parasite/fungus in tank-no more fish

• brandonkr
  • brandonkr's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

brandonkr created the topic: parasite/fungus in tank-no more fish

hey guys i have a 125 gallon that will soon house 2 baby oscars. but i just got done tearing down this 125 because the previous fish had some fungus and a parasite as well(heavy gill breathing and inflamed). i drained it and will refill it and drain it again and then fill it. how long should i let it sit after i fill it to assure that the parasite and fungus is gone? i was thinking 3 weeks. should i add anything to the water? most, if not all, of the parasite should be gone after draining and refilling a couple times. but i dont want to take any risks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• sharyn
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Fishy Midwife
  • Thank you received: 69

sharyn replied the topic: Re: parasite/fungus in tank-no more fish

I wouldn't re use any of the gravel, ornaments etc. I would be inclined to get a heap of salt - maybe a swimming pool salt bag and soak it for awhile with really salty water - canister, heater and any other equipment too. Usually freshwater parasites cannot tolerate salt, leave it for maybe a week to accommodate the lifecycle of whatever it was?

Anyone else with other non toxic dis infect ant ideas?

• brandonkr
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

brandonkr replied the topic: Re: parasite/fungus in tank-no more fish

so even if the tank has been completely drained and refilled a few times the parasite could still be there?

• brandonkr
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

remember there are no fish in the tank right now

• sharyn
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Fishy Midwife
  • Thank you received: 69

sharyn replied the topic: Re: parasite/fungus in tank-no more fish

I have no idea what the parasite was. I know velvet sits on the gills and eventually they die of oxygen depravation, I am pretty sure that velvet is like ich and the fish rub up against things and the eggs fall off.

How long they can live in the air or in tap water I dont know - I am sure you could find it on the net somewhere? I dont know if the eggs can be dormant for a period of time...I dont know what the original problem was, but if you want to disinfect your tank with something that will not leave a toxic residue in the tank after you rinse it, salt was the only thing I could think of.

Other more knowledgeable bods may have better suggestions?? I dont have much experience with parasites or fungi...the only one I have really had was ich and that was on fish newly acquired from the LFS.

The other thing you need to consider if your other fish died from this was where did it come from? If you had newly introduced fish perhaps consider a quarantine tank before buying from that LFS again. If they were not newly acquired then you may need to do some reading on maintaining top water. Poor water will lead to things like fin rot, fungus, ich etc. Keeping fish is easy - it is keeping the water that is hard!

The symptoms you describe - heavy breathing and red gills can be symptoms of ammonia poisoning - what were your water readings? What made you think it was parasitic - were there any other symptoms.

Anyway there is lots of good info here and lots of helpful people who want to help...

Good Luck!

• brandonkr
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

it wasnt ammonia poisoning. i bought a new fish and didnt quarantine and added him, later i noticed his heavy breathing and inflamed gills.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds