Is overstocking ever OK?

• sharyn
  • sharyn's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Fishy Midwife
  • Thank you received: 69

sharyn replied the topic: Re: Is overstocking ever OK?

Thanks big Ken I found that really interesting, it challenges some common beliefs! Based on my own experiment, overstocking works for my community...for now anyway. Thanx!!!!! Shazzzzzzzz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 297

cebosound replied the topic: Re: Is overstocking ever OK?

interesting findings from your overstocking experiment sharyn. i beleive there is some truth to the idea.

I am at the beginning phase of testing the theory out myself, with some aggressive Central American cichlids.

keep us updated on the progress, and you know i would love to see a video. ;) :cheer:

My YouTube Channel:http://www.youtube.com/user/cebosound1?blend=1&ob=0

• sharyn
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Fishy Midwife

cebosound wrote: interesting findings from your overstocking experiment sharyn. i beleive there is some truth to the idea.

I am at the beginning phase of testing the theory out myself, with some aggressive Central American cichlids.

keep us updated on the progress, and you know i would love to see a video. ;) :cheer:

thanks Cebo...oooh Agressive ones...yeh! There is a link to the you tube vid of my tank at the top of my post....and I put a great Aussie band called Choirboys circa 1980 something in the background....Shazzzzzz xx

• Thank you received: 203

Big-Ken replied the topic: Re: Is overstocking ever OK?

I looked into that experiment more and it looks like it was still going strong 3 1/2 years later and he had only lost 3 oscars (they were replaced), 2 were jumpers and 1 possibly by aggression. The last I could find was that they are now split in two 75 gallons connected by a tube and the fish ranged 10"-14", he did this because some of the oscars paired off and there was aggression issues starting.

• sharyn
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Fishy Midwife

Big-Ken wrote: I looked into that experiment more and it looks like it was still going strong 3 1/2 years later and he had only lost 3 oscars (they were replaced), 2 were jumpers and 1 possibly by aggression. The last I could find was that they are now split in two 75 gallons connected by a tube and the fish ranged 10"-14", he did this because some of the oscars paired off and there was aggression issues starting.

Thanks, it is really interesting! Sexual maturity will herald a whole new batch of hormonally driven behaviour - that is not overcrowding that is just sex. So the agression that killed off one may have had nothing to do with overcrowding and could have happened if there were only two in the tank. Is this research on the web somewhere?

• Thank you received: 17

Gazza replied the topic: Re: Is overstocking ever OK?

sharyn wrote:

Big-Ken wrote: I looked into that experiment more and it looks like it was still going strong 3 1/2 years later and he had only lost 3 oscars (they were replaced), 2 were jumpers and 1 possibly by aggression. The last I could find was that they are now split in two 75 gallons connected by a tube and the fish ranged 10"-14", he did this because some of the oscars paired off and there was aggression issues starting.

Thanks, it is really interesting! Sexual maturity will herald a whole new batch of hormonally driven behaviour - that is not overcrowding that is just sex. So the agression that killed off one may have had nothing to do with overcrowding and could have happened if there were only two in the tank. Is this research on the web somewhere?

Interesting look @ nature big fish more water :woohoo: lot's of little fish in the shallows but with huge water flow so your call

The purpose of life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave with a well-preserved body, but rather to Slide in Sideways, completely used up, yelling and screaming, what a ride!

• The Kenosha Kid
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3

The Kenosha Kid replied the topic: Re: Is overstocking ever OK?

My water readings on the weekend were 0 for ammonia and nitrite, 5 for nitrates, ph 6.8 – 7. Running 5600 l p h filtration (2 x 2800 filters), 30% weekly water changes.

It is simply not possible to have nitrates at 5 with that stock list and 30% water changes. Your test kit is defective. (Or, as I suspect, the nitrates are so high it can't measure them.)

One Oscar in a 75 gallon can easily get nitrates to 20 in a week (with 50% water changes). You have 3 times the water and ten times the fish. Replace your test kit immediately and Google "old tank syndrome" before doing any huge water changes.

The Oscar experiment is a travesty.

So far the fish are healthy and seem happier than other Oscars he has raised.

Seem happier? There's a scientific measurement for you! :blink:

• sharyn
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Fishy Midwife

The Kenosha Kid wrote:

My water readings on the weekend were 0 for ammonia and nitrite, 5 for nitrates, ph 6.8 – 7. Running 5600 l p h filtration (2 x 2800 filters), 30% weekly water changes.

It is simply not possible to have nitrates at 5 with that stock list and 30% water changes. Your test kit is defective. (Or, as I suspect, the nitrates are so high it can't measure them.)

One Oscar in a 75 gallon can easily get nitrates to 20 in a week (with 50% water changes). You have 3 times the water and ten times the fish. Replace your test kit immediately and Google "old tank syndrome" before doing any huge water changes.

The Oscar experiment is a travesty.

So far the fish are healthy and seem happier than other Oscars he has raised.

Seem happier? There's a scientific measurement for you! :blink:

The nitrates are low because I do big weekly water changes, the fish are healthy so I have no reason to believe there is anything going wrong with my test. I will ask the neighbour for his test kit tomorrow just to double check...thanks! Re being too high to measure...I am flat out getting it to go past yellowy orange...if it was high it would go to the max color red..it is an API professional test kit.

I have a different process for managing waste in my tank - the Oscar poo comes out as partially digested bloodworms which are then re- eaten a couple of times by the smaller fish. By the time it hits my filters it is fairly well processed organic matter. I only give them pellets one day a week, the bulk of their diet is blood worms - fairly simple protein that the fish and the tank can handle as opposed to complex synthsised and over processed protein chains.

I value everyones opinion, that is why I asked, so thanks for taking the time to post! You are obviously passionate about Oscars!

Sharyn

Oh and I know what old tank syndrome is, and it isnt relevant.. thanks.....

• Thank you received: 182

jnet replied the topic: Re: Is overstocking ever OK?

This is really interesting and I have also admitted my tank is overstocked but everyone happy healthy and my nitrates are always below 20 I cant get 5 because my tapwater is 10 on a good day :) I'm not sure whether or not you will have aggression issues later on when they mature or pair up but this is going along my plan with my Excichlasoma Istlanum in that I was hoping to keep more females and good water and hoping this cuts down aggression when spawning. I will have to see and be ready with barrier if eveything goes wrong :)

The experiment seems very floored though almost allowing people to think that you can overstock with no worries and who is really going to keep up with 100% Wc every day???? No one has that time; I'm liking the idea though of maybe an automatic waterfall flush system maybe some one could look into it and invent for pond :) I'm sure sealife has something similar with a fast flow river tank that chucks fresh water in every hour like a tidal wave. In theory its the same thing. You could have a tank of filter water and then cycle the two tanks round. I would have also thought that doing a WC everyday may distress the fish more? I dont know but do agree my fish love to dive under the new water in my waterchanges.

And also it shows the divide once more between tigers and albinos :)

Sharn and cebo you will have to let us know how your experiments go :)

I'm living my life, but not necessarily in the right order :)

• Thank you received: 297

cebosound replied the topic: Re: Is overstocking ever OK?

jnet wrote:
Sharn and cebo you will have to let us know how your experiments go :)

For Sure. ;)

and we have a kenosha kid sighting. havent heard from him in a while.

My YouTube Channel:http://www.youtube.com/user/cebosound1?blend=1&ob=0

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.080 seconds