plase help my tiger oscar fish is white

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: plase help my tiger oscar fish is white

Superd71 is absolutely correct about the water changes and the water conditioner. You really need to get a water conditioner that removes chlorine.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: plase help my tiger oscar fish is white

Another chlorine factor that I forgot to mention... it will kill your filter bacteria, eliminating your biological filtration capabilities.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• naner
  • naner's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

naner replied the topic: plase help my tiger oscar fish is white

yes but 50%volume to change 2 times a week the water is not it stressful for the fish?A change of water (above 50%) leads to the destruction of a large number of nitrifying bacteria, which may lead to an increase in the level of ammonia and nitrite in water. Too frequent changes, in turn, can lead to stress on the fish.

• Thank you received: 158

Goranothos replied the topic: plase help my tiger oscar fish is white

naner wrote: yes but 50%volume to change 2 times a week the water is not it stressful for the fish?A change of water (above 50%) leads to the destruction of a large number of nitrifying bacteria, which may lead to an increase in the level of ammonia and nitrite in water. Too frequent changes, in turn, can lead to stress on the fish.

Wrong. 99% of your benefical bacteria reside inside your filter. If you use a proper water conditioner after you drain the water and before you put the new water in you will not hurt your BB. What leads to stress on the fish, especially cichlids, is infrequent/insufficient water changes. Many of the members on here change 75% or more of our water 2x a week. Some take the water down so low that the dorsal fins are out of the water.

“Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.” -Mike Tyson
The following user(s) said Thank You: naner

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: plase help my tiger oscar fish is white

Not sure where you read that, and doesn't matter really. Its completely false. PROVIDED you use conditioner, fresh water will never harm your fish, nor bacteria. I change more water than that just as regular maintenance, and have done every day changes when dealing with ailing fish. The more fresh water you provide for cichlids, the better they will do. That's a fact, anyone that states differently knows not what they are talking about.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 218

DBLN8 replied the topic: plase help my tiger oscar fish is white

• Thank you received: 35

AZ Steve replied the topic: plase help my tiger oscar fish is white

Typical amout of WC:

This is my water change EVERY 4 days.
I have 2 large canisters 1 large HOB and a sponge filter setup on a 90 gallon tank

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: plase help my tiger oscar fish is white

There are some species of delicate fish that it is stressful to do large water changes, such as the German Blue Ram cichlid, but this list doesn't include oscars and most other fish. So long as you make sure the tap water temp is within a degree or two of the tank water you will not stress the fish out. They will really appreciate the new water.

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: plase help my tiger oscar fish is white

As the others have stated, large water changes won't harm your Oscar. Some fish are sensitive to large water changes but definitely not oscars. I change 95% of the water in my small betta tanks every week and they also do fine.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: plase help my tiger oscar fish is white

Might as well join the party :evil: :

Anybody who states that this stresses your fish out OR it kills your bacteria colony OR it just isn't necessary OR anything else negative about frequent large-scale water changes for big cichlids is a complete & utter moron who knows absolutely NOTHING about this hobby & whose "advice", for lack of a better term, should be avoided like the plague.

So speaketh the Dark Lord. :evil:

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.078 seconds