HITH problem, tried everything

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: HITH problem, tried everything

yes, once the brine solution is added for regeneration, the salt no longer exists anymore. You have a resin with chloride ions, while the sodium ions are left in the water. When the newly recharged resin is put into water the nitrate exchanges places with the chloride ions on the resin. The chloride ions are not harmful to fish and they will take through their gills. In fact, chloride ions in the water will prevent the fish from taking in poisonous nitrite ions.

How ion exchange resins work.
www.lenntech.com/Data-sheets/Ion-Exchange-for-Dummies-RH.pdf

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• VonDutch
  • VonDutch's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

VonDutch replied the topic: HITH problem, tried everything

Rocksor wrote: yes, once the brine solution is added for regeneration, the salt no longer exists anymore. You have a resin with chloride ions, while the sodium ions are left in the water. When the newly recharged resin is put into water the nitrate exchanges places with the chloride ions on the resin. The chloride ions are not harmful to fish and they will take through their gills. In fact, chloride ions in the water will prevent the fish from taking in poisonous nitrite ions.

How ion exchange resins work.
www.lenntech.com/Data-sheets/Ion-Exchange-for-Dummies-RH.pdf

That's correct. Tapwater also contains chloride btw, in my country it's been set at 200mg/L. It has a lot to do with how the water tastes. Pretty good article btw, I was looking for something like that.

Today, about 40 hours after I put the resin in the filter, nitrate levels are pretty much 0. Very happy with that, it's more than I could hope for :)

I've been giving him the epsom soaked pellets as well btw, this is the 3rd day. I hope the things I'm doing will result in the HITH clearing up.

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: HITH problem, tried everything

I hope so too, you're giving it your best shot and I commend you for that.

That resin is impressive stuff by the looks of it.

• Thank you received: 158

Goranothos replied the topic: HITH problem, tried everything

I agree. Good work, VonDutch. Keep us posted on how your fish are doing.

“Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.” -Mike Tyson

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: HITH problem, tried everything

I'm surprised at how effective it is. I tried a nitrate absorbing pouch by fluval some time ago but didn't think it was making a significant difference. I look forward to hearing about how it's performing days and weeks from now and especially after you've recharged it. I'd be tempted to try a similar brand considering the great results. Your oscar is in good hands.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: HITH problem, tried everything

UNC-CH wrote: I'm surprised at how effective it is. I tried a nitrate absorbing pouch by fluval some time ago but didn't think it was making a significant difference. I look forward to hearing about how it's performing days and weeks from now and especially after you've recharged it. I'd be tempted to try a similar brand considering the great results. Your oscar is in good hands.

It all depends on how many beads you have and how often you change it out. The one Von has looks to be a pretty large bag.

• VonDutch
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

UNC-CH wrote: I'm surprised at how effective it is. I tried a nitrate absorbing pouch by fluval some time ago but didn't think it was making a significant difference. I look forward to hearing about how it's performing days and weeks from now and especially after you've recharged it. I'd be tempted to try a similar brand considering the great results. Your oscar is in good hands.

A 1 litre bag is supposed to be enough for 400 litres, so I went with 1 litre. Don't know how big that pouch was you had? I'm guessing a bit smaller. According to my calculations I'm going to have to rinse the beads every 2 weeks. I might buy some more if I want to extend that period. Time will tell!

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: HITH problem, tried everything

I looked up the product I was had tried and with only one bag, you're using much more ... maybe over 10 times as much. Also, the brand I tried couldn't be recharged lasting only for one month if I remember correctly.

What's the brand you're using?

• VonDutch
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

• UNC-CH wrote: I looked up the product I was had tried and with only one bag, you're using much more ... maybe over 10 times as much. Also, the brand I tried couldn't be recharged lasting only for one month if I remember correctly.

What's the brand you're using?

That seems to be something different than what I'm using. That stuff from fluval is also usable in saltwater tanks, ionexchange resin isn't (because salt will release the nitrates from the resin again)

There wasn't a brand on the bag. But I did notice that a lot of people who keep koi fish use this. So any webshop you can find for koifishkeepers will probably sell it. I got it from a local koi shop.
    The following user(s) said Thank You: UNC-CH

• VonDutch
    • Fresh Boarder
    • Fresh Boarder

Was doing some tank maintenance and although nitrates are still 0 I wanted to regenerate the resin just to see what it picked up. So I tossed the bags in a bucket with water and salt, put in a little pump for circulation and after 30 minutes I tested the bucket of water which then should be absolutely full with nitrates. Boy was I right :P

Cool to see it all working. Put the bags back in the filter and its running again now. I'll probably buy another bag because I still have quite some room left in the filter unit. Now I'm gonna keep it in there and test the water until nitrates go up again so I can find out how often it needs maintenance.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
    Time to create page: 0.096 seconds