General Finn won't Stop self harming -_-

• grilledchayse
  • grilledchayse's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

grilledchayse replied the topic: Re:General Finn won't Stop self harming -_-

He will be two (I'm assuming) in August.
I know the heaters need to go and need replaced with something more suitable for him. As literally the only place around here that sells anything revolving around aquariums is wal-mart, no LFS here. (Yes I know I can buy them online so that's not an excuse lol)

YES he is in a 55 gallon I know I need to upgrade ASAP just lacking time and funds but I know it's necessary. But that is a reasonable explanation @darth nandopsis. That's why I've never really put much in there with him because I know he needs the room. I will be stepping up on water changes for that reason and these new wounds anyways. But getting him to eat anything is seriously so hard. He eats beef heart, and worms with no trouble. The only veggie I can sometimes get him to eat is peas. And fruits have never turned out good. And he will NOT eat pellets. I've tried them all. Any size or shape. None.

And where the tank is now there isn't anything that he can see other than a wall or a couch.

I'm just going to have to suck it up and get him a bigger tank. And put forth much more time into him. We're moving soon so I've been trying to put it off until then...

I've moved three times in the last three years and obviously he has come with me, could that be causing stress on him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 41

purplecandle replied the topic: General Finn won't Stop self harming -_-

Have you tried slightly smashed, thawed shrimp?

• Thank you received: 2

Jonathan replied the topic: General Finn won't Stop self harming -_-

I had this all of the time - smashing T5 lights, ramming into things and tearing chunks out of himself, until finally my O ripped half of his head off and got a terrible infection (you can see in the mess he made in the forum). It prompted me to upgrade from 55 gal (imperial) to 140 gal with a flat sealed top.

I've not had a problem since. Really did the trick.

I noticed my O did sulk for a while after being moved, but I think there's no long term effects so long as there's no trauma.

• grilledchayse
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

So I found this, they say it's 150 gallon but I haven't asked for measurements yet. It doesn't seem to come with much more than stand and aquarium said they have a lid too... Asking 400. Worth it? Opinions?

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: General Finn won't Stop self harming -_-

Ask to see if it holds water, or get a written guarantee that it does. Check the silicone seals visually, look for any missing spots...seals should be one lone continuous line w/ no breaks at all. (Shine a powerful flashlight on the seals, it will help to see worn spots, imperfections, etc) Check the inside of the stand for stress fractures, if it's coming apart, etc. Bear in mind, anything sold used on CL or some other ad is being sold "as/is", so unless your state has laws that supercede that, once you buy it, it's yours, & if there is something wrong w/ it, you have no recourse legally (unless you get something in writing; check your local laws 1st). If they won't show you it holds water or give you a written guarantee, walk away.

It appears to have a metal screen on top, which means it may have been used for reptiles.......check to make sure the bottom glass isn't cracked & that the top brace is intact...lots of times the brace is melted, as people put heat lamps on them...not meant for those temps.

Also, $400 is a bit steep for a used aquarium, (used tanks go for $1 per gallon for pristine condition, & go down from there based on condition). I would see if they would take $300 1st, & maybe negotiate a middle ground on price. FYI, I got my 125GL on CL w/ a stand for $160.

Good luck. B)

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: General Finn won't Stop self harming -_-

I would def INSIST on seeing it full. Looks like it may have been sitting for a while. Stand looks a little rough, but if sound you could refinish it. Just eyeballing the pic, it doesnt appear to have the height of a 150, but looks to have the width of a 180? If its 18in wide its a 125 or 135. At 24ins its a 180. Could be wrong, just educated guessing. I think if it holds water and appears decent $300 would be fair, $350 max if its in VG condition. Keep in mind you have several hundred more dollars to invest in filtration, heaters, decor etc.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: General Finn won't Stop self harming -_-

I think 180GL also...could be wrong, but yeah that looks about right.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: General Finn won't Stop self harming -_-

Don't buy an aquarium that has been used for reptiles. The heating elements used will compromise the silicone seals.

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:General Finn won't Stop self harming -_-

I was looking for a tank off craigslist a while back and most of the tanks being sold werent that tanks in the pic. Dont buy it unless they fill it with water

Wanted yo add that imo not worth the headache in buy-in large tanks from an unknown source...plus what rocksor stated would be a deal breaker for me...thats allot of water
Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

• grilledchayse
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

It's actually at a pet store I love near but have a Facebook that I'm following. So I am going to look at it in person. Not sure if they'll negotiate but I'm going to damn well try. Craigslist doesn't work for me because all the listings are in towns 2 hours plus away from me. Thank you all for the input. It was probably used for reptiles... They sell mostly them... I will see.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.080 seconds