dragons, I'll throw a couple in there for him because he loves crickets, and in the past I have tried strawberries and mustard greens but he wasn't a fan.. I also threw him little bits of bread and he liked bread but I'm not sure if bread is bad for them? I like to experiment with my Oscar but I won't feed him anything I believe or have read that is dangerous. I would be desvestated if I lost my O!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds