New Oscar sulks when lights turned on (room or tank lights)

• Thank you received: 218

DBLN8 replied the topic: New Oscar sulks when lights turned on (room or tank lights)

I responded but I'm not sure it went thru. I kept getting a "you can't send a blank message" whenever I hit send???

Darth Nandopsis wrote: Good advice by all......hopefully you will get a new & bigger aquarium w/in the next few days......& a better heater....Oscars will not suffer long being kept in sub-par conditions.

Norm, PM sent. B)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• AV8R
  • AV8R's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2

AV8R replied the topic: New Oscar sulks when lights turned on (room or tank lights)

Got my 60 gallon tank today! :woohoo:

I need to get it full of water and running. Needs a good cleaning too, my buddy sold it to me for cheap! I have a 200 watt heater and a 150 watt heater for it, so should be plenty of heat for them. Its a 4 foot tank that's 18" deep.

Any advice getting it running? I was going to put the old filter in the new filter to keep the cycle going. Is it a crazy idea to get him another o for a tank make? I know a lot of people say 60 is far to small and some say it's big enough with large weekly w/c

• Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: New Oscar sulks when lights turned on (room or tank lights)

Barely big enough for 1 Oscar. Water quality aside, stress from overcrowding is the issue. Oscar alone, no mates of any kind. An established filter, or media from one will get you going right away

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• AV8R
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

AV8R replied the topic: Re:New Oscar sulks when lights turned on (room or tank lights)

Okay, I'm going to stick with one O, and get a bigger tank when I move houses this summer.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: New Oscar sulks when lights turned on (room or tank lights)

Most SA & virtually all CA cichlids do not need nor do they appreciate tankmates. That is a trait that humans impose upon them, to the detriment of all.

As stated, 60GL is barely big enough for one. When dealing w/ robust species like Oscars, 60GL is a drop in the bucket.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: New Oscar sulks when lights turned on (room or tank lights)

DBLN8 wrote: I responded but I'm not sure it went thru. I kept getting a "you can't send a blank message" whenever I hit send???

Darth Nandopsis wrote: Good advice by all......hopefully you will get a new & bigger aquarium w/in the next few days......& a better heater....Oscars will not suffer long being kept in sub-par conditions.

Norm, PM sent. B)

Have to have a topic above the message. B)

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• AV8R
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

AV8R replied the topic: New Oscar sulks when lights turned on (room or tank lights)

Its amazing how big some peoples tanks are.. The 60 gallon is huge in my room. I can't even imagine a 150-200 gallon tank!

• Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: New Oscar sulks when lights turned on (room or tank lights)

Big fish need big tanks. I have a pair in a 180, singles, living alone in 125 and 135, and a single in a 265 community. Tanks are 6 and 7ft long. Foot long fish make these size tanks look not so big. I also have a very large CA cichlid who has a 180 all to himself. Tank is in no way too big for him

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: New Oscar sulks when lights turned on (room or tank lights)

180 gals really isn't that big. Truly. I've got 1 oscar, 1 sev and 9 SDs in there and in all honesty it's starting to look a bit crowded now everyone's grown up a bit.

If only people could see a little snapshot of what their 2" baby oscar will look like in that 20 - 30 gal tank in a year's time. I think a lot fewer people would own oscars in that case.

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: New Oscar sulks when lights turned on (room or tank lights)

AV8R wrote: Its amazing how big some peoples tanks are.. The 60 gallon is huge in my room. I can't even imagine a 150-200 gallon tank!

I thought my 75 gal was huge when I first got it, but having it now for more than half a year (and now a second one along with a 6 foot 125), doesn't seem all that big any more!

I am thinking with your 4 foot by 18 inch footprint that the 60 gallons are imperial gallons and that it is 75 US gallon tank? That is a nice size for one oscar. Some people keep two in that size, but typically they would be a breeding pair, and at the end of the day, your bioload will be huge and your fish will suffer eventually. I have one oscar in one now that is 10-11 inches long and he is really pushing the bio-load even though I have lots of filtration and have added lots of pothos plants to help neutralize the nitrates.

Keep us posted and good luck!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds