My oscar has two white spots on him..?

• lindsey123
  • lindsey123's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

lindsey123 created the topic: My oscar has two white spots on him..?

I bought my oscar about two weeks ago. I didn't notice it at first, but after I got him home I realized he had a white spot on his head. I figured at first that maybe he bumped into something, and it was an injury.
But recently I noticed another smaller one, so I did some research on here. He has also been hanging out by the filter a lot and rubbing up on the heater and the thermometer.
I turned up the temperature in his tank to about 84 degrees, and I added two tablespoons of aquarium salt today along with some "Quick Cure" for fast relief for Ick & Protozoan Parasites.
I have him in a 40 gallon tank. He's a tiger oscar, about 4 inches long. I also have an algae eater in there with him, he's actually bigger than the oscar. I had him in the for 2 months before I even got my oscar. I previously treated the tank with Seachem prime.
Is there anything else I can do?
www.oscarfishlover.com/members-network/9806-lindsey123/photos/photo?albumid=918#photoid=3925
The topic has been locked.
  • Firestorm8215
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Firestorm8215 replied the topic: Re: My oscar has two white spots on him..?

First let me ask you a couple of questions....Do you know what your readings are for pH , Ammonia , Nitrates and Nitrites ? Preferably tested with an API Master Test Kit. Did those holes just kind of show up or did they start out as tiny little holes that got bigger ? It is hard to tell a lot from the pictures. You should also never treat your tank with anything unless you are certain about what your dealing with. You mentioned you treated the tank with Prime....Prime should be added with every water change. How often and how much of the water do you change ? I also hope you know this tank is really not even big enough for one Oscar without any tankmates..
I know I asked a lot of questions , but the more we know the better we can help you know.
  • Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Re: My oscar has two white spots on him..?

There is a chance you killed your good bacteria with the ich medication.
  • lindsey123
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

lindsey123 replied the topic: Re: My oscar has two white spots on him..?

I have the strip test kits, which I know aren't as good as the drop test kits. But as far as it says all of the readings in the tank are okay. When I bought him he already had the one white spot on his head. I haven't noticed it growing in size, but I did notice another one on him about a week later.
whenever I added Prime I did a 25% water change. Is that enough? I do plan on upgrading the tank over time, this is just to start.
  • lindsey123
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

and I won't add anymore of the Ich medication if that is doing harm.. I just want his infection or whatever it is to go away.

Raise tank temp to 87f, keep it at that temp for 14 days after the last white spot is gone. This will stop their ability to replicate. Make sure that you have a lot of aeration in the tank.

If you really want to kill the little buggers, add 3 tablespoon of salt for every 5 gallons of water over 48 hour period. Dissolve in a cup with your tank water. Pour into tank.

Do a gravel vacuum everyday, changing about 25% of the water. When you add salt back in , add it for the amount removed from the aquarium. In your case, 6 tablespoons. Continue salt treatment for 14 days.

Get a API liquid freshwater master test kit (~18 on amazon).
The following user(s) said Thank You: lindsey123
  • lindsey123
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

I bought the API liquid freshwater master test kit for 18 dollars. Just finished testing. All of the levels were fine. PH was at 7.2, ammonia was at 0ppm, Nitraite NO2 was at 0ppm and Nitrate NO3 was also at 0ppm. I followed all of the instructions that came with the kit and it said that the levels were fine.
I've also kept the temperature up to 87 degrees, and I've done about 3 25% water changes adding the 6 tablespoons of salt into the water before I put it in.
He still seems to have the spot though. But it has only been a week.
  • lindsey123
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

oh yeah, plus I bought another filter. so there's two now.

Ok, so as i thought, the ich medication has caused you to lose your cycle. A cycled tank should have nitrate readings above 5ppm, and not 0. Take ammonia and nitrite readings every day. If you get ammonia or nitrites at 0.25ppm or higher, do a water change of 25% and put PRIME dosage for the entire aquarium volume. 48 hours later repeat 25% water change and prime dosage.
  • lindsey123
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

I'm not sure why our last few comments aren't showing up on here. But I went ahead and did the 50% water change and added the full dose of Prime with it yesterday. I just tested the water for everything in the kit and I got:

PH: 7.2
High range PH: between 7.8 and 8.0
Ammonia: between 0ppm and .25ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 5.0ppm

I know my ammonia should be at zero and my nitrates should probably be higher. Should I go a head and do another water change? If so 50% or 25%?
His spot on his head seems to be going away though. :) It is starting to fade and is looking a lot better since I did the 50% water change.
Thanks so much for your help.
If there's any other advice you'd like to give me, I'm all ears! I've been learning more about Oscars every time I'm on here either looking through the forums or on the other pages.
Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.128 seconds