New Oscar sulks when lights turned on (room or tank lights)

• AV8R
  • AV8R's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2

AV8R created the topic: New Oscar sulks when lights turned on (room or tank lights)

Hi all, I just got my first Oscar, a beautiful albino tiger. I would say he is about 2-3 inches long.

Tank Specs:
25 gallon (Yes, I will be upgrading soon to a 60 gallon.
Single Oscar in the tank, no other fish mates
PH: 7
Alkalinity: 50-60
Hardness: 25
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20
Water temp: 74

I cycled the tank before getting him, but the ammonia is up a little right now (.5-1 PPM) (Just found out I have ammonia in my tap water) and I introduced some after doing a 30% water change. I will be using filtered well water from now on. I have had the Oscar for a week now. He has been a huge sulker, he ate for the first time today since getting him home. Any time I turn the lights in my room on, he lays on the bottom, he will usually be swimming around until I turn the lights on. Is this usual? I wanna get to know my buddy a bit more! I leave my tank lights off to try to stress him less. I have been doing daily water changed with well water to get the ammonia level down. Thanks for any help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: New Oscar sulks when lights turned on (room or tank lights)

Hi AV8R Welcome to OFL. Get that new tank soon!

If your filters are cycled and sufficient, the ammonia in the water shouldn't be an issue really. It should cycle out to 0 more or less instantly. You can always add Seachem Prime to help neutralize it as it goes in the tank during water changes. My tap water sits around 0.5 ppm and goes to 0 once it enters the filtration system in my tanks.

ETA: I should add that albinos are very sensitive to light, others that keep them on this forum will have more to say about it, but dim and limited lighting is best. I have a dramatic Oscar that likes to lay on his side during water changes. That is nothing to worry about, especially given he has been put in a new tank.

Good luck.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AV8R

• AV8R
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

AV8R replied the topic: New Oscar sulks when lights turned on (room or tank lights)

Thanks for the advice, I will try to keep light changes to a minimum

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: New Oscar sulks when lights turned on (room or tank lights)

Good job cycling before getting the oscar. As Poseiden mentioned, albinos are very sensitive to light. If fact, my tiger oscar is sensitive ... I had to get a dimmer light than the one that came with the tank. The stress of being in a new tank may contribute to his sensitivity so the situation might get better as he gets used to his surroundings.

• AV8R
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

AV8R replied the topic: Re:New Oscar sulks when lights turned on (room or tank lights)

He seems to be doing a bit better. He's swimming around when I'm not in front of the tank. He seems to sulk any time I show up in front of the tank, so I gotta kinda sneek to see him. He's been eating pellets, but not begging for them. He seems to hang out behind the filter a lot, swimming up and down behind it. I wonder if he's trying to hide behind it. Would it be a bad idea to put a piece of driftwood in the tank now, or would that cause too much stress? I feel it would add a better hiding spot. I've been soaking it for the past few days and was going to wait till he warmed up a bit more to install it

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: New Oscar sulks when lights turned on (room or tank lights)

It's best to boil driftwood to get most of the tannins out before putting it into the tank. The tannins can also lower your pH and soften your water. I'm not very familiar with the boiling process so someone else might want to give instructions.

If it were me, I'd prefer he had something to hide behind. You may actually see more of him if he feels secure in having a place as shelter. You could also try plastic plants.

EDIT: Your temperature is at the low end of the range. Your oscar might do better at a higher temperature. I have mine at 81ºf ... most members here keep their oscars above 80ºf. If you do raise the temp, do it very gradually over a few days.

• AV8R
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

AV8R replied the topic: Re:New Oscar sulks when lights turned on (room or tank lights)

Thanks for the advice UNC-CH. I believe I will work on boiling the driftwood so he has cover. Also as for my tempature, I have a heater in the tank, set at max, but its keeps the water from 73-74. I have a new one on order that's much more powerful that will be here monday. I will work on raising the tempature to about 80 over the next week.

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:New Oscar sulks when lights turned on (room or tank lights)

He wont do well for long in that size tank you need a bigger one like yesterday. Soak the dw un a bucket until the water clears. Also purigen will remove tannins from the water...

• Thank you received: 218

DBLN8 replied the topic: New Oscar sulks when lights turned on (room or tank lights)

Is the new 60gl going to be 48" long? if not don't bother buying it. your Oscar will need a minimum of 48" x 12" footprint (55gl) 48" x 18" (75gl) being preferable.

Welcome to OFL.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: New Oscar sulks when lights turned on (room or tank lights)

Good advice by all......hopefully you will get a new & bigger aquarium w/in the next few days......& a better heater....Oscars will not suffer long being kept in sub-par conditions.

Norm, PM sent. B)

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds