General Finn won't Stop self harming -_-

• grilledchayse
  • grilledchayse's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

grilledchayse created the topic: General Finn won't Stop self harming -_-

okay so General Finn is seriously trying to commit suicide at this point. I have tried Velcro, and taping the lids down, duct tape works best. But it doesn't help that he continues to jump up and smash his face off of the lid or the center divider in the tank. I have taken EVERYTHING out of the tank, such as gravel, drift wood, plants, air stones, everything. I bought a new flat circle air stone that lays flat on bottom of the tank so he cannot do anything to it. And so far he doesn't bother it. He constantly is bashing himself off the heaters (which I obviously cannot remove) and he WILL NOT stop aggressively attacking his reflection on the tank. (The light is off almost 95% of the day) and while watching a movie last night, I hear a big loud bang and a gallon of water SOMEHOW splashed up and onto the floor, and he has done this to himself! I'm beginning to think I seriously just picked a bad egg, and I am out of ideas!

Also. Other than massive amounts of WC's, what else should I be doing to help heal this?

Thank you all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: General Finn won't Stop self harming -_-

Wow, he done some damage thats for sure. I wonder if his banging the heaters has damaged them somehow and hes getting shocked. Its summer everywhere now, try removing the heaters, even if his temp drops a few degrees, no biggie. But you are correct with the clean water treatment. I presume you test your water? All levels are good?

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL replied the topic: General Finn won't Stop self harming -_-

Blimey, he has bashed himself up hasn't he? Check to make sure there are no little flies flying around under the hood of your tank. I've experienced Oscars lunging at flies before that have either got trapped under the hood, all the small flies are often somehow thrive in those conditions. I'm wondering whether it's possible to put some kind of padding underneath the hood, maybe a piece of polystyrene?Other than that, I don't have any really good advice on how you can stop the Oscar from bashing itself on the hood. Has your Oscar got any places that he can retreat to at night? Maybe a nice piece of wood, large plant pot, or may be some pieces of wood. It may be a case that your Oscar need somewhere to retreat to when it's dark. Again, this is just surmising, but it certainly worth looking at.

As for the injuries, they do look quite nasty but I'm a great believer in healing injuries without intervention from medication. As long as you keep your water in really good condition, the injuries will kill. Obviously if they get infected and you may need to treat was some kind of antibiotic.

See what other people say :-)

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• grilledchayse
  • grilledchayse's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

grilledchayse replied the topic: Re:General Finn won't Stop self harming -_-

I have checked both heaters (one of them won't heat the whole tank) and with two of them on high, the thermometer (which is an external thermometer of course!) never reads higher than 76. I've been told heating the water higher would help heal, is this true? But neither thermometer is broke, nor have any edges on them that could cause THIS anyways. The only thing I can even imagine that has edges is that divider, so yes good idea to find padding for that. I'll look into that. But as far as something for him to go into, I don't know... I've placed so many things in there and it's just constant bashing it until it's out of sight (meaning I take it out) which is also why his mouth will NEVER heal.
As far as water parameters I checked them on Saturday and ammonia and nitrite were at 0 nitrate at 5.

And I checked the lid/light everything with the fixture and no flies/bugs any sort.

What I've seen most is he will start bashing his reflection (you know when he starts vibrating back and forth against the glass mouth open) and he gets so carried away with it he just goes.... UP!

Maybe I'll try a plant pot I haven't tried that yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thank you received: 127

streetsmart73 replied the topic: Re:General Finn won't Stop self harming -_-

hi there

1. wow! those wounds look fresh and painful.
2. your water parameters looks good.
3. light off for the time being.
4. reduce feeding.
5. keep up with the wc so that the wounds can heal fast.
6. btw, how old is the tiger?

"somewhere in time ... gone with the wind"

mwhite638 replied the topic: General Finn won't Stop self harming -_-

Sorry about your troubled oscar, mine has the same issues just not as extreme. Maybe try to fit a piece of pvc pipe that is slightly larger in diameter than the heaters to keep him from breaking and burning himself on them. Be careful to fit the pvc so it doesn't burn on the heaters as well.

• gorgoroth
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Evil IT Administrator
  • Thank you received: 80

gorgoroth replied the topic: General Finn won't Stop self harming -_-

there are special heater guards that you can buy, or even special heaters that are unbreakable. also some of the fluval heaters are mostly plastic on the outside, no vulnerable glass to hit anywhere :D

160 gallon south american
190 gallon malawi

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: General Finn won't Stop self harming -_-

If I remember correctly, this Oscar is in a 55GL tank......if this is the case, you may want to strongly consider getting a 75 or a 90 GL aquarium....55GL is what I & many others consider below bare minimum for an Oscar....simply not enough room, & he may feel cramped/trapped & want to escape his conditions. Also, you may want to consider stepping up both the frequency & volume of WC's....not sure of your schedule, but if this is indeed a 55GL dissolved metabolites will build up very quickly regardless of filtration....this will make a fish "skittish" & prone to flying around the aquarium/jumping.

Also, upon close inspection of these pics, your fish does have the beginnings of HITH, so I would step up the frequency/volume of WC's regardless of tank size, & introduce vitamins, veggies & fruit into this Oscars diet.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Thank you received: 41

purplecandle replied the topic: General Finn won't Stop self harming -_-

He actually shouldn't really be able to see his reflection..it just looks that way to us from the outside. If you stuck your head in his tank, you wouldn't see your reflection. You would see outside the tank.

He should be able to see 20ft out side his tank. Is there anything in that 20ft that could be upsetting him? Can he see his food?

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: General Finn won't Stop self harming -_-

purplecandle wrote: He actually shouldn't really be able to see his reflection..it just looks that way to us from the outside. If you stuck your head in his tank, you wouldn't see your reflection. You would see outside the tank.

He should be able to see 20ft out side his tank. Is there anything in that 20ft that could be upsetting him? Can he see his food?

Actually not true. With the lights over the tank, making the inside of the tank brighter than the outside, he can see his reflection on the walls of the aquarium. There are underwater videos in a aquarium showing a reflection on the side.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.125 seconds