• VonDutch
  • VonDutch's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

VonDutch replied the topic: HITH problem, tried everything

Goranothos wrote:

VonDutch wrote:
Yeah, a lot of agricultural activity around here. What are your thoughts on 'nitrate absorbers' (an ion exchanging material/media which traps nitrates) A LFS here sells 'nitrate reductor' which you can put in bags and put into your filter. Once a month you need to regenerate the product using salt, then you can place it back in the tank so it can soak up the nitrates again. A lot of guys from a big piranha forum in my country use it and promote it, saw some pics that nitrates went from 50 ppm to <10ppm in a few days and stayed there. I found some english info about the process because I couldn't translate it myself that well.

The ion exchange process for the removal of nitrates is both simple and effective. It operates in the same manner as a common water softener and can easily remove well over 90 percent of the nitrates. The process uses a strong-base anion exchange resin, which is regenerated with common salt (NaCl) or potassium chloride (KCl) The chloride ion of the salt is utilized by the resin. The sodium ion passes right through the resin bed and does not affect the process.

It's alot cheaper (little more work though) than a denitrator so it's worth a try imo, especially since i've seen a lot of proof of it working. Any thoughts on this?

What are my thoughts? Seems like some sort of nitrate "sponge" that needs to be recharged fairly often.

Not sure why you think that is cheaper than a denitrator. A denitrator is very simple and inexpensive to operate, once established. I doubt I spend more than ten minutes a week maintaining my denitrator, and a pint of cheap vodka lasts me several months as a nutrient source.

The thing is, everything in my cabinet fits so well right now with no visible cables/tubes. I don't think I will be able to hide a device like that, although I really like the idea of it. The nitrate absorbing material will only cost me 25$ one time and after that every 4 weeks some salt which is pretty much free. I think it could be an interesting experiment, providing some useful info for the community. I will keep track of things by doing tests and posting the results.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 158

Goranothos replied the topic: HITH problem, tried everything

VonDutch wrote: The thing is, everything in my cabinet fits so well right now with no visible cables/tubes. I don't think I will be able to hide a device like that, although I really like the idea of it. The nitrate absorbing material will only cost me 25$ one time and after that every 4 weeks some salt which is pretty much free. I think it could be an interesting experiment, providing some useful info for the community. I will keep track of things by doing tests and posting the results.

Sounds reasonable to me. Keep us updated. :)

“Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.” -Mike Tyson

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: HITH problem, tried everything

If JBL is what you're going to use, add it to a freeze dried medium....like krill....absorbs all the vites, no waste. just protein & vites. Marinate it overnight in a Tupperware for full absorbtion.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• VonDutch
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Just gave him his vitamin+shrimp cube. I'm determined to win this battle. Will post again if I have updates/further questions, thanks so far!

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: HITH problem, tried everything

If hexamita is the culprit, espom salt solution soaked will yield fast results, within and you will see the holes start to close up within 7 days. I wouldn't use it as a last resort. Epsom salt solution soaked pellets is safe for fish.

• VonDutch
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Yesterday morning, this came in the mail. Tiny plastic beads that have been coated with ion-exchange resin that catches nitrates in the water. It's 1 litre of material and the weight is 600 grams / 1.3 lbs

The beads have been put in 2 old pantyhoses, so water can flow trough it but the tiny beads stay inside. I opened up my external filter and put the 2 bags inside.

I tested the nitrates level before I did anything and it was about 15mg/l (as I expected since my tap water is already 12.5)

Today, exactly 24 hours after I put the stuff in my filter I tested the water again. I was pretty skeptical about the stuff but it seems it's doing a great job. I would say the nitrates are about 7.5 mg/l right now (camera makes it look a little bit darker than it was). This is only after 24 hours, I'm eager to see what it will be in 48 hours.

Would be pretty awesome if it would become close to 0, which is possible when using this stuff. I paid 20 euro's for this stuff and you can use it for like 10 years. The only thing I have to do is to rinse it every now and again with a salt solution so it releases the nitrate particles and can be used again. I made a calculation to find out when it’s time to regenerate.

1 litre of this stuff will pick up 30 grams of nitrates. My tapwater is about 12.5mg/l x 350 litres(tank size) = 4.4 grams of nitrates. I do 2x 75% water changes a week so I’m adding about 6.5 grams (4.4x2x0.75) of nitrates to my tank every 7 days. So with WC’s alone, I would need to regenerate the stuff within 4 weeks before it gets saturated and doesn’t work anymore. But my Oscar is also responsible for adding nitrates. Let’s take a look at that.
1 gram of pure protein = 0.16 grams of ammonia. Hikari cichlid gold has a minimum protein content of 40%. I am feeding 2.5 grams of pellets every day. This comes down to 1 gram of protein a day.
1 gram ammonia x 3.3 = nitrite x 1.33 = nitrate. So 0.16 x 3.3 x 1.33 = 0.70 grams of nitrates every day, or about 5 grams of nitrate per week. (when you calculate mg/l, I my case an Oscar would be adding something like 2mg/l of nitrates ever day, which sounds about right).
So in total, about 12 grams of nitrates are added to my tank every 7 days. Since the resin can only take up 30 grams, it would be smart for me to regenerate it every 14 days.
I’m not really good at math and ofcourse there are other factors that play a role in the formation of nitrates but I think this calculation gives a good basic idea of how much is added. For 20 euros and a minimal amount of work every 14 days, I would say this stuff is a pretty good investment. I will update again tomorrow to see if nitrate levels reach 0 ;)

Thanks for the report, VonDutch. No doubt the product you purchased actually works to remove nitrates. Please keep us posted as to how well it continues to work after several cycles. I am especially curious as to how much time and work you put into the regeneration process on a monthly basis.

As we discussed earlier, I am a fan of denitrators. It will be interesting for me to compare how much time/effort/and expense you put into maintaining this product VS a denitrator.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: HITH problem, tried everything

Long-term, a de-nitrator will be more cost effective, but for short term results, ion-exchange resins will work. Eventually, you won't be able to re-charge the IER. Each time you re-charge it, it will be able to adsorb a little less each time, & using salt as the re-charge medium does release salts back into the aquarium. Glad this is working. You should also look into a Pothos filter...a natural & very-cost effective means of eliminating nitrates:

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

Darth makes a good point, in that a HOB planted with Pothos can be a cost effective nitrate filter....one that I plan to try in the future.

A denitrator is also a natural filter. After all, aren't bacteria just as "natural" as plants? God made bacteria and plants, or they both evolved from cosmic goo, depending on your beliefs . :) Either way, they are both part of nature.

• VonDutch
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Goranothos wrote: Darth makes a good point, in that a HOB planted with Pothos can be a cost effective nitrate filter....one that I plan to try in the future.

A denitrator is also a natural filter. After all, aren't bacteria just as "natural" as plants? God made bacteria and plants, or they both evolved from cosmic goo, depending on your beliefs . :) Either way, they are both part of nature.

I like both the pothos filter and the denitrator because it seems more natural. It's just that I don't have any room left in my cabinet, so it's nice to still be able to get rid of nitrates using resin. By the way Darth, the ionexchange resin only takes up the chloride ion from the salt when regenerating, the sodium passes trough and does nothing , so when regenerated and rinsed, there wont spill any salt in your tank, only chloride (not to be mistaken with chlorine)

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.080 seconds